Working for a company banning weapons on property.

I have wondered about this....In my company's orientation booklet it says no firearms on premises but none of the locations are posted....so...some knucklehead can come in a shoot me but I cant have something to defend myself with?

Of course he can't shoot you. That would be against the law.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My company has a no gun policy too. I'm sure it came from Risk Management, Legal, or both. Doubt that it has anything to do with rights. It's like random drug testing (which we don't have). Policies like that can drop insurance rates and minimize exposure to lawsuits.

I don't like it, but I do understand why it's there.

Guest jackdm3

I don't like it, but I do understand why it's there.

That's the kind of thinking that starts controversy for me when I say something like that around here.

My employers also have a policy against. In fact, the policy forbids even having them in our vehicles. The policy doesn't really matter, though, because I work at a satellite campus of a private college. That means that the state of Tennessee has decided that I and my co-workers do not have the same rights to self defense as other citizens of this state simply because of where we are employed. Since I don't want to risk even having a firearm locked in my vehicle on campus, not wanting to break state law means I get to make the trip from home to work and back unarmed, as well - despite having submitted to the background checks and paid the fees required to get that permit that says I can legally excercise my 'rights'.

You do know that if you have the ammo separate from the gun while in the parking lot, that it's perfectly legal for you have the gun in your car. Heck, technically by TN state law you could open carry an empty gun inside a school--not that I suggest you do that:)

Matthew

Guest jackdm3
You do know that if you have the ammo separate from the gun while in the parking lot, that it's perfectly legal for you have the gun in your car. Heck, technically by TN state law you could open carry an empty gun inside a school--not that I suggest you do that:)

Matthew

:D:popcorn::popcorn:

Matthew

Not sidetrack the thread but, I don't think that is right....

39-17-1309©(1) clearly says... "It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution......"

Doesn't mention loaded or not...also this section of the law doesn't even mention the "intent to go armed" part that is in sub-section (:D

In the second half of it it does provide an exception if the firearm is in a private vehicle, but not on your person anywhere outside of the vehicle.....

"...... It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property"

Edited by Fallguy

My companies policy is no firearms on the property.... which means nothing left in your car which is still 100 yards away from the building. Not only am I not supposed to have them on me or in my car while at work but they list in the corporate handbook that we can not even bring them onto property while off the clock even if shopping ! I will say I may or may not have broke that rule once or twice..... or everyday.

You do what you have to do to stay safe. Most companies do not care about the safety of their employees...so you just have to take care of yourself and if that means carrying well...keep it quiet and concealed.

my family owns our own business in Nashville we have a Drain Cleaning service, we make house calls and frequent some apartment complexes I would not let my dog( don't get me wrong i love my dog) lets say cat (don't like cats) to go to. but he its our job we have to go. we have a turn a blind eye policy on guns, our insurance doesn't allow our employees to have them while working but, trust me come to our office and you'd be likely to see a few guns laying around or on hips, i have no idea if we have employees carrying or not but i would feel safe if they did

I would carry anyway, get a good small lcp or something and a nice conceal holster. I started this thread as kinda a joke about my company and a .22 but seriously it's not worth losing your life over a kid who gets a bad grade or is poked fun at and then snaps. If something ever did happen you would be a hero and your book deal would supercede your loss in wages hahahahaha

To me, this is a 'weigh the risks' type of situation. Yeah, I could probably get away with carrying one of my little BUGs (I have a KelTec P3AT that is easy to hide and a NAA mini in .22 WMR that is even easier to hide.) However, I believe that if I were carrying at work every day the likelihood of my getting 'made', as unlikely as it may be, would still be greater than the likelihood that A) I will need the firearm at work - or :D that a firearm small enough to completely hide out carried in a location where I would know it would never be seen (Smart Carry, for instance) would be of much use against a nutjob bent on shooting up the place with a full-sized handgun or long gun. Getting caught would mean not only losing my job but would also likely mean losing my HCP (so that it would no longer be legal for me to carry anywhere, effectively increasing the likelihood that I would be in a situation where I need a firearm and don't have one) and probably paying fines and doing jail time.

Getting caught might even impact my ability to buy or own guns, at all, and would mean having a criminal record that could negatively impact my ability to get another job.

"...... It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property"

I have seen other threads discussing this portion of the law, before. There is a lot of back and forth over what the phrases 'possess a firearm' and 'private vehicle operated by the adult' legally mean. Some interpret the law as you have, which seems reasonable. However, others interpret the law to mean that it is only legal if you retain the weapon on or near your person (possess the weapon) and you remain in the vehicle with the weapon. This interpretation says that if you are not in the vehicle then you can, therefore, not be 'operating' the vehicle and that if you are away from the vehicle while your firearm is in the vehicle then you are not in 'possession' of the firearm. Further, as the law makes no mention of 'loaded' or 'unloaded', whether or not you unload the firearm doesn't seem to matter.

The latter is the way my HCP instructor (whose wife is a public school teacher, so he has a personal interest in this) understood the law - saying that the intent of the law is to make it legal to drop off or pick up students, remaining behind the wheel of the vehicle while having the firearm in your possession. His example was that if, when picking up a student, a teacher came to the car and wanted to have an impromptu parent-teacher conference the only way to be legal would be to drive off of school property, take the weapon off, leave the weapon in the car and leave the car parked off of school property. He felt that leaving the firearm in the vehicle on school property would still be a violation of the law - as would handling the weapon while on school property, even if you were handling it in order to take it off and unload it.

Given our 'esteemed' A.G.'s opinion that a legal-to-carry park becomes illegal for carry if there happens to be a school-related function taking place there, I am hesitant to take a chance on which interpretation is correct. I do have to say that I like your interpretation better! I should probably contact the Department of Safety or other powers that be to get something in writing one way or the other. All in all, though, I would say that the law prohibiting carry on school property should be overturned on the basis of being unconstitutionally vague.

Edited by JAB

We had a no weapons policy at my former job that was in the handbook we had to sign. However there was the understanding between my boss (who had his HCP) and us with permits that we could and should carry daily.It came in handy when fired our shipping manger and he went ballistic. We had to call the police to take him off the property. It made us all breathe easier to know that had he taken it to the next level there were 6 of us in the front office carrying.

I don't know about anyone else but I will carry regardless. If it has to be smaller than I'm normally comfortable to prevent it from being discovered I'll do it. No policy is worth my wife loosing her husband.

I don't know about anyone else but I will carry regardless. If it has to be smaller than I'm normally comfortable to prevent it from being discovered I'll do it. No policy is worth my wife loosing her husband.

Just out of curiosity, though, would your take on it be any different if it were a LAW that you were violating, not just a company policy?

Guest Muttling

If you're carrying where your employer has specifically told you not to do so, isn't that considered tresspassing? (Not a serious crime with a serious sentence, but crime none the less.)

Kind of like carrying into an unposted store, being asked to come back without your weapon, and refusing.

As for me, I teach so carrying at school is a BIG no no. I do carry at my part time job, but there is no policy and the boss doesn't ask. I also conceal it extremely well and don't go showing it off or getting stupid.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest manofsteel

anyone know where this is or is it dead. this one is my petpee. i would like to see it passed. the company i work for is one of many that is fighting it.

I've heard from some local legislators that its not likely this one will surface in this session of the legislature. It is perhaps even more politically charged than the restaurants bill, and there are those who believe it would be better to wait for potentially better committee chairmanships to be established in the next legislature before a real push be mounted.