My first experience with Coal Creek Armory

Wingshooter

I understand that retail businesses are extremely busy the day after Christmas, but if you don't have time to help a customer... don't answer the freakin' phone.

They are about 1.5 hours drive from my house, and there are other gun shops the opposite direction from me. I plan to buy a few hundred dollars worth of AR parts today if I can find what I am looking for. The only thing CCA could tell me was they are too busy, and I would just have to come look for myself. I kindly explained that I was 1.5 hours drive. I simply asked if they had a particular AR15 upper before I made the drive.... "You'll just have to come see", she says. I'll order from somewhere else on the internet before I go to CCA without knowing if I will even find what I am looking for.

I was nice to that lady, and she was rude. Where's the Christmas spirit? :)

Again, I understand that a business has to help the customers (cash) in the store first, but I was willing to hold. Oh well, it's not a big deal... just my first impression of CCA.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was treated that way the last time I was in there. I walked out leaving $850 worth of merchandise sitting on the counter. The guy stomped off in a huff because I was asking some questions about said merchandise. So I left. Hope I don't have a restocking fee if I ever go back in there. :). Decent range if you need to shoot but prices can easily be beat online. Yes, I'm all about spending local dollars but if mine aren't good enough to your business to merit minimal customer service I will take them elsewhere.

Contrast that to the service I just got and saw at Benton's:

While waiting on me, the very nice gent excused himself politely to answer the phone several times (they were slammed). One call must have took some explaining, and oddly enough sounded like someone having to travel in. He asked them politely to hold, then turned to me and asked if it was ok if he handled the call.I've only been to Benton's a handful of times, but have always gotten good service.

If you could drive far enough, I'd recommend Hero Gear, otherwise, at least Benton isn't too far for us Clevelanders.

Contrast that to the service I just got and saw at Benton's:

While waiting on me, the very nice gent excused himself politely to answer the phone several times (they were slammed). One call must have took some explaining, and oddly enough sounded like someone having to travel in. He asked them politely to hold, then turned to me and asked if it was ok if he handled the call.I've only been to Benton's a handful of times, but have always gotten good service.

If you could drive far enough, I'd recommend Hero Gear, otherwise, at least Benton isn't too far for us Clevelanders.

I have always had good experiences at Benton's as well. I have purchased archery and hunting gear there before. For some reason I haven't been out there in a while. They are not really that far, and they have a sizable firearms department, too. Thanks for the reminder about them.

I have always had good experiences at Benton's as well. I have purchased archery and hunting gear there before. For some reason I haven't been out there in a while. They are not really that far, and they have a sizable firearms department, too. Thanks for the reminder about them.

My last experience with CCA wasn't good. I called and asked if they had a brick of .22. They said yes, I asked the price and it was what I was willing to pay at the time. Drove over there.

Me, "I would like a brick of .22 please."

counter guy, " we don't sell it by the brick."

Me, " I just called and was told the price on a brick was $xx."

counter guy, " we don't sell it by the brick anymore, too many people were complaining about getting bad rounds."

(what this had to do with the situation, I still don't know. Sounds like they should just quit selling .22 all together).

this would have easily been solved.

She could have told you they were slammed, asked for your phone number, took the info, helped a reasonable number of customers in the store. Then looked up what you needed and called you back. Pretty simple really. I do not blame you for feeling put out by them That is horrible customer service. People on the phone are just as important in the big picture as those in the store right now.

Sounds like not much has changed at that place.

The owner "JWP" used to post here, have not seen anything by him in ages.

While I do not defend the rude treatment of gun owners who know what they want and what to expect, CCA is the only gun store in West Knoxville and they put up with astounding amounts of idiocy.

I have been there many times and you would not believe the crap you see and hear. One of my favorites was when a woman, who knew nothing about the Bersa 380 she owned, came in and asked the guy at the counter how to disassemble for cleaning. He screwed around with that thing for about 5 minutes before figuring it out. :)

Of all the gun store I've ever been to CCA is the busiest. Not much of a selection but that place is always crowded with people who have no clue and are looking for guidanace. They are lead to display cases filled with the latest plastic pistols by attendents wearing 1911's and bitching about Glocks.

The sad thing is that place has alot of potential, but their business is not hurting at all.

I work very close to CCA and often eat my lunch in their parking lot. I go in about once a week and look around, talk guns with the customers and employees.

I have always been treated well there. One thing that I have noticed over the 2 years I have been going there is that they have a high employee turnover rate. Most of their guys are young. Young guys working in that environment tend to develope chips on the shoulders.

The crazy amount of business that they do makes me want to open up a gun store of my own, seems the business potential is there.

While I do not defend the rude treatment of gun owners who know what they want and what to expect, CCA is the only gun store in West Knoxville and they put up with astounding amounts of idiocy.

I have been there many times and you would not believe the crap you see and hear. One of my favorites was when a woman, who knew nothing about the Bersa 380 she owned, came in and asked the guy at the counter how to disassemble for cleaning. He screwed around with that thing for about 5 minutes before figuring it out. :koolaid:

Of all the gun store I've ever been to CCA is the busiest. Not much of a selection but that place is always crowded with people who have no clue and are looking for guidanace. They are lead to display cases filled with the latest plastic pistols by attendents wearing 1911's and bitching about Glocks.

The sad thing is that place has alot of potential, but their business is not hurting at all.

True, they DO put up with a ton of stupidity and rudeness in their direction, but it's still no excuse. Especially when a polite, well spoken customer is in front of them. The wall ought to drop then.

There is one mature guy there that DID always treat me well. Darned if I can remember his name though. I once walked in, saw one of the rude guys, did not see him, and walked out. I actually haven't been back since.

Oh, and I have been treated bad when I was the only one in the store. Many times. The last time was when I asked if they had a $100 Galco holster in stock (that I didn't see hanging up on display) and they said they had a new shipment in and there was probably one in the shipment, but that they didn't want to go look for it. That is not just poor customer service, but laziness. I bought the holster somewhere else. I do shoot there from time to time, but I won't buy anything from the store. B

I work very close to CCA and often eat my lunch in their parking lot. I go in about once a week and look around, talk guns with the customers and employees.

I have always been treated well there. One thing that I have noticed over the 2 years I have been going there is that they have a high employee turnover rate. Most of their guys are young. Young guys working in that environment tend to develope chips on the shoulders.

The crazy amount of business that they do makes me want to open up a gun store of my own, seems the business potential is there.

High turnover rate is usually a sign of employees being treated poorly by management or the owner. Combine that will a high stress work environment and you have the perfect recipe for high turnover.

I have been in there twice, and both times was in my opinion bad. I witnessed what some might call "idiocy" It wasn't from someone that thinks they are a firearms guru, talking to the staff. It was the staff talking DOWN to customers asking questions. Someone not familiar with firearms asking questions about different ones. Instead of enlightening the new prospects into the joys of gun ownership. Im sure they were turned away completely.

I have seen the same behavior towards customers at Guns and *******s in Memphis. I watched an employee answer the phone. It appeared the caller wanted to know if they had a couple of firearms. The staff member got frustrated and told the caller to come to the shop. Then hung up the phone. He then loudly berated the caller. If he worked for me I would have fired him on the spot.

It's sad b/c it seems alot of folks are wanting to get into shooting and need guidance. I was in that boat 6 months ago and have learned a TON from you all here on TGO! I also pick a bone with another one of our local shops that has a good website and online shopping but won't respond to e-mails about merchandise--trying to do too much, too soon perhaps? Still will try and give 'em my business. BTW, got the Range Pass at CCA b/c it's close. Expensive IMO...brother-in-law shoots in SW Ohio for ~$50/year unlimited for him and the whole family!! Dang!:(

I've been into that place a few times and had some very friendly service, but also been there when I was treated like an annoyance because I'm still new to this and I've asked a lot of questions. All I can say is the guys at Gunny's in Maryville seem knowledgeable and make time talk even when they are busy. I've also been to PDO in Lenior City they were super friendly and seem to have really good prices. As a small-business guy, I prefer to support local business whenever possible. I'll likely comparison shop these two shops and skip out on CCA.

Before I completed my education, I spent years working in bicycle shops. As an experienced rider and long-time mountain bike racer, I've seen countless shop guys talk down to people new to the sport or who will never be as dedicated or "fit" as they are. I've always thought it was a really good way to turn people off to the sport.

Everyone was new to their hobbies at some point and if shop owners value the public perception of gun owners and want shooting to be a popular hobby they should take the time to answer the "stupid questions". Just because the guys at CCA (or any other store) answer the same question 50 times a day doesn't mean they should be rude about it.

Why should I go to CCA where I might get lucky and get decent service, if I can go to PDO or Gunnys where I'm pretty sure I will get good service?

Edited by JReedEsq
Added new
Guest hoss6175

Thank you Hero-Gear and Benton Shooters for being there for us and taking the time

to answer questions and make us feel like we are important. I have been to both places more times than i can think of and have always been treated like a friend.

I know where to spend my money.

I was in Knoxville about a year ago to purchase a few long rifles from a fellow TGO'er, seeing that I don't get up to Knoxville much I decided I would try to visit a few places up there that carry firearms and ammo. I stopped by Gander Mountain and browsed nice store but nothing caught my eye. I then decided to visit CCA I found the store without much trouble, I go in and first thing that catches my eye was a Mosin Nagant M44 it wasn't the rifle that caught my eye but the price $239!! for a basic run of mill Mosin. Ok well maybe that was on consignment but still... I start to browse and not once did I have someone come up and ask me if I was finding everything alright. Well being a younger guy(20) I've had this treatment in many a gun store. I then started overhearing a conversation with one of the CCA sales guy and an older couple. The older couple came in looking for a home defense shotgun, while the guy was helping them he was just flat out being a know it all and kinda of rude to the older couple. Well that drew the line for me if that would have been my grandparents I would have definitly had a few choices words for the guy, but CCA will not get a dime out me ever. JWP, used to post on here I haven't seen him chime in awhile, he has addressed this issue before and he seemed to care about the situation and a few members even commented back about how their experiences seemed to be better when visiting CCA. Avidently they might be having some issues again though.

Guest Caveman

I've been into CCA a couple times and have not been happy either times, which is why I no longer go there.

First time I went I just wanted to get my Sardius SD9 cleaned and look for a holster for it. They first made fun of my gun and the fact that I wanted to get it cleaned by their gunsmith. I knew nothing about how to clean this gun because there is limited info on the internet about it, yet even though none of the front desk help knew anything about this gun either, I was made to feel retarded because I didnt clean it myself. The gunsmith cleaned it for me and I found a holster for it after I was told they had nothing that would fit it.

The second time I went I just wanted a Hogue grip for my Ruger. I found the grip with no help from them and when I attempted to pay for it they asked for my ID. I asked why they needed it and they informed me that their new policy is any purchase over ten dollars requires the buyers DL info to be entered into their system. I explained that I wasnt interested in giving them my info so they could track my purchases in order to give me "discounts" but apparently it is required no matter. I left and I will not go back.