TN getting a jump on obamacare thanks to our State Reps.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) interesting...

State Representatives Ask State Attorney General to intervene in federal healthcare legislation

(December 21, 2009, NASHVILLE) -- On Monday, State Representatives Susan Lynn (R-Lebanon) and Debra Young Maggart (R-Hendersonville) asked Tennessee State Attorney General Robert Cooper to prepare to take the appropriate legal action against the federal government in the event HR 3200, the controversial federal healthcare reform legislation, passes into law. The legislators requested this action in order to grant Tennessee relief from the unfunded mandate contained in the bill that Tennessee complies with the expansion of the federal Medicaid program.

The letter notes that under the bill Tennessee would be forced to expand the state’s Medicaid program potentially costing the citizens of the state $1.4 billion dollars in additional state taxpayer funds annually.

“Such an increase would place a great burden on the citizens of this state. It is clear by the wording of the legislation itself that not every state would face a similar and equal burden,” stated Rep. Debra Maggart.

Lynn explained that, “We see this as a violation of equal protection of the law, an affront to our sovereignty, and as a breach of the U.S. Constitution.”

Lynn and Maggart noted that the passage of this bill is imminent so it is important that the AG prepare now to take immediate action, and they referenced Governor Bredesen’s recent comment that “we can’t print money.” The great issue for the states is that states are not allowed to borrow money for operations expenses. “Obviously, this is something that many in Washington just don’t understand,” stated Lynn.

Guest HexHead
Things may get ugly fast if this thing passes - people are starting to see that all the bullcrap rhetoric Obama and his congressional cohorts have been spewing is going to cost them HUGE.

Good. Maybe when it all hits the fan the sheep will stir.

Guest Oaklands

I made initial opinions on the last 2 democratic Presidents when I heard them speak for the first time.

Clinton opinion: I looked at my wife and said he looks like a guy hustling women in a bar. I guarantee you he is a womanizer.

Obama opinion: How can 1 guy say so much about nothing. He is a fluent speaker but has nothing to offer the country. I'm scare of him.

Hmmm....I do trust my gut instincts.

I'm glad our state is willing to go after them. Our country is heading towards a real shakeup if things don't change.

Looking at some of the stuff in the bill as it passed the Senate, I would be not-at-all surprised if a whole lot of states decided to take their ball and go home.

I'm hopeful, even... because that would be preferable to what obamacare would do to our economy, our healthcare, our civil rights...

Guest Drewsett
If (when?) it passes, I hope it remains stirred until November. I think these "yes voters" are hoping it will be forgotten come election day. IMHO, that's why they want to rush it through before the end of the year... that way it will be old news to the sheeple at the polls.

If challengers have any sense at all they will make sure to include in any ad campaign that the incumbent voted yes on this legislation...so I don't see any real danger of anyone forgetting.

If challengers have any sense at all they will make sure to include in any ad campaign that the incumbent voted yes on this legislation...so I don't see any real danger of anyone forgetting.

I agree. Anyone who doesn't vote YES and decides to run against someone who did next election will have kryptonite in their pocket. Sad thing is, O-sheeple are starting to fall in line with his way of thinking. "LET BIG BROTHER TAKE CARE OF YOU" so the biggest issue I see is keeping the kool-aid drinkers out of the booth !

The court challenge that probably has the best shot at being won is the part of the Senate bill that prevents future Congresses from passing legislation that overturns the bill. I can't forsee the courts allowing this to go unchecked. My understanding would be that such a measure would require a Constitutional amendment.

Tennessee can refuse to allow this bill to take effect within our borders but only if we refuse all, and I mean all, federal dollars. At least, that's what the courts have ruled in the past. It's really the only way to regain a state's sovereignty.

Guest GimpyLeg
The court challenge that probably has the best shot at being won is the part of the Senate bill that prevents future Congresses from passing legislation that overturns the bill. I can't forsee the courts allowing this to go unchecked. My understanding would be that such a measure would require a Constitutional amendment.

Tennessee can refuse to allow this bill to take effect within our borders but only if we refuse all, and I mean all, federal dollars. At least, that's what the courts have ruled in the past. It's really the only way to regain a state's sovereignty.

I'm no economist, but THAT would not hurt my feelings in the least.

Yup, unless Tennessee declared sovereignty from the United States (seceded from the nation) Washington D.C. would still get your money in the form of income taxes and we would have highways that would not get repaved and infrastructure that would not get built.

Double edged sword that one.

Or the state could take half of what the IRS takes from us now and have plenty to pave roads and keep infrastucture intact.....