Savage Model 24 Over/Under Combo Guns

Sidewinder

Just for grins, I'm wondering how many folks on here have one of these Savage model 24 guns, and in what series, caliber/gauges. I'll list mine in a fashion that I hope others will list theirs. Lets hear from all you Savage 24 guys.

#1. Savage 24S .22LR/20Gauge

#2. Savage 24V-B .30-30/20Gauge

Edited by Sidewinder
First gun is NOT an "S-B", instead it's an "S" Field Grade
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the designator is, but mine is a .22 Mag over .410

Sounds like it's a Savage model 24, or it could be a Stevens...before Savage bought them out. It should tell you right on the barrel. If you'd like to read up on the different models and calibers, there's a website "Savage24.com". But, be forewarned, it has some problems...like hijacking! I've never got a virus there, but it is pretty wild sometimes. make sure all your anti-virus and firewall- popup blockers are energized! Thanks for posting.

Sounds like it's a Savage model 24, or it could be a Stevens...before Savage bought them out. It should tell you right on the barrel. If you'd like to read up on the different models and calibers, there's a website "Savage24.com". But, be forewarned, it has some problems...like hijacking! I've never got a virus there, but it is pretty wild sometimes. make sure all your anti-virus and firewall- popup blockers are energized! Thanks for posting.

It's a Savage 24, by designator I was referring to the last letter behind the number. 24S, 24F, etc...

I got you 56FordGuy. Like the '56 Ford, that .22Mag/410Ga is a sweet piece of machinery. That designator, and the one that follows it, should be stamped on the barrel or receiver. Does it have the breech lever behind the hammer, or on the side of the receiver? How about the barrel selector...on the hammer, or on the side of the receiver? They are a real handy gun, for many applications.

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by Sidewinder
Forgot the dat blasted comma!

Ah, you made me get curious enough to go look at it. It has Savage 24J-DL on the right side of the receiver. The barrel selector is on the hammer, and the break- open lever is on the top of the receiver.

Stupid question, where is the serial number supposed to be on this thing?

Ah, you made me get curious enough to go look at it. It has Savage 24J-DL on the right side of the receiver. The barrel selector is on the hammer, and the break- open lever is on the top of the receiver.

Stupid question, where is the serial number supposed to be on this thing?

56FordGuy, sorry... I haven't been on here in a couple of days. That's a nice gun you have, as the -DL indicates it's a "Deluxe" version. Not all year models had serial numbers! It should be on the receiver, if you have one. If not, the year model is indicated by a letter stamped in an oval on the lower barrel lug, or somewhere on the lower barrel. These letters correspond to year of manufacture for guns without S/Ns.

"To anger a Conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Sounds about right. I'll check when I get back to the States in a few days.

Behindenemylines, stay safe, and we appreciate what you guys are doing for our country. Hope you're home soon.

"To anger a Conservative, tell him a lie. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Mine's a 24V - .222 Rem over 20 gauge.

I've never shot the 24V in .222/20 gauge. I'd think that round (.222) ought to be pretty accurate, and have a pretty good range on it. What do you primarily use the .222 round on here in Tennessee? Deer, coyotes, wild pigs...or what?

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

• 2 weeks later...

I think these Savage 24's are just way too cool.

I bought one a week ago at a pawn shop. The metal looks pretty good, but the stock was scratched up quite a bit. So I'm getting ready to strip the wood down and refinish it.

It is a Savage 24 series M: 22LR/20

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping you can help me identify the age and designation of mine. It is a Savage model 24 not Stevens. There is no serial number that I can see. There is a number 238 in an oval that is on the barrel assembly and on the side of the receiver (very faint) and the letters SB, also in an oval. The selector switch is on the receiver but missing the button.

Hoping you can help me identify the age and designation of mine. It is a Savage model 24 not Stevens. There is no serial number that I can see. There is a number 238 in an oval that is on the barrel assembly and on the side of the receiver (very faint) and the letters SB, also in an oval. The selector switch is on the receiver but missing the button.

Look "very carefully" inside the open breech at the locking lug for a letter inside an oval. It may be stamped on the barrel, near the locking lug. Sometimes they were struck lightly. It may take some magnification to determine the single letter inside the oval. This letter has to be compared to a date chart. I have the chart somewhere on this or one of my other computers. Just let me know what the letter is.

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, (Progressive these days) tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by Sidewinder
To add a statement. Troy, you didn't give the cal./Ga.
  • 3 weeks later...

"How about some before and after pics? Are you going to use oil or varnish? "

Sorry to be slow in replying, I just now got back to this thread. I'm using Tru-oil. I'm just about finished, hopefully I'll put it back together this weekend. I kept intending to take a few pictures before I started but never did it. But I will take a few pics when it's done. This is the first time I've ever tried to refinish anything, but so far I'm pleased with the way it looks. Definitely better than when I brought it home.