Sigma .40

Guest Ssmo

Dont visit much as i live in MO and only carry in TN about 1-2 weeks a year but...

I was wanting to know if anyone has a S&W Sigma .40. I was wondering what you thought of it and if you have had any problems with it.

Contacted one gun shop and they swore up and down the sigma is a POS. All my searches on the net have pretty much been positive for the gun.

i would like some opinions.

Thanks!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few and very Police departments rely on them. I have read many bad reviews on them. One common complaint often comes up but I can't remember what it is. I know this because I researched buying one a few years ago as I am very anti-glock. I went to the store to buy a SW M&P and ended up leaveing with a XD. Great decesion looking back.

In my opinion, the SIGMA is just like a GLOCK, except the grip is comfortable, the trigger is heavier, and the price is $200 cheaper. I have owned four Sigmas, still have two, and like them very much. It's the poor man's GLOCK. They sell for $299 brand new, and you can often get a $50 rebate or two more free mags from S&W.

Guest 10mm4me

For the money they are not bad pistols.They are definitely on the low end of the spectrum.They have atrocious trigger pulls.12+lbs.I have also heard that the firing pins break on them quite often.They are infact exact copies of Glocks.S&W has good customer service and will fix it if it breaks.My Bro-in-law has one and has had no probs out of it.I would definitely get the 9mm version of this gun.These guns usually work great or they break in a few months.Good Luck!!

Guest 70below

They're literally a good bang for the buck. I wouldn't hesitate to trust one, but there are more enjoyable to shoot and accurate pistols in my opinion. As mentioned, the trigger is the primary detractor.

Man, I’m a Smith & Wesson fan all the way; but the Sigma is a POS.

I laughed my azz off the first time I pulled the trigger on a sigma. :P

Anytime you see a rant about S&W quality; you can bet it’s a Sigma. S&W designed it for the low end market; it is a sub $300 gun new.

Save a couple of hundred more and get an M&P or just buy something else.

Guest Oaklands

I don't own a Sigma but have held one. I really like the feel of it and will probably get one one of these days. The trigger pull has been the only issue I have heard complaints about, but you can buy it then send it in and have the trigger redone at no charge. I have read posts on the S&W and other forums and most people were really satisfied with the Sigma once the trigger job is complete.

Some people who have shot the glock and the Sigma say they like the feel of the Sigma much better. I'd say go for it. You are going to buy a named brand gun, get a free trigger job and only pay $249 after the rebate plus your transfer and background fee. Heck of a deal.

I have had probably about 10 run through my hands over the past several years.. sold most of them here.. still own two! a 9mm and a .40

For the price... You ain't gettin nuttin any better then a sigma. PERIOD!

As for reliablilty... I would put an out of the box sigma against any other "out of the box" pistol. Period. Triger schmiger.. boo hoo.. everyone has their opinions, likes, dislikes, etc.. but the sigma is a low price reliable pistol.

Edited by lowbud

I laughed my azz off the first time I pulled the trigger on a sigma. :D

Anytime you see a rant about S&W quality; you can bet it’s a Sigma. S&W designed it for the low end market; it is a sub $300 gun new.

This... all of it. I cannot agree more (unfortunately). :lol:

My cousin owns a Sigma .40 and 9mm(his wifes)...ive shot both...pretty accurate.reliable(so far),and fairly comfortable grip.....the trigger is EXTREMELY heavy but it breaks fairly clean and isnt too long....but IMHO i would save up a little longer and get an M&P if your dead set on S&W

I got a Sigma 40 on a trade several years ago. I'd agree with 90%+ on these comments--long heavy trigger, somewhat bulky,accurate, good shooter, really good gun for the price, and pretty much a copy of the Glock 22. Put them side by side and you'll be surprised at how much so.

As for the trigger job from S&W, that sounds like a good idea. I didn't know they'd do it free of charge. John Wall at Eastside [shades of He Who Must Not Be Named] did some work on mine and improved the trigger considerably. I can't quote the price for it was an "inside" deal. But I understand that $25-35 range for the work.

Anyway, I'd not call the Sigma a pos, not the greatest pistol either; but a good servieable weapon at a reasonable price.

I got one in 9mm. I think they are pretty good guns, I've done a little work on the trigger smoothed it out some. Glock sued S&W over them when they came out. You cant beat the price. There is usually a offer of a rebate or a couple of free magazines, when you buy one new.

Dont visit much as i live in MO and only carry in TN about 1-2 weeks a year but...

I was wanting to know if anyone has a S&W Sigma .40. I was wondering what you thought of it and if you have had any problems with it.

Contacted one gun shop and they swore up and down the sigma is a POS. All my searches on the net have pretty much been positive for the gun.

i would like some opinions.

Thanks!

I had a Sigma 40ve myself for a while it was my first handgun and I used it to qualify for my handgun carry permit. Miraculously, I shot well enough with it to qualify (Imagine that). After about 1000 rounds through the pipe it started to have feeding issues where the bullet would get hungup between the magazine and the feed ramp. I had predator custom shop in knoxville polish the feed ramp and polish the sear, trigger bar, etc. They got the trigger pull down from a GOD awful 12 pounds to a smooth crisp 7.5 pounds. After that I still had failures to feed so I replaced the magazine springs with some +5% more power springs from Wolff to give it a little more umph going from the magazine up the feed ramp. This cured the feeding issue in its entirety. I recently sold the sigma about a month ago and purchased me a Springfield XD 40. The Springfield is a much better and much more accurate hand gun. Personally, I would not trust my life with the sigma after about 1000 rounds. People say yeah if its dirty it will jamb. That is true however, I cleaned it religiously before shooting, then immediately after shooting and still had the feed issues after 1000 rounds until the feed ramp was polished and the magazine springs replaced. By the way, Predator only charged 45 bucks to do that work which I thought was reasonable. I contacted smith and they would have only been able to get the trigger down from 12 to 10 pounds. I have an electronic lyman trigger gauge as did predator and both read 7.5 pounds consistantly after they were done with it. Jim Ruiz is the man when it comes to working on Pistols in the Knoxville area. He touched this Sigma and made it great when everyone else avoided it like the plague.

Edited by Alpha7

I laughed my azz off the first time I pulled the trigger on a sigma. :)

i went ahead got one. I like it a lot. Hate to say it but I like the the heavy trigger!

I like it better then my glock 21 and 30. I still like by S&W 629 .44 better though.

I have put 300 rounds through the sigma. With not ftf or any other mishaps.

I have heard from some that the sigma is a POS and others that is the greatest thing. At least it is cheap comes with a lifetime warranty and 2 free mags or 50 bucks.

If it turns into a turd at least I have other guns and not depending on the sigma.

I also own a rossi and ruger .357

if it turns into a turd send it to S&W for repair. I keep one in my night stand so I bet my life on a SW40VE every single night! Well over a 1000 rounds in this one and has never FTF FTE or failed to go boom nor hit where I didn't AIM.

i dunno who could ask for more..

Edited by lowbud

I want to pick one up as a toy but I can't really say that I like the triggers on them. Something about the little two piece trigger just felt cheap to me like I was going to break the plastic. But I still think for 250 bucks new, its a decent little gun.

The trigger is heavy. The fix is easy. But I had one for several months and never could get it to shoot reliably, so I decided I wouldn't be able to trust my life with it. I had failures to eject and double feeds on it every time I shot it. Traded for an XD and haven't looked back.