Favorite chili recipe?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is Chili time!

My standard way of going about it is with lots and lots of spices and fresh peppers, onions, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, etc with some meat and maybe dark red kidney or black beans to hold it all together.

I like it HOT.

Have tried a couple of these Texas championship brews with great success:

Recipes From Past TICC Champions

They take alot of work but it's like a party in your mouth!

Those store-bought mixes are awful.

Guest Jcochran88

I start with roasted garlic, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, jalapenos, smoked paprika, lots and lots of onions, a little celery, 2 cans of purred tomatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes, red kidney beans (both light and dark) then add about 1.5 of meat(I really like to use venison, but use what ya got). um um Might make some tonight.

Guest HexHead

I hardly ever use ground beef, unless I plan to use it on hot dogs. :rofl:

Round steak cut into bite size pieces. I almost NEVER use beans. On the very rare occasions I do, I use black beans. I also use diced fire roasted tomatoes in addition to the onions, garlic and peppers. I won't go into spices, but I also use either some chocolate (extract) and/or cinnamon.

I think the trick to really good chili, no matter what meat, beans or so on that you use, is in the peppers. I always use dried Ancho, Arbol, and New Mexican chilis. Plump them up in boling water and then grind and strain into the other ingredients. For heat you can use cayene powder or fresh Habaneros.

Anyone willing to share a recipe? I've tried a few online with very little success. I usually end up with hamburger in a bowl, or bean soup. Always lacking flavor.

My favorite store mix is Carrol Shelby's, but that isn't anything special either. I only like it because there is a little masa in the package to thicken everything up.

Pretty much just sweep up the kitchen and throw it in my chili. Actually Shelbys is a pretty good base to start off with. Then start building in more of the flavors you like peppers,garlic,onion,chilis,chocolate,etc.....

I have never been a fan of the Chili you all speak of. My wife makes it, I don't ask about it. Don't really care for it. Not a big tomato fan. If I was going to eat it I would want it spicy.

Grew up on this stuff Skyline Chili - The Official Website of Skyline Chili

Anything else really is second best to me.

Do you all find that your chili tastes better the day after you make it rather than eating it right then when it's made? Not sure why but lots of food seems to be better after it has cooled down and is re-heated. Dunno why.

Guest bkelm18

I'm not much of a Chili person either. But if the mood strikes me, there's a mix called "Darn Good Chili", I think it's made by a company called Bear Creek or something. Not too bad with some cheddar cheese and a nice hunk of cornbread.

Guest HexHead

Do you all find that your chili tastes better the day after you make it rather than eating it right then when it's made? Not sure why but lots of food seems to be better after it has cooled down and is re-heated. Dunno why.

It gives the flavors a chance to better meld with each other. Basically, anything you cook that simmers for a while with multiple ingredients like stews, etc are going to be better after they've been refrigerated and reheated.

Guest mustangdave
I have never been a fan of the Chili you all speak of. My wife makes it, I don't ask about it. Don't really care for it. Not a big tomato fan. If I was going to eat it I would want it spicy.

Grew up on this stuff Skyline Chili - The Official Website of Skyline Chili

Anything else really is second best to me.

You like that "cincinnati chili"...the stuff with NUTMEG in it? That's an aquired taste...and you're right chili does taste a bit better a day later...the heat is allowed to sink in DEEP and when you reheat it...it just POPS

Guest HexHead
Anyone willing to share a recipe? I've tried a few online with very little success. I usually end up with hamburger in a bowl, or bean soup. Always lacking flavor.

My favorite store mix is Carrol Shelby's, but that isn't anything special either. I only like it because there is a little masa in the package to thicken everything up.

Shelby's is good. Lately I've been using a can of Hunt's Chili Fixin's as my base, and go from there. Always saute the onions, celery, peppers and garlic before browning (adding) the meat. I also put some of the chili powder on the meat when I add it to the pot to brown it. Gets the flavor infused into the meat.

I will tell you one secret to great chili: start with a really good New York Strip steak, slice it thin, saute it in olive oil with onions, peppers, and garlic. Using this as your meat base, add a large can of crushed tomatoes and two cans of Rotel tomatoes, cans of kidney and black beans (as much as you like) and a can of corn. Bring all to a boil and lower to simmer. When you are ready to eat, add chili powder, cumin, salt and any other HOT peppers to taste. Finally, throw in about a 1/2 tablespoon of sugar to counteract the bitterness of the tomatoes.

Eat up!

You like that "cincinnati chili"...the stuff with NUTMEG in it? That's an aquired taste...

I think I acquired the taste for it well over 45 years ago. that might be why I don't care for the tomatoey chili the uncivilized world prefers, :D

i dunno whats in it. Never really looked into it. Have heard nutmeg before as well as cinnamon and chocolate.

Guest mustangdave
I think I acquired the taste for it well over 45 years ago. that might be why I don't care for the tomatoey chili the uncivilized world prefers, :D

i dunno whats in it. Never really looked into it. Have heard nutmeg before as well as cinnamon and chocolate.

So you have to go on a ROAD trip to get a FIX or do you make your own? I know that Steak & Shake...does a pretty good job with their version...Chili 5 Way

Guest jackdm3

I was in a hurry once making chili with the cinnamon. All the other parts were right but I doubled the measurement of cinnamon and wasted a whole, big pot. We ated it but hated it.:D

So you have to go on a ROAD trip to get a FIX or do you make your own? I know that Steak & Shake...does a pretty good job with their version...Chili 5 Way

Skyline is available at WalMart here. I think the Cincinnati Chili Mix packets are there too. Usually when we go back to Cincy we stock up on the mix packets anyway.

I don't think the Steak And Shake 5 Way is the same thing. But I am not sure. At least I don't know if they use Cincinnati style chili. Actually the Cincy chili is made by Greeks. So originally I think it must be Greek style chili.