Springfield Loaded - Encourage or discourage me?

Guest PatriotCSA

Guest PatriotCSA

After doing a crazy amount of researching and gun shop visiting, I think I have just about settled on what I'm going to get. Originally I was aiming for something like a SA GI45, but I really like the better options that the Loaded has.

The model# I'm looking at is PX9109LP, Parkerized Loaded. The prices I keep seeing are $750-850.

After looking at a few other brands such as Kimber, I just couldn't help but be discouraged by the number of people who have mentioned how many finniky little problems they come with in the last few years. My best gun friend has two and both have taken a lot of work to get them right, on top of the not so cheap price tag he paid for them. I also checked out Taurus, which seemed to have the best features for the money. But I have read enough about the customer service + warranty horror stories to leave that one alone. I have read a lot of reviews about people who love their Kimbers and Tauri. I just don't hear nearly as much flak hitting Springfield as I do with these others. (This is not meant as a bash as I have no experience with any of these - it's only my observations in my research!)

I seem to run across very good reviews of Springfields 1911s all around and I have been advised that Springfield has top notch customer service for when their guns do have a hiccup.

What do you all think about the Springfield Loaded? Anything I should be aware of with them in particular or with the company? It's very hard for a newbie to 1911s to know which (affordable) brand to pick. Thanks to everyone for advice.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guns, I had a SS Loaded, gave it to my brother. ( didn't expect to live so long) Be aware the "parked" finish requires more care. Check out 1911forum.com , do a little search. You see a "parked" finish, is never actually finished. It will continue to absorb oil. That's a good thing , it really is more durable than blue. You just got to keep a thin coat of oil on it. If you don't want to put in the time to care for it , I suggest the SS model.JMO.

After doing a crazy amount of researching and gun shop visiting, I think I have just about settled on what I'm going to get. Originally I was aiming for something like a SA GI45, but I really like the better options that the Loaded has.

The model# I'm looking at is PX9109LP, Parkerized Loaded. The prices I keep seeing are $750-850.

After looking at a few other brands such as Kimber, I just couldn't help but be discouraged by the number of people who have mentioned how many finniky little problems they come with in the last few years. My best gun friend has two and both have taken a lot of work to get them right, on top of the not so cheap price tag he paid for them. I also checked out Taurus, which seemed to have the best features for the money. But I have read enough about the customer service + warranty horror stories to leave that one alone. I have read a lot of reviews about people who love their Kimbers and Tauri. I just don't hear nearly as much flak hitting Springfield as I do with these others. (This is not meant as a bash as I have no experience with any of these - it's only my observations in my research!)

I seem to run across very good reviews of Springfields 1911s all around and I have been advised that Springfield has top notch customer service for when their guns do have a hiccup.

What do you all think about the Springfield Loaded? Anything I should be aware of with them in particular or with the company? It's very hard for a newbie to 1911s to know which (affordable) brand to pick. Thanks to everyone for advice.

You can't go wrong with a Springfield 1911.

Is it the best buy for the money? It really boils down to what you like. I like my Kimbers, but they are older (not produced in the last two years). The Taurus for the price is tempting ,but I have no experience with their 1911's, however I think they are making some quality stuff now.

I love my SA milspec. SA has good customer service and a great custom shop.

Mine is accurate, reliable, feeds anything, etc. I've had it about a year and have only put 600-800 rounds thru it. I have used several different brand mags. I can't think of any problems with it. It is more accurate than me.

They are hard to beat for the money. I have a SS Loaded model that I have been thrashing in IDPA for four years and thousands of rounds. The only part that has broken was the firing pin spring and the gun has been very reliable. I don't think you'll go wrong with a Springfield 1911.

Go for it! I have owned a Lightweight Loaded Operator for about a year and really like it. Traded for it used and it had been abused a little but cleaned up perfectly. Feeds anything put into it and is very accurate. The only issue I ever had was a weak mag spring. A new one cured that.:up:

Great guns, I had a SS Loaded, gave it to my brother. ( didn't expect to live so long) Be aware the "parked" finish requires more care. Check out 1911forum.com , do a little search. You see a "parked" finish, is never actually finished. It will continue to absorb oil. That's a good thing , it really is more durable than blue. You just got to keep a thin coat of oil on it. If you don't want to put in the time to care for it , I suggest the SS model.JMO.

I just purchased the loaded parkerized model about 3 weeks ago. I am really liking this gun...had bad experiences with other manufacturer's 1911's, but this one is fantastic. As for the parkarized finish, I did some reading and found that what was said in this previous post is pretty much right on. I have heard it likened to seasoning an iron skillet. I am using a thin coat of grease for most of the bearing/rubbing surfaces in the gun and have been rubbing the excess from my hands all over the exterior of this fine weapon. Then, I wipe off any excess with my silicone rag. I am assuming that after doing this for a few years it will "season" it adequately. I also read where very old 1911's used to be made this way and then packed in cosmoline and brown paper, and then stored in a warehouse for a few months...the warehouse would usually get very hot during the summers and the grease would do it's trick on the parkarizing. I am not necessarily a proponent of putting the gun parts in an oven at low temps for a few hours as I have seen suggested on other forums. But, if I keep it oiled/lubed for a few years I'm hoping to get the same effect. As for shooting, it points naturally and is surprisingly accurate. I love the tritium night sights. I did purchase a different magazine, which I expect will be much more reliable...a Wilson Combat 8-round in blue with a slim base pad. Looks good and I get an extra round of powerful .45 ammo. This gun is a winner! B

Guest PatriotCSA
I just purchased the loaded parkerized model about 3 weeks ago. I am really liking this gun...had bad experiences with other manufacturer's 1911's, but this one is fantastic. As for the parkarized finish, I did some reading and found that what was said in this previous post is pretty much right on. I have heard it likened to seasoning an iron skillet. I am using a thin coat of grease for most of the bearing/rubbing surfaces in the gun and have been rubbing the excess from my hands all over the exterior of this fine weapon. Then, I wipe off any excess with my silicone rag. I am assuming that after doing this for a few years it will "season" it adequately. I also read where very old 1911's used to be made this way and then packed in cosmoline and brown paper, and then stored in a warehouse for a few months...the warehouse would usually get very hot during the summers and the grease would do it's trick on the parkarizing. I am not necessarily a proponent of putting the gun parts in an oven at low temps for a few hours as I have seen suggested on other forums. But, if I keep it oiled/lubed for a few years I'm hoping to get the same effect. As for shooting, it points naturally and is surprisingly accurate. I love the tritium night sights. I did purchase a different magazine, which I expect will be much more reliable...a Wilson Combat 8-round in blue with a slim base pad. Looks good and I get an extra round of powerful .45 ammo. This gun is a winner! B

Excellent, thanks for letting me know how it worked for you. I will also be getting a few Wilson Combat mags for mine.

Excellent, thanks for letting me know how it worked for you. I will also be getting a few Wilson Combat mags for mine.
When ya go to buy mags, you got to check out Tripp's Cobra Mags. Many consider them the very best. It's what the AZ. state police use. I've got 3 and even tho they're not cheap (32 bucks) about the same price as Wilson's, I wouldn't take 50 bucks a piece for mine. Oh yeah, get the second gen. ones. Edited by Ae-35
spelling
  • 2 weeks later...