gotta be said

Guest marine77

• Administrator

Thanks for the help guys. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a relief to see a few Benefactor memberships roll in as I'm looking at upgraded hosting packages. Most of them are $200-ish per month. :death:

TGO David, is there any possibility of some type of automated notification through a PM or email to let us know when our benefactor status is about to expire? It could help maintain your revenue stream.

I'll look into some sort of notification. I don't want the forum spamming you guys with email so it may just be a notice that you see on the forum home page or something.

Does anyone remember 1200 baud modems?

I'm as guilty as anyone, but it is amazing how we get used to things and always expect our internet connections and websites to work perfectly every time.

I remember my first modem was 300 baud Vic Modem. We thought we were kicking ass back in the day with we had CompuComm 17.9kbps modems that would only run that fast when talking to other CompuComm modems. :eek:

When my status upgraded from member to benefactor, I expected to see an automated letter saying "You are good to go, now. You're no longer riding our coattails." The notification would be helpful, and Motasyco is right about keeping the revenue going full-bore, with no lapses. I think that aspect would mean the most to David.

We dispensed with the automated letters and started sending out singing stripper-grams. You didn't get yours?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I don't mind making an occasional donation, but I visit other sites with the ads on them, and I can't say I really mind them either. I'm sure they help considerably with revenue.

Generic ads suck. Further, GoogleAds won't touch us because we deal with firearms related topics. Google is hugely anti-firearm.

I used to play games in BASIC on a teletype terminal (no screen) connected to a mainframe through a 300 baud acoustic coupler. If you wanted to save the game and resume it at a later time, you could punch a paper tape if the program allowed. This was in an engineering office at Ford in the early 70's. There wasn't anything better available at the time. I believe I discovered Arpanet, the grandfather of the WWW, on that terminal.

I renewed my Benefactor status just the other day.

PS - I said 'discovered', not 'created'. My name's not Al Gore.

Edited by enfield
Guest jackdm3

"We dispensed with the automated letters and started sending out singing stripper-grams. You didn't get yours?"

Yes, but I returned mine. I prefer brunettes. Stripper-grams are rarely brunettes.

Thanks for the help guys. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a relief to see a few Benefactor memberships roll in as I'm looking at upgraded hosting packages. Most of them are $200-ish per month. :P

Maybe it's time for a fundraiser. Maybe do something like Glocktalk. I'd be willing to chip in a few bucks and I would assume we could get some deals from our loyal vendors and buy some prizes for a raffle.

This is a good site in spite of people like me and I want it to stick around.

Whadda ya think guys?

• Administrator
Alrighty then. Nevermind. :P

It's not that I don't appreciate the idea, it's just that they provide a balloon of funds that are finite rather than a steady flow of funds that you can more easily budget the operating expenses against accordingly. Kind of like the difference between your paycheck and a bonus. The bonus may be big and may be nice to have, but it's never a guaranteed thing and it's hard to depend on them to pay the bills from week to week.

I feel more comfortable about TGO's continued existence (not that it is in jeopardy mind you) when I can see that there is equilibrium and that sudden emergency infusions of cash aren't necessary.

I gotta say that I think my Benefactor status has paid for itself several times already, and I think it's money well-spent for all the info and entertainment I get from the site.

As long as you can afford it, don't change a thing!

Guest marine77
I made a lot of changes to the server config yesterday that made significant improvements. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do for the moment. Going to another hosting company is going to involve nearly double the monthly hosting fees that I pay now... but it's something we're going to have to end up doing.

Yeah i understand a lot of people being on here does make the system

slower. But my hat is off to you. :hat: Being able to hold down a job, and

keep up your family, plus this, your a better man than i am gunga din. Or

maybe just :P LOL:D

I have never bought or sold anything, not why I am here at all, but I have been a member as long as their have been a membership except for a few periods of financial issue, which I hope are behind me..But having a resource like this is priceless.

Thanks Dave.