Do you prefer jacketed bullets over cast lead

Guest Ditchdigger

Guest Ditchdigger

Haven't reloaded in a long time, .38 .357 and .45 is all I have ever loaded, probably 18 - 20 years ago. Bought an xd40sc last year and wanting to start reloading for it. Been looking at Midway today for supplies. Several comments about leading. Didn't think much about it back then. Thought I check and see what everyone thought before I bought anything. Will be useing them for practice. Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like jacketed, but I shoot lead for the most part for economy. Like Mike, I use premium jacketed bullets for high velocity stuff. Also consider plated bullets. They are a great low-cost alternative to jacketed bullets. I used to shoot tons of Berry's plated bullets out of my.40.

Most indoor ranges won't let you shoot lead, and you shouldn't even if they do.

If you load lead, use a cleaner powder (Unique and Solo1000 are popular). Stay away from a powder like Titegroup, as it burns so hot you'll lose the ability to see the target.

And keep the velocity down. Warp-speeds are what cause leading. Soft 125gr and 147gr loads (900-1,050ish fps) through my M&P result in zero lead in my barrel. Push it up a few hundred FPS and you'll start to see serious leading.

I prefer jacketed but I load and shoot both. I can get lead bullets for about half the price of jacketed. Plated bullets are another option. A little cheaper than jacketed, more expensive than lead, and safe for indoor ranges.

All I reload and shoot is lead. It is because the lead is cheaper $28 for 500 9mm. Thats quiet a bit of savings.

Not much when compared to the case price from Precision Delta and Montana Gold Bullet ... really.

It constantly amazes me how much people are willing to pay for FMJs, just because they don't know where to shop. Frontier, Berrys, and Rainer all charge more for PLATED bullets than either PD or MG want for jacketed.

I use lead bullets in everything I can rifle or pistol.Several of the rifles I shoot 404,425 or even 458 jacketed bullets cost a great deal so I use cast some with gas checks or paper patched .I even cast for 22 hornets and 218 bee in alot of cases the only bullet you can find for an old gun is cast cast and swaged bullets were used for several hundred years before jacketed came along .I have a few loads with paper patched bullets that are outstanding in my 35 whealan Icasted about 3500 45 230rn last night cost other than time and propane 0.00 I have found that casting is alot of fun and I like shooting what I cast .

Confirmed lead head here...all lead all the time. If you size them right and use a good lube you won't have any problems. Most leading is due to sizing and alloy hardness issues.

Yup...unless otherwise restricted by indoor ranges. They are just as clean.

From my understanding the azide compound in the primer is more of a hazard than the bullets anyway.

Guest Ditchdigger

Thanks guys for all the input. Was hopeing to get to Laverne this week to pickup a set of tracks for a dozer, was going to check out Champions Choice, but tomorrows not looking to good. Looks like it would be a good weekend to do some reloading.