XD or XDm

Guest billwilly73

Guest billwilly73

I'm going to buy a 9mm soon and I think I want an XDm. This might be a :screwy: question but........What are the differences in the XD vs. XDm?

Thanks as always

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

The XDm is a little more ergonomic,a little more aggressive grip, match grade barrel, better trigger.Pretty much a cosmetic upgrade of the XD.If money is no issue, and you r settled on the XD series, get the XDm.They are about $100-$150 more though.Very few shooters,myself included, are skilled enough for the "match grade" barrel to matter though.XD's are polymer, fighting guns.They are made to put rds on target @ 25yds in the hands of a basically trained shooter so keep that in mind before you shell out an extra $150 for an XDm. I have shot both and while the XDm feels better, I did not notice one or the other being intrinsically more accurate than the other.Also, your use of the weapon matters too.They recently released a compact XDm, so if this is your new carry gun keep that in mind.There is a bigger selection with the standard XD.I personally carry full size guns so that is not a concern with me.

Edited by 10mm4me
Guest billwilly73
Whatcha gonna use it for? Concealed carry? Range queen? Nightstand gun?

I'm gonna shoot the :tough: out of it.:P

Mainly range use but may carry some when I get my permit.

This is personal opinion only. Many will disagree with me but you asked for differences between the xd/xdm series. So.. I like the xd series better. Even withe the multiple backstraps, the xdm line is just too large for my hands. It doesn't sit quite comfortably in grip/shooting position. The ergonomic and cosmetic upgrades are good but are they enough to warrant the $150+ price differences? And as 10mm4me added, very few of us can really tell the difference in the match grade and regular barrel in a gun that shoots as well as the xd platform does?

Over the last few years, I've acquired two full size xd and one xdsc and find the sc to be my personal favorite. Its a 9mm and shoots amazingly well for a short barrel gun.

Once again, these are my opinions about them and are probably going to have many in total disagreement with them.

Just get what feels best and shoots best for you. You won't go wrong with any xd.:tough:

I'm gonna shoot the :tough: out of it.:P

Mainly range use but may carry some when I get my permit.

XD 9 Service holds 16+1, the XDM9 19+1

XDM somewhat bigger...

The mags are NOT interchangeable, though, which may well keep me from every buying an M, since I have XD SC and Service 9s. I may eventually get the tactical to round out the group, rather than the M.

- OS

The m also has a shorter trigger reset. I love my XDm 9, for what it's worth. Shoot them both, you can't go wrong with either.

I've shot the XDM .40, and it's sweet, so I'm sure the 9 is too. The .40 didn't feel like any of the other .40s I've shot, felt almost gentle with range ammo.

Of course for carry, the XD subbie mostly will rule unless they do something similar with the XDM.

- OS

I finally handled an XDM this weekend and I love the look of the gun and I'm sure that it shoots fantastically, but It just didnt fit the same way that a standard XD does. THe slightly larger grip just ruined it for me. I might eventually get one just to have but I don't think that I will ever get one for carry or competition shooting.

I love my XD-m9 but I agree that you can't go wrong with any XD. However, I wouldn't think the shorter barrel on the new 3.8 version would affect your ability to conceal it. It's usually the grip size that affects that. And I agree that it does have a big grip. I'm just a little larger around the waist than most so I guess it doesn't show as much!

I've shot the XDM .40, and it's sweet, so I'm sure the 9 is too. The .40 didn't feel like any of the other .40s I've shot, felt almost gentle with range ammo......

- OS

+1. I had being eyeing XD's for a while but just couldn't make the leap, then the M version came out. I stumbled upon a deal on one and bought it almost on a whim and quite frankly had a little "buyer’s remorse" after as I knew it was not going to be a carry gun due to its size and I really liked the stainless model better. Then I shot it. It is by far the best shooting .40 I have or have shot. Can't really put my finger on it but believe it is a balance thing if that makes since. Anyway, I highly recommend you shoot one, you just might like it.

Guest Soldier1031

I wish i could help you out more but i just got my XDM .40, and i am taking my carry class with it and fully intend on carrying it, so far i love it and think the xd or the xdm is the way to go

+1. I had being eyeing XD's for a while but just couldn't make the leap, then the M version came out. I stumbled upon a deal on one and bought it almost on a whim and quite frankly had a little "buyer’s remorse" after as I knew it was not going to be a carry gun due to its size and I really liked the stainless model better. Then I shot it. It is by far the best shooting .40 I have or have shot. Can't really put my finger on it but believe it is a balance thing if that makes since. Anyway, I highly recommend you shoot one, you just might like it.

Probably the stock 4.5 pound trigger pull and the match grade barrel.

The biggest differences between the XD and XDm are the look and ergonomics (obviously), then the magazine capacity (aimed at competition shooters), and then the modified trigger bar setup, which both reduces overtravel and removes the necessity to pull the trigger when disassembling the slide from the frame.

The match barrel in the XDm is noticably more accurate than the XD, but, I did not enjoy shooting the XDm as much as I had several standard XDs that I had previously owned. For one, I did not like the grip as much, and the recoil characteristics did not feel as balanced. So, unless I was going to be doing competition shooting regularly with the gun, and was prepared to tune the trigger and recoil springs to suit my taste, I wouldn't recommend the XDm over the XD.

Guest GenNBForrest

For concealing: XDSC in 9mm

For defense pistol(IDPA SP): Springerized XD9 5" or XDm9

For range warrior: XD45 4" compact. 10 rounds or 13 rounds with grip extension

The simple solution.......buy them all!