aggravated assault class A misdemeanor

Guest joey615

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can i purchase a hand in tennessee if i have a aggravated assault Class A misdemeanor that was not domestic someone plz help! thank you

No, I don't think you can purchase a hand in any state. Maybe a mannequin hand? LOL sorry, it was just sitting there waiting.

I'll defer to the legal types on anything being aggravated and still classified as a misdmeanor but Federal law allows you to purchase a firearm if you have NOT been convicted of a Felony. You will still go through the background check and depending on what is noted by TBI, which goes through the NCIC database, as long as it's classified as you state you should be good to go.

Federal Firearms Laws

Your question did make me do a little research. If the incident you were involved in falls under subsection D of TCA 39-13-102. Aggravated assault. — then it can be a Class A misdemeanor. Make sure that's how it's recorded and you should be able to purchase. If it falls outside those parameters you could have an issue. Link to TCA provided and definition below:

(e) (1) Aggravated assault under subsection (d) is a Class A misdemeanor. Aggravated assault under subdivision (a)(1) or subsection (:rock: or © is a Class C felony. Aggravated assault under subdivision (a)(2) is a Class D felony. However, if an offense under subdivision (a)(1) or (a)(2) or subsection © is committed against a law enforcement officer, then the maximum fine shall be fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000).

That's one of two recommendations I made in a PM. I don't think he will mind as I would tell it to anyone. TBI background check and a trip to the Criminal Court Clerks office to see the file and find out exactly how it was presented (the styling of the case) with final adjudication to TBI and thus NCIC. What he believes it to be and what is actually in the system can be two things. A lawyer would need this information to council him anyway.

from what I understand TBI only checks TN. I would request one from the FBI as well. I had an issue from 25 years ago that was dismissed but FBI still had the print card, ie arrest with no final disposition.

what a PITA that was to get rid of.

No, I don't think you can purchase a hand in any state. Maybe a mannequin hand? LOL sorry, it was just sitting there waiting.

I'll defer to the legal types on anything being aggravated and still classified as a misdmeanor but Federal law allows you to purchase a firearm if you have NOT been convicted of a Felony. You will still go through the background check and depending on what is noted by TBI, which goes through the NCIC database, as long as it's classified as you state you should be good to go.

Federal Firearms Laws

Way to go, make fun of the new guy with a history of violence. :death:

Take that $29 you are about to spend on a background check, add 1$ to it and apply for a C&R license.

If you are refused they will let you know why, if they require any documentation to clear your record they will ask for it. If you are clear not only will you then know; but you will have a C&R license.

It’s how I got my mess straightened out. Not only have I not been refused anymore; but I have a C&R. :)

Guest Caveman
You got to be kidding. Is this a joke or is this guy for real. I see a news media headline in the making.

It is a simple question and I don't see a problem with it. Are you saying because he has a misdemeanor on his record he shouldn't be able to own a gun? It was many years ago and you don't know the circumstances behind it.

It is a simple question and I don't see a problem with it. Are you saying because he has a misdemeanor on his record he shouldn't be able to own a gun? It was many years ago and you don't know the circumstances behind it.

Doesn't even matter the circumstances.

TCA is pretty clear on the matter. As long as it wasn't a conviction for domestic violence, a class A misdemeanor is not a disqualification for HCP.

Ironically, though, once you have an HCP, any Class A 'meanor is cause to lose it.

- OS

Guest Caveman
Doesn't even matter the circumstances.

TCA is pretty clear on the matter. As long as it wasn't a conviction for domestic violence, a class A misdemeanor is not a disqualification for HCP.

Ironically, though, once you have an HCP, any Class A 'meanor is cause to lose it.

- OS

I know the law. I was just curious as to what Patty meant by the comment he left. It seems to me he was implying the OP should not own a gun because he has a record. Maybe I am taking it the wrong way, that's why I asked.