gotta be said

Guest marine77

Guest marine77

No wonder i don't come to this board more often. I try to access the different stuff on here and then i don't know what happens, it gets too slow, almost l i k e m o l l

a s e s i n w i

n t e r

(like mollases in winter) and then it throws me off here. Maybe it's my system, i don't know, but i have no problems elsewhere.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an aside, the admin does not have 24 hrs a day to correct any issues like he had previously. He worked on some problems yesterday and is also looking at alternative hosting. He does have a full time job plus a family and hobbies that take up his time as well.

• Administrator

I made a lot of changes to the server config yesterday that made significant improvements. It's not perfect, but it's the best I can do for the moment. Going to another hosting company is going to involve nearly double the monthly hosting fees that I pay now... but it's something we're going to have to end up doing.

• Administrator

Thanks. Essentially the problem is that TGO is becoming a victim of its own success. The more we grow and the more people who pile on here at the same time, the more it pushes our current server setup to the limit. The changes that have to be made next were inevitable.

Guest mosinon
Thanks. Essentially the problem is that TGO is becoming a victim of its own success. The more we grow and the more people who pile on here at the same time, the more it pushes our current server setup to the limit. The changes that have to be made next were inevitable.

Ah, the paradox of the net. Being popular doesn't mean more money, usually just more cost. I had a very slightly popular sight way back in the old days that I had to get rid of because I couldn't afford it.

• Administrator

As long as the site is self-sufficient the growth is not a problem. It doesn't become a big deal until we reach the point where the percentage of those financially supporting the site is critically smaller than the percentage who don't (we're heading that direction) or until some clown throws a fit that he can't post guns for sale without being a Benefactor.

I'm sure people wonder why I don't have patience with people who try to cheat the system. There's the answer.

Guest mosinon
As long as the site is self-sufficient the growth is not a problem. It doesn't become a big deal until we reach the point where the percentage of those financially supporting the site is critically smaller than the percentage who don't (we're heading that direction) or until some clown throws a fit that he can't post guns for sale without being a Benefactor.

I'm sure people wonder why I don't have patience with people who try to cheat the system. There's the answer.

First off, I'm angry that I can't post guns for without being a benefactor. I kid.

I'd opine that for a site like this to be self sufficient without Google ads and such is a pretty decent accomplishment.

On the other hand, you could always save money by making it really suck or something.

Yeah, I'll be getting my benefactor status thing on right now

Guest mosinon

Okay, i signed up for benefactor status 7 seconds ago. What is with the delay? Do i need to break out my Phoenix Arms patch? Cause I've got one. When you put that patch on a jacket or something it is a short way of saying "I'm a ninja that is so freaky powerful I let you see me"

Not in actual hurry to hit bene status

No problem, that's what the government is for!:)

No wonder i don't come to this board more often. I try to access the different stuff on here and then i don't know what happens, it gets too slow, almost l i k e m o l l

a s e s i n w i

n t e r

(like mollases in winter) and then it throws me off here. Maybe it's my system, i don't know, but i have no problems elsewhere.

Time to upgrade that dial-up. :) j/k

Seriously, I don't have very many problems accessing this site at all. Every now and then, the server might hiccup, but it's not for very long. I don't find it to be slow. I think it is a great place and a wealth of information.

I plan to upgrade to Benefactor soon. I don't really sell any of my guns, but I would like to support the site.

I haven't ever sold anything on TGO, just bought a couple.:)

Actually, that seems to be the way most of my firearm transactions go.

I became a benefactor because I realize nothing is totally free and <$3 a month seems like cheap entertainment to me.

:DRunning a little slow now and again is no problem for me, its when the site is COMPLETELY DOWN when I start sweatin' it! Withdrawals start, I start thinking maybe Dave pulled the PLUG!:confused:

Thanks for sharing the place with us DAVID. I for one will deal with any quirks that may pop up now and again, and you won't hear me B**CHIN'.

Reading this thread made me realize that my benefactor status had expired! I corrected that right away. I just didn't notice that the little benefactor thingy had disappeared below the avatar. I don't even know when it actually expired.

TGO David, is there any possibility of some type of automated notification through a PM or email to let us know when our benefactor status is about to expire? It could help maintain your revenue stream.

Does anyone remember 1200 baud modems?

I'm as guilty as anyone, but it is amazing how we get used to things and always expect our internet connections and websites to work perfectly every time.

1200 baud... puh!.. I remember the days of 300 baud. When I got my first 1200 I thought I was grease lightning...

I find it very easy to support sites in which I directly benefit (knowledge, reading material, and possibility for my buying or selling items quickly and efficiently). EBAY does this, and people know that it's understood that they'll pay a fee. Those that complain about the typical reasoning behind, "It's not fair, I'm a MEMBER here, and I post... I DESERVE to be able to sell and do what I want!" don't have a dog in the fight. If you're NOT helping a community, then you can't possibly believe that complaining about receiving something for FREE is an argument worth justifying.

Nothing's free in this world, but some things are worth kicking a few dollars for, in order to support a good cause that benefits worlds beyond non-supporting. I have learned a ton from this site, enjoy the conversations, and of course have directly benefitted from purchasing an item for sale (at a great cost-savings to myself), so of course I am going to offer support to keep a good thing going.

I'm on many different forums, but I only support the ones that I feel are truly directly beneficial to myself and serve the community in which I participate. This is one of those sites that I hold in high-regard.

Edited by Moody
I have NO clue how to type, until I get my morning coffee...
Guest jackdm3
Reading this thread made me realize that my benefactor status had expired! I corrected that right away. I just didn't notice that the little benefactor thingy had disappeared below the avatar. I don't even know when it actually expired.

TGO David, is there any possibility of some type of automated notification through a PM or email to let us know when our benefactor status is about to expire? It could help maintain your revenue stream.

When my status upgraded from member to benefactor, I expected to see an automated letter saying "You are good to go, now. You're no longer riding our coattails." The notification would be helpful, and Motasyco is right about keeping the revenue going full-bore, with no lapses. I think that aspect would mean the most to David.