HCP renewal delay - I guess

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Here's the rundown on my status of renewal.....

For those who would like to check on their status, here's the number BTW:

1-615-251-8590

The lady that I talked to was very nice and looked me up on computer via my driver's licence number (you can also use your SSN).

She told me my backgroud had not been run yet and that they're on a new system and with budget cuts, they're really slow.

They must have transfered all those employeees to running to the bank, they sure didn't waste any time cashing my $50 check.

I seem to remember renewing on line the last time I renewed.

It only took about 3 weeks to get my new HCP.

I wonder what happened to that deal?

Word to the wise:

Renew your HCP 6 months in advance.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been waiting over 6 months for mine to come back . I renewed on August 18 2009 in Cleveland TN. This is the second time I have renewed and this is the longest I have ever waited. Mine expired in October and all I have is the paper given at the driver license office and my old permit. ;)

Is it still legal to carry ? I figure it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by six!

I did break down and call in January and was told it was there waiting on a background check . I told the lady that I had bought a new handgun in December and the background check took 20 minutes . She said that she would get it in the right hands to see it got took care of. I have a freind who originally went to the same class . We also renewed at about the same time in August of last year. He has not got his back either and was given the same answer when he called .

I am off Friday and may call again.

Called on my renewal today. (Did it by mail, BIG mistake). They cashed my check Jan 8. Very nice lady, Wanda, told me there was only 1 lady doing background checks now, budget cuts and all. She is really backed up. Will not be sending the "renewal application" receipt in the mail, too busy. If my new permit does not come in time, I cannot carry, period. No receipt!! DO NOT renew by mail. Take a day off work and stand in line. At least you get a receipt.

Called on my renewal today. (Did it by mail, BIG mistake). They cashed my check Jan 8. Very nice lady, Wanda, told me there was only 1 lady doing background checks now, budget cuts and all. She is really backed up. Will not be sending the "renewal application" receipt in the mail, too busy. If my new permit does not come in time, I cannot carry, period. No receipt!! DO NOT renew by mail. Take a day off work and stand in line. At least you get a receipt.

Not that it will help you, but there is a bill in the legislature now that would allow your canceled check to serve as proof of renewal. Makes me think they maybe aware there is a problem.

As far as not sending you the receipt or letter, I don't think I'd let that stand. Maybe try to speak with someone else in the officer or contact your state elected officials.

Try calling the Tn Comptroller's waste and abuse hotline and filing a complaint. The number is 1-800-232-5454

If enough people call and complain about this, State Audit will look into it.

Divisions of the Comptroller's Office

J.

I called Again today for a total waste of my time. I was nice and again I was told I am on the list waiting for a Backgroud check. I told her I had renewed in August and called in January and was given the same answer. She said they are really behind with all the additional background checks.

I asked if she had any idea how long it was going to take ? Her answer was she coulndn't really say because she was not sure. I do know it has not been lost in the mail .

I realize that 2009 has been a GREAT YEAR for gun sales . I also see where Tennessee is up 23% in carry permits. I am thinking that the background checks are Federal for permits as are new gun sales checks . I can also assume that at least some other states have an increase in carry permits as well .

If this increase causes this kind of delays , I can only hope and pray I am not going to have to rely on the Government if I am having a HEART ATTACK!!! I feel like I am up :stare: creek without a paddle.

Yes, when you go to the DMV you get a receipt which coupled with your permit will allow you to carry until you get your new one or you are denied.

im not so sure i would test this theory in another state. im not so sure i would test it in tennessee to be totally honest.

let one thing come from this thread. renew 6 months ahead of schedule. mine expires in jan of 2011 so you can bet your you know what i will turn in the renewal probably in may.

You just don't believe the statute that covers this is a real law, or what?

- OS

I could understand his hesitation since the state website says you cannot carry until you receive your new permit. Handgun Carry Permit Frequently Asked Questions I guess this is why they say you CAN renew up to 6 months before it expires.. probably should read "you BETTER" renew 6 months before it expires.

I could understand his hesitation since the state website says you cannot carry until you receive your new permit. Handgun Carry Permit Frequently Asked Questions I guess this is why they say you CAN renew up to 6 months before it expires.. probably should read "you BETTER" renew 6 months before it expires.

"39-17-1351 (q)(1)

In the event the permit expires prior to the department's approval or issuance of notice of denial regarding the renewal application, the permit holder shall be entitled to continue to use the expired permit; provided, however, that the permit holder shall also be required to prove by displaying a receipt for the renewal application fee that the renewal application was delivered to the department prior to the expiration date of the permit."

I don't think I need a law degree, or the TNDOS's opinion, to interpret that.

- OS

That is only if you have waited until it has expired before you renew. You can do a renewal up to 6 months after your permit has expired. But if you do that, you can not carry until you get a new permit.

However if you renew before you current permit expires, you can continue to carry, even after expiration date, as long as you have the receipt to show you applied for a renewal.

• 2 weeks later...

My buddy got his back last week at just over 6 months. We renewed within a few days of each other . I talked to some others taht had renewals coming up and told them go early . They got their back in no time . I don't understand the delays on just certain ones.

My last experience-

I sent my renewal and check in by mail and the Dept of Safety sent me a receipt letter dated June 5, 2009. I received my new HCP in the mail Feb 26, 2010. I called a couple of times in between and was told that they were understaffed and very backlogged on renewals. I believe I got the same lady both times I called and she was extremely polite and helpful. There's no reason to stress if you're expired as long as you have your reciept to carry with your expired HCP.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I just called again. The nice lady told me that my permit was issued on Feb 10th and is in the mail. I should get it next week sometime. That will put the renewal time at about 40 days for me.

I ended up getting my new permit 2 days after my old one expired. The whole process from when I mailed it in (yea, mistake) to getting the new permit was right at 60 days.

You have to hand it to them though, even as overwhelmed and understaffed as they are, they people in the handgun permit office that answer the phone are always very polite. I sure wish the folks down at the drivers license stations were that easy to talk to.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Keyless. I 'think' part of your delay might have been that you actually applied so early. I think I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to apply for a renewal more than 6 months prior to your current permit expiring. I might be wrong on that but I feel pretty sure I read that somewhere on the states website.

Keyless. I 'think' part of your delay might have been that you actually applied so early. I think I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to apply for a renewal more than 6 months prior to your current permit expiring. I might be wrong on that but I feel pretty sure I read that somewhere on the states website.

How can you tell from his post how early he renewed?

He only stated how long it took, when it arrived and when he applied, but not when his expiration date was.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Fallguy

I misread his comment. I read it to say that it came in 7 months later, 5 days short of his permit expiring. I mistakenly thought his permit expired 5 days after March 13. Thanks for making me take a second look. My apologies.

Let me clear it up. Mine ran out in October. I applied in August as did my buddy who's also ran out in October. We had originally taken the class together in the late 90's .

So I only applied for a renewal 2 months before it ran out. His came back a little over a week ago and mine came back Saturday. I don't know what crack we fell through but I will worry about that next time. :D