ARvsAK

chunkee

Hello,

Started my collections with C&R items and some handguns. I have been researching about ARs and AKs. The ARs are more money for a quality piece (was looking at a Daniel Design) than an AK (Saiga).

Is one better than the other? What is cheaper to shoot? More accurate? I like the tactical functions of the ARs but have seen some AKs have that as well...

Just trying to get a feel for an AR15 for 1200 bux vs an AK for 700 bux.

Thank you!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jimdigriz
Hello,

Started my collections with C&R items and some handguns. I have been researching about ARs and AKs. The ARs are more money for a quality piece (was looking at a Daniel Design) than an AK (Saiga).

Is one better than the other? What is cheaper to shoot? More accurate? I like the tactical functions of the ARs but have seen some AKs have that as well...

Thank you!

The AK will be cheaper if you pick one up in 5.45x39 (AK 74). The ammo is very inexpensive right now. (It is possible to get an AR upper for 5.45, but I have no idea on the prices of those).

My 5.45 Saiga is very accurate, but probably a good AR would be even more so. In my view, that extra bit of accuracy matters very little for nearly all practical applications, and the AK is going to be more reliable.

What purposes do you have in mind for the gun? What kind of optics (if any) do you plan to mount? Do you mind shooting corrosive ammo (requiring cleaning right after use)? Any of these factors may answer your question decisively.

Jim

I went with the AR first mainly because I couldn't find a good quality AK. As mentioned though, AR prices have gone down quite a bit since last year at this time, so you might find a good quality AR for what you would pay for a quality AK.

I am however planning to purchase an AK at some point in the near future, and based on this statement.......

Started my collections with C&R items and some handguns. I have been researching about ARs and AKs.

You know you're gonna end up getting both before it's all over with anyway. :tough:

I've had several of each and I keep coming back to the AK. I'm also no long range MOA type shooter. The AK is significantly less expensive in every aspect, more reliable, and a heck of a lot of fun. It's like the girl next door. The AR is more like a high maintenance woman that constantly demands top of the line accessories and gets a lot of "headaches".:tough:

For me, the AK is more fun with less trouble. I shoot as many rounds as I want, then clean it in all of 5 minutes. As to where the AR, well, more like half, to an hour of cleaning.

I have a WASR, which lots of folks don't like, but mine shoots real good and they only run $400-500. If you are picky, you can find good ones.

Saiga AK variants are sweet rifles for the price and are available in all of the popular rounds. They are very easy to convert as well.

Both are fun though.

thanks for the comments so far... Of the ARs I have looked at, the Daniel Defense M4 Carbine looks to be a pretty good rifle with several great reviews. Price is 1175 shipped. There are so many variant my head is spinning...i see big names like Colt, and Bushmaster, Armalite...big money for those also...but what about Rock River Arms? SigSauer?

Is this the gun you are speaking of for the AK Variant?

CZ VZ-58 Sporter SA vz 58 7.62 x 39 D-Technik VZ58 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

How do these stack up against the Polish Milled 1960s from Classic Arms for 599?

Thanks again so much. I am also needing some help soon to teach me how to sight the gun properly..at Norris maybe. Thanks again.

JC

thanks for the comments so far... Of the ARs I have looked at, the Daniel Defense M4 Carbine looks to be a pretty good rifle with several great reviews. Price is 1175 shipped. There are so many variant my head is spinning...i see big names like Colt, and Bushmaster, Armalite...big money for those also...but what about Rock River Arms? SigSauer?

How do these stack up against the Polish Milled 1960s from Classic Arms for 599?

Thanks again so much. I am also needing some help soon to teach me how to sight the gun properly..at Norris maybe. Thanks again.

JC

Never heard anything specifically bad or good about Classic. I am very hesitant about a $599 milled reciever AK. They are usually a whole lot more than that. Personally I like a stamped receiver better on an AK. The milled is extra heavy, prone to breakage, and parts fitment is a little more difficult.

The VZ is excellent but keep in mind parts are just now coming in and may be limited in the rare event you need spares and AK mags will not work. Other than that they are top line, technically not AK variants. It's an entirely different system internally.

If you have an AR you'll want to get an AK.

If you have an AK you'll want to get an AR.

Is the Daniel Defense M4 Carbine a good one? Or is that too much money to spend on one? It comes with a nice rail system, butt stock, flared magazine receiver...and a hand grip.

jC

Edited by chunkee
Guest benchpresspower
Is the Daniel Defense M4 Carbine a good one? Or is that too much money to spend on one? It comes with a nice rail system, butt stock, flared magazine receiver...and a hand grip.

jC

I don't know, pretty sure someone will come along and clear it up though. I have a Bushmaster M4. It is the flat top version, I can't remember but I think I paid around 8 or 900 for it from Guns and Leather. I don't see a whole lot of difference between carbines but then again that could fall into the category like a 1911, some are better than others.

Guest GunTroll

I've had two AR's. Still got my AK. I like products from CMMG as far as AR crap goes. My AK is a Yugo M70AB2. I like it. Shoots good and is just mean looking. Got mine for around $500 two years ago and thought I paid too much then. The Romanian ones were $375 then. This was in GA.

I will say I am working very slowly on building another AR for myself. They are fun!

But I would go AK first and just part an AR together over time to save the initial investment price bite to your wallet (If you care).

JC

yup, that's it.

Guest HCRoadie

I have three Ar's. They have been reliable and HIGHLY accurate. Not to mention fun to shoot. I do admit, it takes a bit of love to keep them tip top. However, it is in my nature to be that way with ALL of my guns. Even my Mosin Nagants are pristine. I am currently looking to get a few AK's. I believe in being a well rounded gun owner.

A note to several of the other posters. Neither of these guns shoot "good", they shoot "well"! That is a grammatical error that makes me go mad:screwy:

There is an AR-15 in classifieds for the 700 mark. Can't beat that with a stick.

Hello,

Thank you!

Oh yeah.... AKs don't care about your grammar.

Yes, t takes less time to clean an AK. However, that does not mean it is not pristine after cleaning.

The AK doesn't crap in it's own mouth, and does not have all the little bit's that have to be taken down, cleaned and inspected.

Edited by sigmtnman
Guest Tenngunner

Hello, Sir-

Just remember that (though a great rifle) the VZ-58 uses proprietary mags, which are not AK-compatible.

Take a good, hard look at these German-made AKs:

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=24&Itemid=2

They are the best out there for the money, in my opinion. (no connection to company-just research).

Edited by Tenngunner
Punctuation

I'm an AK type. I never comb my hair and sometimes forget to wear deoderant. :cool:

I have been keeping an eye out for a .308 AR, I'd like to have one rifle for deer and zombies. ;)

The VZ's are great, even the "cheap" Century builds are nicer than your average AK.

I personally have never seen the purpose in a semi-auto, $1000, milled AK. My nicest is a SGL21 Arsenal, and even it's to nice to treat like an AK. My poor Romy, she gets treated bad and keeps ticking right along.

I'm an AK type. I never comb my hair and sometimes forget to wear deoderant. :hiding:

The VZ's are great, even the "cheap" Century builds are nicer than your average AK.

I personally have never seen the purpose in a semi-auto, $1000, milled AK. My nicest is a SGL21 Arsenal, and even it's to nice to treat like an AK. My poor Romy, she gets treated bad and keeps ticking right along.

+1 on the deodorant :popcorn:

Also major +1 on the Romainian AKs. Just because they don't have Tacticool black stocks means nothing. I have 2 Romys and they fire just as accurate as the Saiga I once had. No FTF's ever! Save the money and go with one of those especially if its your 1st AK.