Working for a company banning weapons on property.

I work for an employer in Nashville, that has a ban of all weapons on there property. Being that they are accross from the airport there is nowhere to park other then in the parking lot. What make the whole thing worse is that the tactical situation of the building is insane. All the doors are glass, there are 7 entrances to the building (none monitored) and you just have to "badge in" to walk in the door. Way to easy to just walk in and do harm. Yet I can't protect myself there.

And yes I know that there are other places to work, but in this economy it would insane to leave and find something (maybe) that would pay me half of what I make now.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3
I work for an employer in Nashville, that has a ban of all weapons on there property. Being that they are accross from the airport there is nowhere to park other then in the parking lot. What make the whole thing worse is that the tactical situation of the building is insane. All the doors are glass, there are 7 entrances to the building (none monitored) and you just have to "badge in" to walk in the door. Way to easy to just walk in and do harm. Yet I can't protect myself there.

And yes I know that there are other places to work, but in this economy it would insane to leave and find something (maybe) that would pay me half of what I make now.

I would find or create an IED within the office that escapes the casual observer.

Improvised Engagement Device.

I have never worked some where that banned guns and don't see it happening anytime soon. If I did, I would likely keep a small gun on me anyway. Yeah if I ever needed it at work, I could get canned. Better to be unemployed than dead. But I don't have to worry about any of that, I can talk guns to anyone I work with and my boss has a collection of over 400 guns.

I've had jobs where they have key cards to get into the building and still carried when i felt the need. Those key cards don't do too much good when there are glass doors and unarmed guards with walkie talkies. Small handguns, pocket holsters, jackets, and ankle holsters help in these circumstances. I've done it many times and will continue to when I have to protect myself. These companies would rather an employee get hurt/killed walking to their car at night and pay life insurance than an employee defending himself....the company does what it thinks it needs to do and I do what I think I need to do and keep it to myself. If I have to use it...at that point I'd be better off than hurt or dead...so company won't do anything for me anyway.

Lowbud is right - at least for now. In a right to work state, you have no rights or expectations of privacy when working for a private company. It's either play by their rules, or find somewhere else to work.

The fact that Tennessee is a Right to Work state has absolutely no relation to the the statements made above. A Right to Work state is one that gives employees the choice when working in a profession or at a company which has a union the Right to Choose between joining or not joining the union. There are 22 RTW states. Even in a RTW state there are exceptions this, for instance if you work at a project labor agreement site on a federal installation, if you work for railroads or are a pilot, you still might not have a choice.

Perhaps you meant to say Tennessee is an Employment at Will state, which nearly every state in the country is a EaW state.

Edited by Warbird
I don't like the right to work thing. A company should have a valid reason to fire someone.

Then they would have to argue it in court; they don’t want that. It is not “Right to work†that just means that joining a union can’t be a condition of employment. It is “Employment at Will†and simply means that unless you have an employment contract either party can terminate without penalty.

Most companies don’t give reasons anymore when they let you go; they don’t need to. I’m not in a union and don’t want to be, but if you want your job protected; join a union. That is what they do; protect your job when you have pissed the boss off.

Tennessee puts business above the worker. That’s why you can’t sue your employer in Tennessee if you get hurt at work. It’s also (IMO) why you will never see legislation that allows you to carry in posted businesses.

I don't like the right to work thing. A company should have a valid reason to fire someone.

So what do you define as a "valid" reason? Many companies would say a firearm in your car would be valid while most of us would say it's not. Listen, while I may not like people getting fired for having a firearm on company property, I am glad that I live in a free state and country that does allow it. Yeah, in some ways it sucks that stupid people can be, well, stupid. However, I love the fact that we have the freedom there. Remember, a job is not a right.

The only thing an employer owes you for is the time you work for them. A good employer will understand their employees needs and desires and try to meet them if they feel the employees are worth that. Personally, that is why I started my own company, because I don't want to work for someone else in that way.

Matthew

This is obviously a contentious issue. What I want to comment on is the level of civility and intelligence (mostly :biglol: ) with which it has been discussed. After reading forums on the Chattanooga and Memphis newspapers sites, I can only conclude that members here are superior in both intellect and debating skills but then we knew that. It also proves that gunowners are not crazy yahoos!

Then they would have to argue it in court; they don’t want that. It is not “Right to work†that just means that joining a union can’t be a condition of employment. It is “Employment at Will†and simply means that unless you have an employment contract either party can terminate without penalty.

Most companies don’t give reasons anymore when they let you go; they don’t need to. I’m not in a union and don’t want to be, but if you want your job protected; join a union. That is what they do; protect your job when you have pissed the boss off.

Tennessee puts business above the worker. That’s why you can’t sue your employer in Tennessee if you get hurt at work. It’s also (IMO) why you will never see legislation that allows you to carry in posted businesses.

You should be able to sue if you get hurt at work. If I get injured at a factory, the employer should pay my medical expenses. A job should give a reason to fire someone, otherwise they can discriminate. An example is I went to get a job awhile back, and I had long hair. The woman said I needed a "man's haircut", I was like if women can work here with long hair, men should be able to as well.

The job should be about my ability to do the work well, not matters of little importance. The business should not be above the worker.

I have always believed that a job should have a reason for firing someone. If I start coming in late, or drunk, or whatever, sure then fire me. I hate that some greedy corporation can fire someone for no reason. I have actually had several jobs where I came in, and my boss was like "your services are no longer required". They wouldn't give me a reason. It's like those greedy corporate capitalists can grind people into dust, and you just have to accept it.

You should be able to sue if you get hurt at work. If I get injured at a factory, the employer should pay my medical expenses. A job should give a reason to fire someone, otherwise they can discriminate. An example is I went to get a job awhile back, and I had long hair. The woman said I needed a "man's haircut", I was like if women can work here with long hair, men should be able to as well.

The job should be about my ability to do the work well, not matters of little importance. The business should not be above the worker.

I have always believed that a job should have a reason for firing someone. If I start coming in late, or drunk, or whatever, sure then fire me. I hate that some greedy corporation can fire someone for no reason. I have actually had several jobs where I came in, and my boss was like "your services are no longer required". They wouldn't give me a reason. It's like those greedy corporate capitalists can grind people into dust, and you just have to accept it.

See, I would not hire someone like you. It's my business and it's supposed to be a free country. The whole can't discriminate against people thing is a bunch of crap. I should be able to chose who I want to associate with and you have no right to the job I am offering. If someone won't hire someone because they are black, or gay, or whatever, then it's their issue. Do you really want to work under someone who have been forced to hire someone? No, let them just hire who they want and find a job that you are going to have a better boss. There's this crap about everyone being able to fit in with each other. That's crap. I am NEVER going to fit in with the liberal mindset. I will a little in my job because we tend to not talk politics while on the job and off, but me living among the crazies in the north east or west ain't gonna happen.

Matthew

See, I would not hire someone like you. It's my business and it's supposed to be a free country. The whole can't discriminate against people thing is a bunch of crap. I should be able to chose who I want to associate with and you have no right to the job I am offering. If someone won't hire someone because they are black, or gay, or whatever, then it's their issue. Do you really want to work under someone who have been forced to hire someone? No, let them just hire who they want and find a job that you are going to have a better boss. There's this crap about everyone being able to fit in with each other. That's crap. I am NEVER going to fit in with the liberal mindset. I will a little in my job because we tend to not talk politics while on the job and off, but me living among the crazies in the north east or west ain't gonna happen.

Matthew

I think you misunderstood. I was stating that their ability to do the job should be of paramount importance. If someone is black or gay or has long hair or any other reason, that shouldn't matter if they are good at the job they are being hired for.

I think you misunderstood. I was stating that their ability to do the job should be of paramount importance. If someone is black or gay or has long hair or any other reason, that shouldn't matter if they are good at the job they are being hired for.

But does it? In my business I tend to hire people who are not only good at what they do, but that I get along with. My job can be VERY long hours and if I am working around people who are good at their job, but irritate me, they've made my life harder and I tend to not do a good of a job then. But it does depend on the person. I've worked with black people who I would gladly work again with ANY day. There are some that while they did an acceptable job, their attitude (let's say, "urban", which is totally not me) made me never want to work with them again. The same has happened for me with gay people, white people, hippies, and people just generally more annoying than Pee-wee Herman.

While I do think you SHOULD have a good reason, that reason can be VERY subjective, and I want to live in a place where I can have the freedom to run MY business the way I see fit. If I want to fire someone for no reason, I should have the freedom to do that. Would I fire someone for no reason? No, but that's not the point.

The whole issue comes down to trying to make life "fair." The idea we can make life fair for everyone is a fallacy that politicians push on the stupid. You can't make life fair and no matter how many laws you pass, it ain't going to change. The second people realize that, the better this world will be. People will stop wallowing in their self pity and actually make life fairer for themselves BECAUSE they will make their own way instead of waiting on crooks in Washington to screw them on another promise that they absolutely have no way to fulfill.

Matthew

But does it? In my business I tend to hire people who are not only good at what they do, but that I get along with. My job can be VERY long hours and if I am working around people who are good at their job, but irritate me, they've made my life harder and I tend to not do a good of a job then. But it does depend on the person. I've worked with black people who I would gladly work again with ANY day. There are some that while they did an acceptable job, their attitude (let's say, "urban", which is totally not me) made me never want to work with them again. The same has happened for me with gay people, white people, hippies, and people just generally more annoying than Pee-wee Herman.

While I do think you SHOULD have a good reason, that reason can be VERY subjective, and I want to live in a place where I can have the freedom to run MY business the way I see fit. If I want to fire someone for no reason, I should have the freedom to do that. Would I fire someone for no reason? No, but that's not the point.

The whole issue comes down to trying to make life "fair." The idea we can make life fair for everyone is a fallacy that politicians push on the stupid. You can't make life fair and no matter how many laws you pass, it ain't going to change. The second people realize that, the better this world will be. People will stop wallowing in their self pity and actually make life fairer for themselves BECAUSE they will make their own way instead of waiting on crooks in Washington to screw them on another promise that they absolutely have no way to fulfill.

Matthew

I see your point in a way, and I am not asking to make life "fair". If I get fired from a job, I would like to know why. This is because if I am doing something wrong, knowing what it was can help me correct it. If I get fired for no reason, I would justifiably get pissed off about it.

I worked for a printer refurbishing company in Lavergne awhile back. The dress code was pretty slack, as we did not work for the public. A long time ago, I was a "skater kid", I wore the baggy pants, wallet chain, had my hair long on top and shaved on the sides and back. No one cared. I worked there for 4 months, and one day I got fired by a manager for the way I looked. Stupid stuff like that has no place in a job, especially if they say there isn't really a dresscode. I dress "normally" now, but being judged by idiots, especially idiots in a position of power, grows old very quickly.

Edited by ab28
I see your point in a way, and I am not asking to make life "fair". If I get fired from a job, I would like to know why. This is because if I am doing something wrong, knowing what it was can help me correct it. If I get fired for no reason, I would justifiably get pissed off about it.

I worked for a printer refurbishing company in Lavergne awhile back. The dress code was pretty slack, as we did not work for the public. A long time ago, I was a "skater kid", I wore the baggy pants, wallet chain, had my hair long on top and shaved on the sides and back. No one cared. I worked there for 4 months, and one day I got fired by a manager for the way I looked. Stupid stuff like that has no place in a job, especially if they say there isn't really a dresscode. I dress "normally" now, but being judged by idiots, especially idiots in a position of power, grows old very quickly.

When were you in the military and what branch?

This is obviously a contentious issue. What I want to comment on is the level of civility and intelligence (mostly :mad: ) with which it has been discussed. After reading forums on the Chattanooga and Memphis newspapers sites, I can only conclude that members here are superior in both intellect and debating skills but then we knew that. It also proves that gunowners are not crazy yahoos!

+1, That's why I like this forum.

Guest 10mm4me
We encourage CCW at work for managers. Too many crazy folks out there. However, if any of them carried a .22, we might beat them with a large stick. Be careful, you'll put your eye out with that thing. I guess a P22 is more concealable than a Red Ryder, but has about the same stopping power.

I hope you are kidding. More people are killed each year w/.22 long rifle than any other round.