Your thoughts on a new Ruger

Guest eggman

I was looking for a good single-six a couple weeks ago when I bought a Blackhawk. So now I think am back on the look out for a single-six. I did look at couple Heritage Arms 22lr. They were OK but just not what I want.

So while out looking again today I finally looked at Mark II's and Mark III's. I really liked the MarkIII target but not the hunter too much. And I liked the Mark II too, maybe not as much as the target model.

The only thing I will use these for is plinking and just messing around. I am leaning a little more towards the single-six right now just because it will shoot anything and not have to worry about jams. So I guess I am just curious what everyones opinion is on these models.

single-six convertable stainless

single-six convertable blued

mark III hunter

mark II standard

For some reason rugers are just catching my eye right now. but noe dead set on a ruger though

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a mk III and love it. I think if you are going to be mainly plinking, you would have more fun with an auto verse a single action. I have a single action in a 22. It is cool and all, but if I had to pick one based on overall enjoyment, it would be the mk III.

If you happen to be a real deadeye, the Mark III's are probably a little more accurate than the Single Six, due to the SS's barrel being necessarily bored for the .22 mag rather than the .22LR.

The Bearcat is .22LR only.

Just like my Blackhawk .357/9mm is technically more accurate with the .357 than the 9mm.

Of course, I can't tell the diff.

- OS

Guest CajunKen

I think it boils down to a question of aesthetics. Do you prefer the old west look of the single six or the more modern look of the semi's. They are both very accurate and fun to shoot IMO.B)

if accuracy matters then the Mk2 or Mk3 win out hands down.

I have a SAS and a Mk3. There is no comparison in accuracy. The revolver is fun to shoot but not overly accurate with .22's. It is fairly accurate with magnum loads.

But there is something calming about loading, shooting and unloading the Single Six.

Honestly if I had to let one of them go I would have to flip a coin.

Ruger MKII standard points pretty much like pointing your finger and the balance is good for plinking or carrying in the woods. Not too heavy. Carry 4 extra mags and you can have some fun. I've had several single action .22s: Single Six, couple of H&Rs even a Taurus. I've had 4 or 5 MKIIs. .22 pistols are more fun than revolvers IMHO for just general plinking. The Ruger MKII allows you some aftermarket if you want to go that way, for that matter so does the MKIII, but if you can find a MKII Standard used at a good price you probably should snatch it up. The biggest difference between your two Ruger MK series choices will be forward balance and size. The MKIII Hunter may reduce your wobble a bit, but the Std will allow a bit better speed for plinking, as well as easier to carry in the woods.

The take down on the mk pistols is really not that bad. I have heard horror stories about it, but seriously, I can pull mine down in about two minutes. Detail stripping takes a little longer naturally, but field stripping is really fairly simple. I am not trying to despute eapking, but I have never had to use a hammer on mine.

The MKIII is a great shooter, but the take down & reassembly is just a pain in the butt. I'm sorry, but you should not have to hit a gun with a rubber hammer to get it apart.

You are so right. The first few times on my new MK lll 22/45 short barrel

slab-sided, it was a real pain. Then I took the manual and went step-

by-step and started to get the hang of it. Then I set down and did

it ten times at one setting, and now have it under my control.

It is worth the effort. No FTF, FTE unless the ammo is bad.

It fires all the bulk Federal, Remington and others that I have tried.

Some Remington won't fire with a sledge hammer. That's no fault

of the gun. I lose about 10% of the Remington in the Walther P-22.

Now I hear a lot about how bad the bulk Federal is, well I've not

found that. But then, I'm no expert. I do fire these 2 guns most days.

There is a place down below the barn to fire weapons, so that

helps practice.

Edited by LCPTN
I'm sorry, but you should not have to hit a gun with a rubber hammer to get it apart.

The thing is...you really don't have to.

Have 3 ruger standard automatics that are over 40 years old in my safe. They have gone through 3 generations and look better than most of the guns that roll through the classifieds here. Not one - ever - has required the separation of the receiver from the trigger group/Handle. All they need it to remove the mainspring, pull out the bolt, clean the bore, rub everything down, and put it back together.

People lament how difficult they are to take down for some reason. It is no more challenging that other guns....22s especially. Compared to a Marlin 60, or Nylon66, or practically any other gun that has a sub assembly that is not made for field stripping it comes down to individual components rather easily with no special tools at all

Guest Orionsic

I shoot a Ruger MKII Competition model that I picked up for about $380 used. Shoots under a 1" at 50 yards right out of the box. Great gun, good price. Widely accepted as the universal plinker for its features. You can probably find one on gunbroker for about $420-450 shipped.

The thing is...you really don't have to.

Have 3 ruger standard automatics that are over 40 years old in my safe. They have gone through 3 generations and look better than most of the guns that roll through the classifieds here. Not one - ever - has required the separation of the receiver from the trigger group/Handle. All they need it to remove the mainspring, pull out the bolt, clean the bore, rub everything down, and put it back together.

People lament how difficult they are to take down for some reason. It is no more challenging that other guns....22s especially. Compared to a Marlin 60, or Nylon66, or practically any other gun that has a sub assembly that is not made for field stripping it comes down to individual components rather easily with no special tools at all

Sorry, but I'll stand by what I said. The first 3-4 times I took it down in field strip I had to hit it with a nylon hammer to get the barrel off. Now it's loosened up. I've seen people hit it on You-Tube and I think they either hit it or tell you you can hit it on the Ruger video. It is a fact for some folks anyway, and I find that ridiculous. The thing is I heard all this going in, so I can't b_tch too much. I'm just saying (love that) you should never have to hit a gun with a hammer to get it apart, even if it's only the first few times.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm just saying (love that) you should never have to hit a gun with a hammer to get it apart, even if it's only the first few times.

I have a safe full of guns that have pins with a slight interference fit. A punch and a hammer is required. They are on my 870s, my 500s, my H&Rs, my berettas, my smith and wessons, marlins, and...uh...my springfield.

Heck...the gas block on an AR you practically have to strap to the bench and jackhammer from the barrel.

Nobody bats an eye about any of those guns.

/Understand where you are coming from. From a functional perspective, however, there really isn't much of a difference between a pin and a cleat...though a clean is much less common.

I have the Mrk111 in 22/45 configuration with 4" bull barrel. It is one sweet pointing shooting little gun. Stock trigger is very nice, IMO. And while we're talking about Rugers, I recently bought an LCR and it too is a sweet shooting little piece in 38.

oldogy

My grandfather in law has one of the Ruger semiautos (can't remember which Mk) and they are fun. I really like the grip angle. I don't have either of the specific firearms you mention but will go against the grain on the SA revolver vs. semiauto 'fun factor'.

I have a S&W 22A semiauto (5.5 inch barrel) and a Heritage single action convertible. When I want to plink, etc. usually the Heritage goes with me and the semiauto stays at home. I just think the single action is more fun to shoot - plus it slows me down and, for me, creates better shot discipline in general which translates to shooting better with all of my handguns. As a bonus, with a convertible single action you can shoot just about any .22 rimfire ammo out there - the LR cylinder will fire long rifle, longs and shorts while the Magnum cylinder will fire WMR and (I believe) .22 WRF. You can even plink with the super quiet rounds that might not cycle a semiauto. Hard to beat such versatility. Of course, I prefer revolvers, in general.

I also carry my Heritage with the WMR cylinder as a 'yard gun' in the warmer months to use as snake/varmint medicine with a shotshell as the first up. I went with the 6.5 inch barrel because a WMR round from a handgun with a barrel of at least six inches or so will supposedly give velocity/energy comparable to a .22lr from a rifle (haven't tested this, myself.) Also, I like the look of blued better than stainless in this style gun and would only want stainless if it would be used in a role that exposed it to the elements pretty often (such as a camping gun, etc.)

Anyway, obviously, my .02 would be to go with the Single Six.

Edited by JAB

Careful, eggman!

Them Rugers can be highly addictive. Next thing you know you'll be craving one o them tanks known as the GP100.

Then you'll want an SP101 so you can have one with you all the time!

Next thing you know, you'll be emptying your pockets at night and saying, "Hey! Where'd that LCP come from?"

:)