Leaving a round in the chamber???

I didn't know whether to post this here or on the handgun forum so forgive me if it's in the wrong place. How long is it ok to leave a round in the chamber of my Glock 19? I've only had my permit for about a month now and began by carrying it loaded but w/o a round in the chamber for a while. After really drilling safe gun handling rules into my head, I've bengun carrying a round in the chamber the last week or so but I've also been to the range twice in that time and put a few rounds through it. If I go a few weeks without shooting and it goes straight into my safe at night (in a holster that covers the triggerguard), is it bad for the weapon to leave a round chambered for a long period of time? I just got another Glock (26) as a 2nd carry gun but I'm more comfortable with the 19, (and it has night sites) so it's likely the first thing I'd pull out of the safe if I heard glass breaking at 3 AM.

BTW, I've got a toddler who gets into all my things so I won't be strapping a holster on the nightstand as some of you guys do... Instead, I just practice getting into my safe quickly so it would be automatic if I had to do it under stress.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The round in the chamber won't deteriorate or anything... so it's really up to your preference regarding what condition you want your gun to always be in, the most important part is that whatever you choose, do it consistently... that way you'll never wonder. Personally... I know that all of my handguns are ready to go if they are in a holster.

Guest jackdm3

I would think that your toddler would come up with an infection from his arm tats before a round did anything to your chamber. Never heard of anything happening regarding oxidation or corrosion between metals, if that's what you were worried about.

The round in the chamber won't deteriorate or anything... so it's really up to your preference regarding what condition you want your gun to always be in, the most important part is that whatever you choose, do it consistently... that way you'll never wonder. Personally... I know that all of my handguns are ready to go if they are in a holster.

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I just didn't know if it's putting the weapon under stress in some way.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Guest truthsayer
would it hurt to keep a round of corrosive ammo chambered like say 7.62x25 in a Tokarev? I have never done it, but always wondered about it.

Nope... from what I understand, it's the salts that are left behind after combustion that are corrosive.

Totally fine to leave it chambered as long as you like.

That said, if you keep chambering and clearing the same round over and over you're going to get bullet set-back which could potentially be bad... I just try to chamber a different round out of the mag everytime so no one same round gets too beat up, than I usually empty my carry ammo the fun way every month or two... YMMV.

(I mention it 'cause I know a few guys where when I pointed it out they noticed the round they'd been chambering over and over was like a 1/4" shorter than all their others...)

Also, remember you are leaving it cocked, so if you're going to store it over a long period might want to unchamber it and just dryfire it to store the striker in it's relaxed position (I store my striker guns in this condition and only cock and chamber them when they're on my hip, but that's just me). Leaving it cocked all the time could weaken or wear out the striker spring... Although you'd probably need to leave it cocked for a 100 years or so for that to happen IMO...

Edited by CK1
I would think that your toddler would come up with an infection from his arm tats before a round did anything to your chamber. Never heard of anything happening regarding oxidation or corrosion between metals, if that's what you were worried about.

Ha! Ha! I'd just have to keep the pistolas away from my wife if I actually did that to my kid. Me, on the other hand, many who meet me don't know it, but I'm probably the most tattooed lawyer you'd ever meet. If I were to roll up my sleaves, people look at me like I'm a 6'4" horse racing jockey, a classical musician who's a closet bluegrass fiend, or when you meet an asian with a strong southern accent.

Edited by JReedEsq
addition

Some folks claim you should fire and replace your personal defense rounds with new annually, just to be sure they're "fresh". It certainly won't hurt the gun. Honestly, I don't. Ammo sits for decades w/o deteriorating.

I've also got a toddler so my PD gun(s) stay locked up in the safe when I'm not there. I take one out when I go to bed and put it back up when I leave for work.

As for the corrosive ammo.... no, just sitting UNFIRED in the gun won't hurt anything. It's the powder inside the cartridge that's corrosive. You must clean the rifle thoroughly after shooting corrosive ammo. It's not like battery acid that'll eat it up quickly, but the powder residue will cause some corrosion if left for extended periods.

Guest jackdm3

"If I were to roll up my sleaves, people look at me like I'm a 6'4" horse racing jockey, a classical musician who's a closet bluegrass fiend, or when you meet an asian with a strong southern accent."

I don't even know how to make a whitticism on that one!

Ha! Ha! I'd just have to keep the pistolas away from my wife if I actually did that to my kid. Me, on the other hand, many who meet me don't know it, but I'm probably the most tattooed lawyer you'd ever meet. If I were to roll up my sleaves, people look at me like I'm a 6'4" horse racing jockey, a classical musician who's a closet bluegrass fiend, or when you meet an asian with a strong southern accent.

you know vince?

Maybe I'm the only one that does this, but I unload, field strip, inspect and clean my carry gun once a week. I know it's way more than necessary, but it puts my mind at ease knowing it's not full of lint or some other garbage, and knowing that it is well-oiled. That also allows you to inspect the chambered round and change it out if necessary (which it has yet to ever be)

Guest Bonedaddy

I don't know about you guys but I had 2 friends damn near killed because of leaving a round in the chamber for months maybe a year. Mag was dropped and slide was jacked but they didn't check the breach and pow! Both times it happened it went right by their head and just missed by couple of inches. Corrosion and metal expansion can cause a round to stick and not eject. Always check the weapon!

I don't know about you guys but I had 2 friends damn near killed because of leaving a round in the chamber for months maybe a year. Mag was dropped and slide was jacked but they didn't check the breach and pow! Both times it happened it went right by their head and just missed by couple of inches. Corrosion and metal expansion can cause a round to stick and not eject. Always check the weapon!

Know your storage conditions - moisture is the key. Two metals of different composition can stay in contact in a dry environment for very long periods, but:

Add moisture, and a small electric potential is created between the two. One metal will oxidize (rust or tarnish), and the other will reduce (you won't notice, unless it was previously oxidized). Brass and steel can have this interaction.

If you store your guns in a damp environment, keep a dehumidifier with them. Store them cleaned and oiled if a round is chambered (I'm sure you guys store them cleaned and oiled at all times, but if you've got a round in, it's an absolute). The oil will prevent the metals from making contact, and is nonconductive.

Nickel casings should be less reactive than brass, but I'd check HD ammo anyways. Besides, it's fun taking guns apart and putting them together.

Guns put the FUN in FUNdamental chemistry!

That said, if you keep chambering and clearing the same round over and over you're going to get bullet set-back which could potentially be bad... I just try to chamber a different round out of the mag everytime so no one same round gets too beat up, than I usually empty my carry ammo the fun way every month or two... YMMV.

When I go to the range, I drop the mag of carry ammo and load the FMJ practice stuff. My first shot is the HP that was in the chamber. Never chamber the same round twice, and only costs me one round of carry ammo per visit.

Guest marionandjohn

I see no reason to not leave it chambered as long as you feel however I am no spring tension expert. I personally unchamber my carry gun every night and put it to rest in my nightstand I just dont like it chambered if I am not in complete control of it. as for my other weapons they are stored unloaded always. as for my son (5 yrs old) he knows very well what the guns do and has even shot a few. I have tought him from very young about guns as dwarren has said safety is between your ears and kids are very apt to learning all kinds of stuff if you teach them. I am not saying you are teaching your kid wrong or that you need to do diff. with your child I am saying what I do works for me and my son (it might be diff. with my daughter (shes 5 mths.) we shall see.) Again what ever or how ever you do it always to it.