Question

Guest benchpresspower

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the information given by the OP, is there any legal options to keep the MP40? Or just legal options to get rid of it without getting in trouble with BATFE?

No, there is no way the OP will be able to legally keep the MP40. (if it's not on the NFA registry)

That we should have to hide such a thing! I mean we're talking about a fully auto that's so old it doesn't have papers. So someone needs to get some papers, and the feds need to give him his papers, if eligible. This reeks of HUGE government meddling. Isn't there some sort of grandfathering thing allowed after a background check? Nobody's answered my questions about what the deal is. Not having a class III, nor expecting to need one, I'm not schooled on the ins/outs on this.

While I agree the NFA sucks, keep in mind that the owner (or the family) of this firearm needs to pissed at himself/themselves more than anyone.

There WAS an amnesty.

The government DID offer to give the appropriate papers out to those that applied. The owner failed to do their part, which not only cost them a ton of money (that MP40 would be worth 20k with the correct Form 4) but put them in a compromising situation which could land someone in prison (not jail, but Federal pound you in the butt prison)

Odds of the 1986 law changing? Would a gun-loving president and congress do that?

Not going to happen.

:(Rubberbands are cheaper, anyway!:D

Im not the Mod for this sub-forum, but I will go ahead and warn you that references like this are not good for you, TGO, or this sub-forum.

This sub-forum is not a place to come and bitch about how much the ATF or the NFA sucks.

Its also not a place to come make suggetions about rubberbands or bump firing.

This IS a place to discuss the legal ownership options for people interested in items currently managed under the NFA.

The OP needs to get competent PROFESSIONAL assistance with this. In addition to the historical and family significance of this firearm, a legal MP-40 can be worth well over $10,000.

An unregistered MP-40 is contraband unless:

1) It is in the National Firearms Registry. This can be proven by finding ANY proof of prior registration, or calling ATF and asking.

2) There is proof of prior legal ownership. If the serviceman brought it back from WWII, then he may have had paperwork permitting him to do this. This type of paperwork has been accepted as proof of prior legal ownership.

Very few attorneys are competent to deal with the ATF on machine guns. This is the wrong place to ask. Go to Subguns.com and ask on the NFA forum.

The OP needs to get competent PROFESSIONAL assistance with this. In addition to the historical and family significance of this firearm, a legal MP-40 can be worth well over $10,000.

An unregistered MP-40 is contraband unless:

1) It is in the National Firearms Registry. This can be proven by finding ANY proof of prior registration, or calling ATF and asking.

2) There is proof of prior legal ownership. If the serviceman brought it back from WWII, then he may have had paperwork permitting him to do this. This type of paperwork has been accepted as proof of prior legal ownership.

Very few attorneys are competent to deal with the ATF on machine guns. This is the wrong place to ask. Go to Subguns.com and ask on the NFA forum.

Yeah, we are all complete tools here, and dont know what we are talking about. :D

Guest jackdm3

"While I agree the NFA sucks, keep in mind that the owner (or the family) of this firearm needs to pissed at himself/themselves more than anyone.

There WAS an amnesty.

The government DID offer to give the appropriate papers out to those that applied. The owner failed to do their part, which not only cost them a ton of money (that MP40 would be worth 20k with the correct Form 4) but put them in a compromising situation which could land someone in prison (not jail, but Federal pound you in the butt prison)"

I don't believe the family is to be punished because they didn't file considering that not everyone is always privy to changes in firearms law. I think Granny or whomever could have genuinely and easily overlooked that article in the 1986 papers when they're dealing with more pressing matters.

"Not going to happen."

I never understand this sort of thinking. Laws are overturned and modified. The Constitution was supposed to be iron clad, but you see where we are now. And the ten round mag was nullified, was it not?

"Im not the Mod for this sub-forum, but I will go ahead and warn you that references like this are not good for you, TGO, or this sub-forum.

This sub-forum is not a place to come and bitch about how much the ATF or the NFA sucks.

Its also not a place to come make suggetions about rubberbands or bump firing.

This IS a place to discuss the legal ownership options for people interested in items currently managed under the NFA."

YouTube doesn't allow illegal activity, yet all those videos showing bump-firing are there right now. Where are the stories about incarcerations that followed such nefarious behavior? Anyone here ever tried to reach 100MPH on public roads at least once? Made/shot a tater gun? The newness of all of these devices usually wears off in a quick.

Last I checked, TGO was about people learning more about arms than we knew before. As of now, the title of this sub-forum says NOTHING about observing any legal ramifications for inquisitive discourse. Is that what the title means by "Suppressors"? The mods could have and still can black out my statements and even my quotes inside your quotes, but I think since it's been over 14 hours since you questioned my tactics, and they most assuredly have read all of the posts, maybe they think this is all part of "Discussion of Class III topics."

Edited by jackdm3
YouTube doesn't allow illegal activity, yet all those videos showing bump-firing are there right now. Where are the stories about incarcerations that followed such nefarious behavior? Anyone here ever tried to reach 100MPH on public roads at least once? Made/shot a tater gun? The newness of all of these devices usually wears off in a quick.

Last I checked, TGO was about people learning more about arms than we knew before. As of now, the title of this sub-forum says NOTHING about observing any legal ramifications for inquisitive discourse.

Jack this is not youtube. TGO is a place to learn about firearms, but it is not a place to lead someone down a road that could land them in prison. The consequences of keeping an unregistered machine gun were clearly stated in the thread. That dosent mean lets figure out how to skirt the law. Any illegal suggestions/advice will not be tolerated in this forum. If you would like to discuss this matter further send me a pm.

The OP's question has been answered and the thread has went off course far enough so I'm closing it.

Edited by Jasongar8