Worst Handgun Range in TN - Stones River TWRA

Guest SpoonMan3

I think the range is for newer people to shooting and those that have had one or more "experience" with an unsafe act by other people. I don't like the attitude of a few RSO's, but I like the idea of safety they try to enforce. Hopefully I get a chance to try Owl Hollow and compare, but I have no issues taking my kids to Stones River.

Not necessarily only for new shooters. I have seen LEOs shooting there on several of my trips.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree with the OP. I went there ONE time, I got in trouble for showing up with a loaded handgun on my side. When I told the guy I have a permit he told me they don't recognize the state permit and made me go back to my truck and unload. If I hadn't been anxious to try out a new gun I would have just left then but I will never go back. They treat everyone like its their first time shooting.

Guest TnRebel
I'm glad to see ours in Montgomery County has not had any bad reviews. It must be the

best of the bunch of them. :poop:

I shot the range in Montgomery County , and had nothin but good experience , went with my son and spent all day .. Great bunch of people there.

I completely agree with the OP. I went there ONE time, I got in trouble for showing up with a loaded handgun on my side. When I told the guy I have a permit he told me they don't recognize the state permit and made me go back to my truck and unload. If I hadn't been anxious to try out a new gun I would have just left then but I will never go back. They treat everyone like its their first time shooting.

It's one of the published rules. Loaded guns on the firing line only. I left my carry gun in the truck. That rule doesn't bother me either. They're just trying to keep the place safe, not dis a permit holder.

Guest The Highlander

I was shooting at a TVA range last year when a guy tapped me on the back and told me to stop what I was doing. I tried to figure out what was wrong, thinking I had a problem and he had caught it before I got hurt.

Nope. Seems my targets were "too low" to the ground and were a problem. They were ok if I had them up higher like sitting on top of a box like the guy in the lane beside me, firing at about the same distance out.

Umm, ok.

I didn't try to figure it out either. Just packed up and left.

I was shooting at a TVA range last year when a guy tapped me on the back and told me to stop what I was doing. I tried to figure out what was wrong, thinking I had a problem and he had caught it before I got hurt.

Nope. Seems my targets were "too low" to the ground and were a problem. They were ok if I had them up higher like sitting on top of a box like the guy in the lane beside me, firing at about the same distance out.

Umm, ok.

I didn't try to figure it out either. Just packed up and left.

Maybe that angle would allow your bullets to clear the berm?

Guest The Highlander

Mike, good thought if I were shooting too HIGH.

We were both shooting at 15 yards with handguns. My target is basically on the ground, his were papers, taped to a box about 24" high. The only difference is that his rounds might be hitting the ground a few feet further back, and at a shallower angle, which could have arguably ricocheted easier than my rounds which were striking the ground at a steeper angle. Again, I was told to stop firing, he wasn't.

Beats me.

Guest Schulzie

For "The Highlander", we had a similar problem to shooting at targets too low at a range I belonged to when I was up in Indiana. People were shooting at targets on the ground, and a .308 round bounced up, cleared the backstop, and went into a house. It shut us down for a while, but after a redesign, and then new target holders, one for 100 yd, another height for 200 yd, the problem was solved.

Another range that was shut down when I was a kid was because some idiots put cans on top of the backstop. Not the brightest there, so it got shut down too.

As for being a permit carrier, that doesn't exclude you from safety check. I'm not trying say it shouldn't, but I've seen some scarry stuff from permit holders.

I don't enjoy the public range like Stone's River like I do the private ones, but I don't have access to one close by, so I make due with Stone's River. I don't go often, because I work during the week, and the weekends are busy. I also don't like shooting at just one target, because it's gone before it goes cold again if I'm using anything bigger than .22's. However, overall it is pretty well run, maintained and monitered. I've seen guys leave loaded guns pointed down range that get called out before they let us down range. I'm thankful for that. At least we have a range to use!

Mike, good thought if I were shooting too HIGH.

We were both shooting at 15 yards with handguns. My target is basically on the ground, his were papers, taped to a box about 24" high. The only difference is that his rounds might be hitting the ground a few feet further back, and at a shallower angle, which could have arguably ricocheted easier than my rounds which were striking the ground at a steeper angle. Again, I was told to stop firing, he wasn't.

Beats me.

May remain a mystery forever. :hijack: I would think that they would require all trajectories to be into the berm. Sounds like the other guys wasn't doing that either.

Guest The Highlander

Correct Mike. If all targets were required to be on an approved target stand, that would eliminate anything placed into the ground, like my spinners. And while I wouldn't like it, I could accept it.

However, my point is the imbecile couldn't quite grasp the fact that a paper target only maybe 18" higher than mine, at most, didn't really affect the trajectory. In fact, you could easily argue it was a more dangerous trajectory because of the shallower angle increasing the likelihood of a ricochet. Apparently those cardboard boxes will actually stop a bullet...I had no idea they were that strong!

You would have to see this particular range to understand, but there is no berm. All lanes from 2 yards to 100 yards, fire directly into the base of a 200' tall hill. I bet there are few ranges anywhere that have a "berm" that high! I've seen whitetail on top feeding while we were live firing.

Actually, a favorite target is a rock about 1/3 of the way up the hill, at about 225 yards. I enjoy plinking at it with handguns. It is no particular challenge with rifles, other than a .22lr.

Maybe they don't like spinners, or maybe you just encountered a dumba$$.

My goal is a range behind the house. Can't do that now... may accidentally hit that barking dog. :hijack:

I understand all the rules at Stones River, and put up with them because they accomplish something.

The last time I was at Stone's River, This fat ******* of a RO yelled at me for changing recoil springs in my 1911. Thinking that there was a approved place to perform such tasks, I asked "where do you want me to take it".

He yelled "take it home to work on it".

I am an approved RO in several venues with several different orgs. The safest state a gun can be in disassembled. I approve of pro-active range safety, but too many of the ROs at Stone's river have no common sense.

Edited by jaysouth
Guest SpoonMan3

The last time I was at Stone's River, This fat ******* of a RO yelled at me for changing recoil springs in my 1911. Thinking that there was a approved place to perform such tasks, I asked "where do you want me to take it".

Not suprising in the least.....Re-Donk-ulous

I am guessing that Jenny and many of the other RSO's were pushed around a little too much in 3rd grade and are looking for their chance to show a little authority. :wave:

PS: I wonder if Jenny knows there is a 150 something post thread about her on this site? :hyper:

Not suprising in the least.....Re-Donk-ulous

I am guessing that Jenny and many of the other RSO's were pushed around a little too much in 3rd grade and are looking for their chance to show a little authority. :wave:

PS: I wonder if Jenny knows there is a 150 something post thread about her on this site? :hyper:

So... this was all about Jenny?

I am an approved RO in several venues with several different orgs. The safest state a gun can be in disassembled. I approve of pro-active range safety, but too many of the ROs at Stone's river have no common sense.

I agree that the safest gun is a gun in pieces, but getting that gun in pieces is the dangerous part. (edit: only relatively dangerous. As in something a range that sees hundreds of users a weekend might need to worry about) We've all heard news stories where some poor soul gets himself shot while disassembling. For a busy public range, the safest place for your gun to be is in a case or pointed downrange. It's really not hard to comply with the rules and if you get a sharp word reminding you of something, just grin and shrug off the chip on your shoulder. I don't think I've read anybody complaining about being called an ugly name or anything...just "bitchy" tones of voice and other ghostly specters of insults. Well, except the Range Nazi, but he's old and crazy. And yelling? You're on a gun range with ear protection. Everybody yells at each other. I've seen them raise their voice a bit more, but I've never seen someone get their ass torn ragged by a RSO. I'm sure a few of them could truly scorch your eardrums if you wanted them to, though.

I have sympathy for the RSO's because I know what it's like to babysit a bunch of know it all know nothings. You may be the second coming of Jeff Cooper, but they have no way of knowing this until they've seen you a few times and get to know you. A HCP does not make you a safe shooter. Would you rather they take anybody who claims to be a veteran or weapon's expert at their word? "Oh, you were a SOG operator for 20+ years? Top secret missions!! Dude, totally, go set up your brand new Hi-Point with 40x scope on the far lane. You're loading that magazines backwards but I guess you know what you're doing. You don't need to follow the rules."

I agree that the safest gun is a gun in pieces, but getting that gun in pieces is the dangerous part. (edit: only relatively dangerous. As in something a range that sees hundreds of users a weekend might need to worry about) We've all heard news stories where some poor soul gets himself shot while disassembling. For a busy public range, the safest place for your gun to be is in a case or pointed downrange. It's really not hard to comply with the rules and if you get a sharp word reminding you of something, just grin and shrug off the chip on your shoulder. I don't think I've read anybody complaining about being called an ugly name or anything...just "bitchy" tones of voice and other ghostly specters of insults. Well, except the Range Nazi, but he's old and crazy. And yelling? You're on a gun range with ear protection. Everybody yells at each other. I've seen them raise their voice a bit more, but I've never seen someone get their ass torn ragged by a RSO. I'm sure a few of them could truly scorch your eardrums if you wanted them to, though.

I have sympathy for the RSO's because I know what it's like to babysit a bunch of know it all know nothings. You may be the second coming of Jeff Cooper, but they have no way of knowing this until they've seen you a few times and get to know you. A HCP does not make you a safe shooter. Would you rather they take anybody who claims to be a veteran or weapon's expert at their word? "Oh, you were a SOG operator for 20+ years? Top secret missions!! Dude, totally, go set up your brand new Hi-Point with 40x scope on the far lane. You're loading that magazines backwards but I guess you know what you're doing. You don't need to follow the rules."

I wonder how crabby most of us would be after a couple of volunteer Saturdays.

Are you implying that people who are griping should try volunteering to be a RSO? *gasp*

Stones River is close, inexpensive and safe. Works for me.

Next closest outdoor range is (was?) Owl Hollow. I haven't been back there since getting repeatedly muzzle-swept by an idiot and his kids who kept pointing their rifles perpendicular to the range, ie: at us. No supervision and nobody seemed to take it seriously when I asked them to cut it out.

I haven't been to the Cheatham range in quite some time, but I hear it's as bad or worse for safety.

I always volunteer my time and then take it out on others. :puke:

One can correct someone else without the appearance of demeaning them. Instruct the first time and chastize the second time seems reasonable to me. I have seen the RSO's resort to yelling at someone in the checking station without the convenient excuse of having to shout over the gunfire.

Some of them do make me think that they were frustrated hall monitors in school.

I always volunteer my time and then take it out on others. :bowrofl:

One can correct someone else without the appearance of demeaning them. Instruct the first time and chastize the second time seems reasonable to me. I have seen the RSO's resort to yelling at someone in the checking station without the convenient excuse of having to shout over the gunfire.

Some of them do make me think that they were frustrated hall monitors in school.

That's not what I'm saying. The rules for that range are published, and I read them before I ever stepped on the property. Those RSO's spend a LOT of their time enforcing those rules because people either don't know them, or intentionally break them. I'm saying... spend a few days doing that, and your fuse may get a little short. I can understand how some folks may not like the rules. If it ever really gets to me, I'll throw on some Kevlar and hit the Cheatham shoot-'em-up. Right now, I'm pretty happy not getting shot by some goober's brand new Glock.

If somebody was totally disrespectful to me, I would chalk the first time up to having a bad day. The second time, I may have a talk with the guy that runs the place (nice guy).

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Join a private range, it's worth it. I joined the local gun club and have not looked back. The public (and free) range in my area is Prentice Cooper. Most of the shooters there are safe and pose no problem but the ones that do pose a problem ruin the place. The only reason to go there any more is to pick up brass (hmmm.... I might do that this weekend)

I got crabbed at while at Johnn Sevier in Knox for tipping my revolver up while ejecting cartridges. Mind you the cylinder was swung out of the gun at the time. I pointed that out to the RSO. I mean how is the gun going to go bang when the cylinder is not in the gun? He kept on about it so I packed up and left.

Also saw two cohorts get scolded for talking too loud there as people were trying to shoot.

And my brother accidently shot at a target in the lane next to his, he got scolded as "it is rare but possible the two bullets may collide and cause a ricochet."

I really hate that place and only go there as a last resort.

I have never had any issues at Stones River. I go on Friday afternoon when no people are there. The only issues I have had with the RSO's are when I am trying to teach my Son or I pull out something different or odd at the range. They tend to crowd you

and interject their points at the wrong moment.

I tend to stay away from the pistol range on the weekends. It can be very scary with some of the people that go there.