4th Saiga Conversion - Just finished!

Smith

Don't know if it was because this was my fourth or I just got the perfect Saiga but finished my conversion tonight in under an hour with a 18v hand drill, Dremel, flat blade screwdriver and a couple punches! still need to paint the underside, but that's no big deal.

My first 3 all had something that gave me fits. One the buttstock was darn near impossible to get out. Had to carve around the top tang and screw to get it out. Took near an hour just on that one part. My second one I had to cut the PG nut hole. My first one had to cut the PG nut hole and the trigger hole. aslo cut the rear tang for an ACE adapter. That was torture!

This one was easy as pie. I also got a bonus I had overlooked. It is a dimpled version! YEAH! doesn't have the third X, but I'll survive.:D

Anyway, anyone considering doing this, now is the time. Prices are back to normal ..... for 2 years ago at $300!:koolaid:

Now if i can only find a Tantal folding stock to put on it!;). Found one! Just waiting to get here.

GEDC0008.jpg

GEDC0009.jpg

GEDC0010.jpg

GEDC0007.jpg

Edited by Smith
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jimdigriz
Now if i can only find a Tantal folding stock to put on it!

If you are right-handed and want a better cheekweld, try hunting for a Romanian push button folder instead. This pic makes clear why:

DSC03679.jpg

(When folded out, the Romy push button version is offset to the left compared to the others).

Congrats. I just did my second one. Getting the welded plate off the bottom of teh receiver was kind of a PITA, but everything else was smooth.

I've found the easiest way is to Dremel the 3 rivet heads off then use a flat blade screwdriver to pry the plate up. Seem to come off pretty easy that way. Of course I don't try to reuse the trigger guard either. After that comes off i use a 1/8th drill bit and dril down the rivet post and finish them off with a punch.

I've found the easiest way is to Dremel the 3 rivet heads off then use a flat blade screwdriver to pry the plate up. Seem to come off pretty easy that way. Of course I don't try to reuse the trigger guard either. After that comes off i use a 1/8th drill bit and dril down the rivet post and finish them off with a punch.

That's pretty-much what I ended up doing. Of course, 2 of the rivets were no problem, but the 3rd one caused some trouble. I did reuse the triggerguard and found that if I bent it out a little, I could force it under the mag release catch..and it stays in place because of the tension. It beats trying to put a screw under the catch to hold it.

That's pretty-much what I ended up doing. Of course, 2 of the rivets were no problem, but the 3rd one caused some trouble. I did reuse the triggerguard and found that if I bent it out a little, I could force it under the mag release catch..and it stays in place because of the tension. It beats trying to put a screw under the catch to hold it.

yeah' if you reuse the tg it ca be a lot harder. The bolt on trigger guards are well worth the $18 they cost. I use the old trigger guard as leverage for breaking off the plate.

Carolinashooterssupply.com has a few different options. A must buy for coversions!

I posted a break down on another thread, but a basic DIY conversion will cost $300 for the rifle and 118 for parts. So $418. That's about as low as you can get. If go for the front end you will more than likely need to pay someone about $320 for parts and labor.

Look down at post #7 for more detail.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/long-guns/36523-things-we-need-know-about-saiga-conversions.html

Guest mrl4ng

Ive got a tantal folder on my saiga 12...

Its pretty nice...I need to get it refinished though. The grey looks ungainly with the rest of the gun.