Concealed Carry

Guest Jamesmb

Guest Jamesmb

Hi,

I am new to handguns, just bought my first less then a month ago and was wondering on the back ground check to get your concealed carry is that like buying a new handgun and the nics check? Also what else do you have to do and how long does this take?

Thanks,

James

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the forum!!!

In order to get a carry permit in Tennessee, you basically have to do three things.

1. Take a carry class.

2. Pay $115 at the driver's liscense station along with filing an application.

3.) Get fingerprinted.

That's really it. I did those three in two days and now I am just waiting for the permit to come in. Here is the state website for info on this...

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgunmain.htm

Also, about the check at the store...that is different. That is a very quick on the spot check that just takes a minute.

Hope this helps!!! :)

Basically, if you pass the NICs check and do the class and other stuff, you will get the permit.

The class is very easy. Since you are new to handguns, you might want to take one of the better ones that gives you a couple of extra hours of gun orientation. Phantom6, here on the board, has an excellent class in Oak Ridge.

• Administrator

I can't help but wonder... are you worried about something on the background check? I only ask because lately we've had a few stories here about folks who passed the check and then subsequently had their permits revoked when the State discovered things like misdemeanor marijuana use on their criminal record.

If you're at all worried about something on your record, you might want to do some checking before you spend your money. :-\

Basically, if you pass the NICs check and do the class and other stuff, you will get the permit.

The class is very easy. Since you are new to handguns, you might want to take one of the better ones that gives you a couple of extra hours of gun orientation. Phantom6, here on the board, has an excellent class in Oak Ridge.

+1 on Phantoms class. I took it having never shot a handgun and scored 466/480 on the shooting portion.

Guest Jamesmb
I can't help but wonder... are you worried about something on the background check? I only ask because lately we've had a few stories here about folks who passed the check and then subsequently had their permits revoked when the State discovered things like misdemeanor marijuana use on their criminal record.

If you're at all worried about something on your record, you might want to do some checking before you spend your money. :-\

Actually I was worried about something which under nics (from the way I read it) I would pass but somewhere I read the state regulations on carry and do not think I would. Seems there are quite a few additional restrictions which I dont have the link now but might bar me from being able to carry. This does not concern any criminal record though.

Yes, there are probably a couple of additional classes of people who cannot get a TN Handgun Carry Permit, but can purchase a firearm legally from a dealer in TN. I have read somewhere if you have more than one DWI/DUI conviction in a short period of time (possibly within the past three years) you cannot get a handgun carry permit. Some misdemeanor drug convictions within a recent time period could also mess you up.

I have no idea what the class is like here because i took my class in Arkansas. People here have told me you can qualify with any handgun and carry whatever you want handgun wise....as opposed to qualifying each type of handgun you want to carry such as semi or revolver.....I had to qualify on a range with a semi auto to be able to carry a semi, revolver, or derringer. TN might be more friendly than AR as far as range qualification and not making folks requalify after four years.

Guest canynracer
Actually I was worried about something which under nics (from the way I read it) I would pass but somewhere I read the state regulations on carry and do not think I would. Seems there are quite a few additional restrictions which I dont have the link now but might bar me from being able to carry. This does not concern any criminal record though.

Qualifications That Must Be Met Before Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit

• Effective July 1, 2005, all new handgun permit applicants must provide proof of
    unless such applicant has already provided this proof and it is documented on their driver license record.

• Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:
    1. <LI class=bodytext>Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or <LI class=bodytext>successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or <LI class=bodytext>successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or

2. successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

[*]Applicants are required to be a resident of the State of Tennessee;

[*]Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age;

[*]Applicants shall not have been convicted of any felony offense punishable for a term exceeding one (1) year;

[*]Applicants shall not currently be under indictment or information for any criminal offense punishable by a term exceeding one (1) year;

[*]Shall not be currently the subject of any order of protection;

[*]Shall not be a fugitive from justice;

[*]Shall not be an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance and the applicant has not been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within ten (10) years from the date of application;

[*]The applicant has not been convicted of the offense of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other State two (2) or more times within ten (10) years from the date of application and that none of such convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal.

[*]Shall not have been adjudicated as mental defective; has not been committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution; has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect; has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of a mental illness, development disability or other mental incapacity; and has not, within seven (7) years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in Title 33, Chapter 6, Part 5, because of mental illness;

[*]Shall not be an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States;

[*]Shall not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions (dishonorable discharge, bad conduct discharge or other than honorable discharge Chapter 1340-2-5-.02 (5);

[*]Having been a citizen of the United States, applicants shall not have renounced their citizenship;

[*]Shall not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence as defined in 18 U.S.C.A. 921 (33);

[*]Shall not be receiving social security disability benefits by reason of alcohol dependence, drug dependence or mental disability;

[*]Shall not have been convicted of the offense of stalking;

Requirements for Obtaining a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit
Applicant shall submit proof of the successful completion of a department approved Handgun Safety Course within the past six (6) months. Call (615) 251-8590 to find out locations and phone numbers of schools.

Submit application at any Driver License Exam Station location.

Applicant is required to present a photo ID to the department at the time of filing the application.

Pay $115 non-refundable application fee payable by cash or certified check.

Applicant will be given a toll free number to call and schedule a fingerprint appointment.
for additional fingerprinting information.

Incomplete applications cannot be processed.

FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.

PROCESSING

Applications are received and reviewed in the Handgun Carry Permit Office.

Proper documentation is forwarded to three (3) different agencies: (TBI, FBI, County Sheriff).

Upon a name search approval from TBI, the permit can be issued within ninety (90) days from date of application.

Upon issuance, the handgun carry permit will be mailed to the applicant.

Incomplete applications cannot be processed.

FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you have any doubt, I would call the dept of saftey before wasting the money...my class was 75 buck, plus the app (115)....seems like a waste of $200.00 if you dont think you qualify under the above terms.

Good Luck!!! Keep us posted

Guest canynracer

Just to add....my DUI from 10 years ago came into play...I had to get original court documents from CA, to ship to Nashville... I still got my permit (got it Saturday)

Welcome to the forum!!!

In order to get a carry permit in Tennessee, you basically have to do three things.

1. Take a carry class.

3.) Get fingerprinted.

That's really it. I did those three in two days and now I am just waiting for the permit to come in. Here is the state website for info on this...

Also, about the check at the store...that is different. That is a very quick on the spot check that just takes a minute.

I had to sit at the health clinic for two hours waiting on an original copy of my birth certificate after a 30 minute drive to the dmv in cleveland.

you didn't include that step...lol

Guest clutepc
Welcome to the forum!!!

1. Take a carry class.

3.) Get fingerprinted.

Don't forget your birth certificate, they (DMV) required my wife and I to have a certified copy of ours before we could turn in our app.

So I've been waiting a month for NC to send mine..fun fun

I missed that requirement on the TN site when I looked over it..

Guest Jamesmb
So James I will ask what no one else will.

What do you think is prohibiting you from a carry permit?

Well as much as I hate to answer this, I will try.

I am on disability, but trying to work now to get off it. My health problems are some mental illness and crohns disease. Under NICS,

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm#top

"• A person adjudicated mental defective or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or incompetent to handle own affairs, including dispositions to criminal charges pertaining to found not guilty by reason of insanity or found incompetent to stand trial." would bar a person from passing, I wanted to find out more about "A person adjudicated mental defective"

and according to http://www.lcav.org/content/mlmentalhealthprint.asp I still qualify.

But from what was posted earlier about

[ Qualifications That Must Be Met Before Applying for a Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit ]

"Shall not have been adjudicated as mental defective; has not been committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution; has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect; has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of a mental illness, development disability or other mental incapacity; and has not, within seven (7) years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in Title 33, Chapter 6, Part 5, because of mental illness;"

is what I wonder about. I have never been found to be dangerous to anybody or myself.

Guest Jamesmb
IMO, you should call the TDOS for clarification, I think they would be able to tell you if you meet the requirements or not.

just my 2 cents

Hi

I am going to call them, that is a good idea. Did see on their website this link which is the form you have to fill out, http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/forms/handgunapplication.pdf for a carry. It says, in Section III, if you answered "YES" to any of the questions 4 through 16, use Handgun Supplement on back to explain. Not sure if answering YES to any of those will automatically bar me from this permit in reality. I belive I would have to answer YES to questoins 13© and 15 of this form. If able to get this, is the complete fee, including class instruction and what TDOS charges come to 115 + whatever class charges = 200 bucks?

James, I think you would be approved. Basically if you can buy a gun legally you should be able to get a HCP.

Being on disability is not the same as being adjudicated of being mentally defective.

Call TDOS or maybe speak to an attorney versed in carry laws in TN if possible.

i am going to PM you with a name of a guy I know on the net who is an attorney, I bet he would answer this for you.

And the costs of getting the permit for me was right at $200 between the class and the state fee.

it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to get the permit after you file the paperwork. i had a small snafu slow mine up from a court case in the early 90's. seems the dates of the offense in question were showing up different. all i had to do was goto the courthouse and get certified copies of the judgements and send them to nashville and i got my permit 10 days later. i looked at the issue date of the permit and it was printed 3 days after my documents were sent and rec'd by certified mail.

I had to sit at the health clinic for two hours waiting on an original copy of my birth certificate after a 30 minute drive to the dmv in cleveland.

you didn't include that step...lol

LOL...What's funny about this is I had to do the same thing. I lost my original so I had to go get a new copy. I was so mad about that for some reason. Anyway, glad you got that taken car of. I am now on day 31 waiting for my permit. Can't wait till it comes!!!

LOL...What's funny about this is I had to do the same thing. I lost my original so I had to go get a new copy. I was so mad about that for some reason. Anyway, glad you got that taken car of. I am now on day 31 waiting for my permit. Can't wait till it comes!!!

You do know you can get them online, right? :eek:

there are several different sites, but most run about $20-$30.

Guest Jamesmb

Hi everybody

Well I guess I cant carry a gun in TN so will not be able to defend myself. I just called TDOS and the lady there said because I answered yes to that form that you fill out for a handgun carry question 15 in Section III then I can not get a carry permit. I asked to speak to somebody else there about this but she told me to write a letter and send my query to them.

I am very sorry to read this James.

Look into what you can do to rectify this situation. Don't get down on yourself about it either.

Well I guess I cant carry a gun in TN so will not be able to defend myself.

I believe you are misspeaking here. There are other option for defense at this point, just the carrying of a gun is not one of them yet.