Your Vote On What To Carry

Guest dreh

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I carry a Beretta 92FS all year round and I'm not a big person (5'10" and about 155 lbf) Buy decent holsters that fit your carry style and you will have no problems concealing a full size pistol.

I have been encouraged to move to a revolver for Spring and Summer.

(1) What are your thoughts concerning this suggestion?

Personally, I say carry whatever you want to carry year round.

(2) If you agree with it, what would you suggest for a revolver?

I agree to with it to a certain extent. In all honesty and I know I may catch hell over this but I like the Taurus Model 85 in stainless.

(3) If you disagree with the suggestion, what would be your recommendation?

Continue to carry what you have or get a Springfield XD SC

Thanks for all the input. This is a great place to come and find help.

I think a good combo set would be the XDsc with a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster (when your clothing will allow) and a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster for running a marathon, working out at the gym, or any other event when you may be wearing shorts and a tucked in t-shirt.

If the Taurus 85 is good and reliable then go for it. The Taurus 85 has been around for al long time and most that I have seen and handled and shot are fine revolvers.

I have to agree. Some people hate taurus to no end but I like the 85 model.

Guest louderthebetter

I've lots to choose from but my favorite is a Para-Ordnance P10-45 in Kramer

holster.

With 10 rounds of 45 in a small package,this is my favorite carry gun.

The Kramer sits high on my strong side and I find it to be very comfortable and

easily concealed by a vest or shirt worn out side my pants.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Ruger SR9, in a Galco 20 buck belly band, it works just fine and will even hold a BUG if I like. I have tried a few IWB holsters but like the belly band the best.

BUG is either the PPK or the newer PK 380. I am really liking the PK more and more each time I shoot it plus it holds two more than the PPK.

I also have a PPS-9 that will most likely become Primary come warmer weather. It was bought for that purpose :poop: I have however been unable as of yet to find any 8 round mags for it and it only came with one, a 7 which I do feel is enough. I have also been having a heck of a time tinkering with the sights on it.

Those issues and the price was the reasoning behind the Ruger, it is 17+1 and came with two mags. And while a bit longer in grip and barrel it is as thin as the PPS and was highly accurate out of the box.

During these colder months my BUG is in a pocket holster in my jacket pocket, or at times in the belly band opposite the primary, come summer it will have to go in a pocket all the time or not be carried, because I dont think a simple t-shirt or Polo shirt will conceal two guns very well in the belly band. Cold weather sure gives us more options.

I have also mounted a holster on to the side of the console in my van for easier access while driving. ( I had to get a lefty to make it work) I just got that thing the other day but for the life of me can not remember the brand. It will hold every pistol that I have mentioned though, which I think is pretty handy.

I am not 100% certain that even when I get my spare mags and get the sights set that I will give up the SR9 for the PPS as a primary come summer. As the SR9 is a super sweet shooter.:) I have read a bunch negative stuff about them but have had zero issues with mine with around 800 through it so far.

I appreciate all the input. Here is what goes in to my ultimate decision:

(1) Whatever I carry will be for warm weather carry.

(2) Wardrobe requires that I wear slacks with tucked in shirt.

(3) Therefore, something hanging on the outside of my slacks will not work.

(4) IWB with clips that can be seen across my belt will not work.

(5) This is the key----Whatever I carry must fit in a holster that can go inside my pockets. There is no other option.

***If you have any other suggestions, I am certainly open. Thanks for your help.

If your pants have slightly larger pockets, a kel-tec PF9 would be a good option. I pocket carry my g26, but that is in jeans... I also have a 642, and I agree the "bulge" looks natural and is not a problem at all. A better pocket gun than a g26 for sure. However, I shoot my g26 much better therefore that is what I carry. I just convinced my father to buy a pf9, and I was trying it out around the house in my pocket and it fits great. If you don't mind 380's the new Tarus 380 is awesome, or of course the p3at or the Ruger "Little Copied Pistol" are good options as well.

Edited by RoDan
Guest USMarine7564

It depends on whether it is a formal occasion, or casual! For formal events, (weddings, church, etc.) it has to be the ever styling Walther PPK in .380. Very popular with the ladies, thin, lightweight and my wife thinks it is "sexy" as the chrome and black highlight and accentuate the suit at black tie affairs. :devil:

For everyday life, the PPS in .40. Thinner than most 9mm, it hides very well and it has more than enough punch. :bat:

(5) This is the key----Whatever I carry must fit in a holster that can go inside my pockets. There is no other option.

***If you have any other suggestions, I am certainly open. Thanks for your help.

1st a disclaimer...I am NOT a fan of small/pocket semi-autos. I'd pick a wheel-gun anyday, ESPECIALLY for pocket carry. that said, I think it'd be hard to beat the Ruger LCR...you can get one with C/T grips, and still pay less than you will for a j-frame Smith.

I love my LCR; I carry it just as you've described...front strong-side pocket in a Desantis Nemesis. I carry a speed-strip or 2 for reloads.

right now I'm carrying the Hornady Critical Defense +p .38...shoots pretty sweet; recoil isn't bad at all.

to be honest, I end up carrying this gun more than any of my others...it's just so easy to throw it in my pocket and go. ZERO problems concealing it either.

• 2 weeks later...

My normal carry is a Glock 19 and I wear suits so we're much in the same boat... I just got an Aholster pocket holster in OD Green to match my new OD Glock 26. It was recommended in another thread on this forum as the best holster to make the baby Glock a pocket gun. I've not carried the 26 in it yet but I'll provide a report soon. I wear suits and I don't want to have to wear my suit jacket all summer. I also really wanted my summer gun to be as close to my winter gun as possible. I think it will work fine with pleated dress slacks (like I wear with a suit or sport coat), provided I wear a sturdy belt. I know it will not work with jeans and with more casual khakis (think flat front Dockers), it looks like I've got a wallet in my front pocket. If a situation is casual enough for jeans, I'll either wear cargo pants with big pockets or I'll carry the G26 IWB with an untucked polo. I'm like 5'11", 160lb with a 31" waist so I've already figured out that if I want to wear a tighter polo or T-shirt my G19 will print if I move around much. The G26 is much less likely to print in the same Crossbreed holster I have for my G19. Wouldn't it be better to have matching Glocks in the same caliber instead of a Glock and a revolver? Here's a link for the holster:

http://www.lefthandholster.com/holsters.html

My answer may not work if you like to wear tight pants or you want assurance you'll never look like you've got something in your pocket (although with the holster you won't "print".) Since you already carry and practice with a Glock 32, I'd say get a Glock 33. You'll be able to use the same ammo, you'll shoot it almost as well as your 32 (probably much better than a snubby revolver) and you can use the 32 mags in the 33 if you'd like.

Edited by JReedEsq