Deadly Force??

I understand deadly force is a defense if you are in fear of your life or serious bodily injury.

I am correct that you can use deadly force to prevent some felony such as robbery, rape etc?

Does it have to be armed robbery? or Am I corec that it can be by two persons etc etc.

Would like some clarity on the use of deadly force for mugging etc.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a person is in reasonable fear of grave bodily injury or death then you can counter that threat with lethal force.

You can also use lethal force to protect a third party if THEY are in reasonable fear of grave bodily injury or death.

Basicly you need to ask yourself this question....."If I do not shoot this person (or persons) is someone going to die or be crippled?" If the answer is YES then do it. If someone is NOT about to be either killed or crippled by the perpetrator's actions then you probably should not be shooting them....

Please read In the Gravest Extreme by M. Ayoob. It covers alot of these kinds of scenarios. The book was written by a man who has spent his life testifying in courtrooms on cases involving self defense shootings. You will find advice on almost any shoot/no-shoot scenarios from someone who has seen the ramifications in the courts first hand.

I think this book is required reading for anyone that believes they may use a gun in self defense.

You have to be careful with anything where you are the third party. You don't know all the details of the situation. The one you shoot could have been the victim defending themselves and you walked in at the wrong time. Could be an undercover officer. You have to decide if you willing to bet you're future on your decision. If its my wife or loved one, you can bet it's worth it. If it's a stranger I'm not so sure. (unless it's an obvious rape). That sounds harsh but me being in prison because I made the wrong choice is not very good for my wife or kids. Or accidentally kill the wrong person or a police officer. That would be tough to live with

Please read In the Gravest Extreme by M. Ayoob. It covers alot of these kinds of scenarios. The book was written by a man who has spent his life testifying in courtrooms on cases involving self defense shootings. You will find advice on almost any shoot/no-shoot scenarios from someone who has seen the ramifications in the courts first hand.

I think this book is required reading for anyone that believes they may use a gun in self defense.

A+++ on this book. It should be purchased as soon as you walk out of your CCW class

Guest 270win

Have you taken the Tennessee handgun carry permit class? If not you will probably learn a lot. I learned a lot in my Arkansas CHL class.

In Arkansas (Yes I know not TN but giving you some help) we learned that we could use deadly force to stop burglary, arson, and a forcible felony. A forcible felony would be something like rape, robbery, kidnapping, felony aggravated assault (someone with say a bat), attempted murder. This could be someone committing a forcible felony on you or someone else. It is your call when you would intervene in a third party situation.

Tennessee law is basically the same, except it is worded differently than Arkansas. It does not give burglary and arson as reasons to use deadly force. TN words it as 'forcible entry' into a building...a tad different than burglary or arson. The 'forcible entry' gives you reason to fear for your life/bodily harm in TN. In Arkansas, burglary and arson themselves are given as reasons to use deadly force to stop....nothing else like fear for life/bodily harm.

As others have said, the only legal way to use deadly force is if in you are in reasonable fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm 39-11-611(:screwy:(2) or to defend a third person if under the circumstances as your reasonably believe them to be the third person is in fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm 39-11-612.

What other actions that are occurring or not occurring may help you, the LEO, the DA, the judge or the jury determine if you reasonably had that fear but other than that don't impact directly on whether it is a shoot/don't shoot situation.

Yeah, and it stays expensive.

I don't think it's worth it, either.

- OS

There's this place you can go in town, it's like a great big building full of popular books. You can talk to the people there and they will give you a special card and let you borrow a book for a certain amount of time FOR FREE! I know it's unbelievable, but it's real, I tell you. If only I could remember what it's called.

:rolleyes:

There's this place you can go in town, it's like a great big building full of popular books. You can talk to the people there and they will give you a special card and let you borrow a book for a certain amount of time FOR FREE! I know it's unbelievable, but it's real, I tell you. If only I could remember what it's called.

:rolleyes:

Liberry?

:D

It's not in Nashville's current library catalog in case anyone is wondering.

Yeah, and it stays expensive.

I don't think it's worth it, either.

- OS

Yeah, I wouldn't buy it just because he's a ****ing idiot.

As soon as he stops telling me if I pull my pants up, I'll get shot, then I'll think about it :D

Yeah, I wouldn't buy it just because he's a ****ing idiot.

As soon as he stops telling me if I pull my pants up, I'll get shot, then I'll think about it :D

I learn from idiots all the time. He doesn't have to be right about everything. I have a pretty good commentary filter. Keeps me from getting any crazier ;)

It's 13 bucks on Amazon.

Plus shipping, unless you bought something else.

You'll almost certainly be disappointed.

It's so dated, it's like a lecture from Sgt. Friday.

On the plus side, you can read it in about 2 hours tops.

- OS

Plus shipping, unless you bought something else.

You'll almost certainly be disappointed.

It's so dated, it's like a lecture from Sgt. Friday.

On the plus side, you can read it in about 2 hours tops.

- OS

Yep, another 4 or so for shipping. Chuck Hawks also puts it in the must read category, not that I agree with Chuck that much on handgun carry, or handguns in general.

I've read some of Ayoob's stuff, so I don't have big expectations.

The book is good for people that have just started thinking about using a firearm for personal protection. There are a variety of real life cases in there that can give most new gun owners a way to think about how and when to use your gun for defense and what the ramifications of those actions may be. It can answer alot of the basic questions that people have and back it up with real life cases to hammer the point home. It is a great book for new shooters.

The book is good for people that have just started thinking about using a firearm for personal protection. There are a variety of real life cases in there that can give most new gun owners a way to think about how and when to use your gun for defense and what the ramifications of those actions may be. It can answer alot of the basic questions that people have and back it up with real life cases to hammer the point home. It is a great book for new shooters.

That's what I figured. I'm not a new shooter. I've owned handguns since the '70's. I know there is a lot of new folks out there.