Liberty Centurion Safe sold at Lowes

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you pay no interest and have 10 % off, that's about the same at Sam's. Sounds good to me, and the delivery fee isn't

bad. That safe was a pain in the !@# for my son and I to get inside the house.

Well, if you pay no interest and have 10 % off, that's about the same at Sam's. Sounds good to me, and the delivery fee isn't

bad. That safe was a pain in the !@# for my son and I to get inside the house.

Yeah, I can imagine how hard it would be for a couple men to handle.....it weighs almost 500 lbs.! Do you have the exact same one? If so, do you like it? How's the locking mechanism and the overall quality?

How big is that safe? I've seen some safes at the local Lowes but none that looked like 500 lbs.

I have a bigger Liberty safe and I'm pleased with it. I'll admit that it's the only safe I've ever owned so I can't compare brands.

-----------------

Never mind - I followed the link. No, I haven't seen that model at the local store.

Edited by enfield

I have one of these and like it. I loaded it into my truck bed and into my house (via dolly - it's only 280 lbs) on my own and it works great for what I need. The combination lock is really picky about you getting it precisely in right spot, but no real complaints.

Hard to argue with it for the price.

I have one of these and like it. I loaded it into my truck bed and into my house (via dolly - it's only 280 lbs) on my own and it works great for what I need. The combination lock is really picky about you getting it precisely in right spot, but no real complaints.

I agree a just bought one they are only about 300 lb. Borrow a two wheel dolly and save yourself 60.00 bucks. Not heavy enough that one or two people cant move it.

Yeah, I can imagine how hard it would be for a couple men to handle.....it weighs almost 500 lbs.! Do you have the exact same one? If so, do you like it? How's the locking mechanism and the overall quality?

It looks like the same one. It was attached to a pallet base

at Sam's. We got it home and took a maul to get the pallet

off. Two men can handle one ok, but a third wouldn't hurt.

I like the safe

Thanks! I saw that when I clicked PackinMama's link. I think I might just have to get one. I am at the point that I really need one.

I'm likin' the bigger one (20 cu. ft.) over the smaller (12 cu. ft.) mainly for two reason. #1, it's fireproof. #2, it's bigger.

I don't have a huge gun collection, but there are other things I'd like to keep in there along with my guns. Like picture albums, keepsakes, important papers and such. (I had a fire in '95 and lost every single picture I'd ever taken, plus the ones my parents had given me, along with my baby book, original birth certificate with my footprints, and many more irreplacable sentimental stuff.)

I'm also afraid that the smaller one could be carried out by two strong men in a break-in. I don't think two guys could manage almost 500 lbs. with the bigger safe very well. Plus, if I ever have enough money to buy some more guns.....I'll have room! :D

What do you guys think about storing ammo with your guns in the same safe? Is that a good idea or no?

I'm also afraid that the smaller one could be carried out by two strong men in a break-in. I don't think two guys could manage almost 500 lbs. with the bigger safe very well.

For the record, I asked my long time insurance agent (and family friend) if he or his father (who was in the biz before him) had ever heard of a safe being stolen during a burglary or robbery and he said "nope".

Not invalidating your concern or suggesting it's never happened, but considering the number of clients he and his father both have/had over the years, I think it's pretty telling.

I would definitely consider other places to buy a safe......unfortunately, I don't have an extra $700-$1000 in cash, and Lowes is my only option right now since I've consolidated my debt and gotten rid of all my other credit cards.

Since some of you are saying that storing ammo in the safe is not a good idea, is keeping loaded guns in the safe not good either?

Guest sigsbird

I have a Liberty safe but it"s not the cenurian. When they delivered it they had equipment that handled it like it was a toy. It went up and down steps with ease. I think the liberty weighs a lot more than 300lbs. The $60.00 charge is well worth it. I also had them come back and install an electic (battery operated) key pad. It made a tremendous difference.

Thanks for the input guys!

I suppose I'll store my ammo elsewhere and keep the guns in the safe unloaded. I guess I could have an ammo can sitting nearby with loaded mags for the AR-15 in case of an emergency. I always have a loaded carry gun on me and a loaded shotgun (or two) around the house ready to go that won't be kept in the safe.

I've heard of some people using those dry bags or silicone gun socks on the guns that stay in the safe.....that it will help with water damage in the event of a fire. That's the bad thing about this particular Liberty model......it's fireproof but not waterproof.

Sigsbird said:

I also had them come back and install an electic (battery operated) key pad. It made a tremendous difference.

Hey Sigsbird, how much did they charge you to put the electronic keypad in your safe? Was it Liberty that did it, or the dealer that you bought the safe from?

As far as some kind of desicant goes, what do you guys use?

I was thinking about getting one of those Remington Golden Rod things for it......or possibly the rechargable little unit that you can plug in and recharge every so often.

I have a small Sentry Fire and Waterproof media rated safe in my mothers basement that I just keep backup picture files and dvd's, along with some pictures and papers. It's a finished and heated basement, and I keep small desicant packs in there. My mother also runs a dehumidifier in the basement. I STILL find mold in there and have to clean it out every few months.

I keep it over there because I wanted backups of my pictures and home movies somewhere besides here. That way, if my place ever burns, I have all my pictures and movies somewhere else. I've lost all that before and I don't ever want it to happen again.

As far as some kind of desicant goes, what do you guys use?

I use a 1 lb renewable bag in my rifle safe and a few of the small disposable packets in my pistol safe.

The 1lb bag came from where I work, I'm not sure where you'd buy one. The small packets can be had online or at places like Hobby Lobby.

Honestly, an open container of dry rice or salt will do the same thing. Just don't spill it!

Wow, I've never heard of using rice, salt, or oatmeal before. I'd be very hesitant to use the salt though! Can you imagine if you did have a fire with a container of salt in there, and the safe got overturned and soaked with water. :D The oatmeal and rice sounds good though!

Actually, I believe I'll get one of the Eva-Dry rechargable units that mikegideon recommended. Sounds easy, safe and fairly cheap. :up:

Wow, I've never heard of using rice, salt, or oatmeal before. I'd be very hesitant to use the salt though! Can you imagine if you did have a fire with a container of salt in there, and the safe got overturned and soaked with water. :D The oatmeal and rice sounds good though!

Actually, I believe I'll get one of the Eva-Dry rechargable units that mikegideon recommended. Sounds easy, safe and fairly cheap. :up:

Ever see grains of rice in a salt shaker at a restaurant? It's in there to absorb moisture so the salt doesn't clump. Both salt and rice (and sugar, and flour, and...) will absorb water (hygroscopic is the $3 word for it) but rice absorbs it faster. I'd not heard of oatmeal, but that makes sense too.