Camping

ZZRguy

My family and I went camping for the first time last year and really enjoyed it so we are planning a week long trip in April when the kids are out of school. I was looking online at the state parks here in Tn and I have narrowed it down to Frozen Head and Rock Island, and I was wanting to get your opinions on which one that would be the best for us.

We are going to be tent camping and wanted a primitive camping site with someplace nearby to get water and a place to take a shower. We like to walk the trails and go swimming if it is not too cold. So what would be the best place between Frozen Head and Rock Island? We are going to look at them sometime in the near future. Thanks, Charles

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Between those two I would take Frozen Head. I've spent quite a bit of time at both and in colder weather there is more to do there. There's hiking and overlooks and you're not too far from the Obed. There's quite a bit of hiking and scenery. Rock Island is more fun when the weather is warm and you can swim

I know you have your two narrowed down. But for future trips check out Defeated Creek Camp Ground on Cordell Hull Lake and Dale Hollow Dam Camp Ground. I have camped at both of them many times and they are great. The trout fishing is great at a little creek that runs through the Dale Hollow camping area.

Guest bkelm18

I love Frozen Head. A fair amount of stuff to do. Frozen Head has a nice campground, "primitive" but still has a bathhouse. Lots of trails. I camp there a few times a year. Far enough into the sticks that traffic noise and tourists are not a problem but Wartburg is just a few miles down the road if you need something.

Edited by bkelm18

I've never been to Frozen Head, but did spend a weekend at Rock Island a couple years ago. We had a family reunion there and stayed in the cabins they have. Other than being blistering hot (mid-July), we had a good time. The park itself is nice with a few hiking trails (relatively flat) and a couple of big water falls. I believe it's got the usual pool, tennis/basketball courts, playground, etc. It's not very big and there's not much around it so you might get a bit bored after a whole week. Just depends on what your family likes to do.

That's kind of funny, ya know?

- OS

I know but I do have a wife and a niece going on the trip. I guess when I said primitive campsite I wanted something with no electricity and where you are not looking at all the other campers.

Edited by ZZRguy
Why have you narrowed it down to two. I think Fall Creek Falls is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been, and it isn't far from the two you mentioned.

We went there last year and wanted something that had more trails that we could walk. I wanted something within 3 hours of my house and had primitive campsites. Thanks for suggesting Fall Creek Falls.

You are wanting 3 hours from Gallatin, and hiking. Try Stone Door near Swanee or got to Land between the Lakes for lots of room and very primitive to not so primitive sites.

I have been camping in almost all campgrounds in TN. Lots to choose from. but if you wan hiking that is not for the beginner these 2 would be my fist choice.

Guest BEARMAN
:D Whatever you do...DON'T tell anybody about...Big South Fork National River and Recreation Area, near Jamestown, cause it's the best kept secret in Tennessee!....:D

For those who have camped at Frozen Head, are the 'skeeters a problem there in the Spring and Summer - any worse than anywhere else, I mean? I've been to the park but haven't camped there and it kind of looks like a haven for the little buzzing vampires. Also, any good fishing in or around the park?

Frozen Head is awesome. One of my all time favorite campgrounds. Of course it's only 30 minutes from my house, so it's quite convenient, but i'd still go if it were 3 hours away.

If you go there, make sure to visit the Obed ranger station in Wartburg. Get a park map and go visit Lily Overlook. There is a short, very easy hike to an unbelievable boardwalk / overlook of Clear Creek canyon.

If you do a long hike in Frozen Head, make sure to hike up to the Rock House. very cool place where the bluff is undercut enough to camp under.