Worst Handgun Range in TN - Stones River TWRA

Guest SpoonMan3

Guest truejarhead
I have taken my 9 yr old there 3 times and we have never had a bad experience

Same here. Never had a bad experience at any time I've gone. I have also never had my weapons inspected using a mirror. They typically rack the slide and check the chamber. My son loves going.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here. Never had a bad experience at any time I've gone. I have also never had my weapons inspected using a mirror. They typically rack the slide and check the chamber. My son loves going.

You're talking about Stones River? They always use a bore light and mirror to check for barrel obstructions. I have run a lot of guns thru there, and they always check.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The range officers have a dangerous and thankless job. It is hard to tell the idiots from the safe, knowledgeable people. The rules are there for your safety, and probably not written by gun people. The guy who taught my CCW class was the biggest idiot I've ever seen holding a gun. You'd guess for sure he'd know something about firearm safety. I thought my father was going to insert the teacher's gun in his rear orifice once. He had a cocked and locked 1911 pointed directly at my father's head while demonstrating "gun safety". There's just no way to tell who's who. That was the only time I've shot at a public range, and it was a very uncomfortable experience. I couldn't imagine being in charge of one.

They get quite a few newbies thru there, probably a lot more than any other outdoor range in the area. After being there a bunch of time, I understand why all the rules are there. I even understand the single target rule on the hadgun range. I've seen more than one target frame that was shot to hell.

You're talking about Stones River? They always use a bore light and mirror to check for barrel obstructions. I have run a lot of guns thru there, and they always check.

+1. Pretty sure that is their SOP. Never had one they didn't use a bore light and mirror on, never.

.... I've seen more than one target frame that was shot to hell.

Ever looked around at the baffles, partitions and ceiling??? I also understand the one target per frame rule even though I personally do not like it.

I pay my $5.50 tell them yes I've shot here in the past and no I don't need a target, check in with eye and ear protection on, ol' coot checks my unloaded weapons light/mirror, enter range hand them my tag at desk /take my tag & tacks to requested end spot after telling them I reload and collect my brass, far right against wire. Unload weapons when line is hot, open pistols/revolvers up to be inspected for when line goes cold. Take my 1 shoot n c target put it up and prepare for line to go hot, goes hot pick up weapon fire until times up and repeat till I run out of ammo or get tired of shooting bullseyes ;) collect all my brass, pack up and leave.

+1 I keep my mouth shut, mind my own business and just shoot.

I've shot at Stones many times (pistols only), and on the few times where RSOs got aggressive, I appreciated it. They can be annoying, certainly, but there are a lot of idiots out there who can't follow basic safety rules. For whatever reason, they congregate on Saturdays. If I was tasked to ensure safety in a sea of shooters, some good, a few bad (and retarded to boot), I'd be on edge as well.

Jenny can be a bit overbearing at times, but the lady does love guns. If you follow the rules, and if you don't screw up and point your gun at her or another human, she's no problem at all.

After seeing some of the stuff that goes on(ie dude shoot himself in stomach). It provides a safe place to learn and shoot yes it gets busy and yes I am sure sometimes they yell, but hey as long as we all go home it will be ok.

I think I know that guy...PM inbound.

Private ranges are fine, but ISTM that I have to know someone in it first. Sort of like the Masons....To be one, ask one. I don't know any private range members, and don't know where any are. I'm not selling a kidney to shoot at Rick Usselton's (a nice place, but pricey), and I have no desire to ever see the inside of Gun City. That leaves me with Stones River and GnL*.

I like SR well enough. It's as close to home as GnL, which is about 45 minutes. The price is low and the range is clean (same for GnL). I try to get there at opening time and it seems to help with the overcrowding.

Brass is theirs once it goes in a yellow bucket, but I've never had a problem with collecting it and putting it in my own bag. The screens are fine for catching brass from the neighbors, but it's not real helpful when the .45's start up. Then I'd like a more substantial barrier, like what GnL has.

Jenny is certainly more present than some of the others, but I've not found her to be overly intrusive. On slow days, she's given me some good advice that has improved my aim. I was corrected by her for a couple of things my first time there, but wasn't yelled at. I appreciated the correction and the clarification of what's expected. It has never been a problem since then. I was glad for the RSO's over-protective attitudes 2 weeks ago. I can't tell you how many times the loud-speaker guy warned "#3, stay behind the red line while the range is cold." I think #3 finally got a clue when he said "once more and I'll kick you out." I'm just wondering why it took so long for the RSO to get to that warning.

My 2 main complaints about the place are too short a time for shooting before it goes cold, and stupid dinner-plate targets. I can live with the time issue, but I'm honestly not good enough to group headshots at 50 feet yet. I want a silhouette target and don't understand why we can't use them. If it's because of the frame size....change the frame system. If it's beacuse it's a "family" environment, give me a break.

*Unless one of you fine TGO'ers who are private range members want to pass along an invitation :D

Edited by monkeylizard
Sounds like a place our tax $$$$$ don't need to be spent.

I don't think they are.

Unlike most departments, which are supported by tax revenues, the TWRA is funded largely through the monies generated by licenses and permits purchased by hunters, anglers, and other outdoor enthusiasts. Yet the Agency plays a major, though often unseen, role in the life of every Tennessean.

I have shot there, and while I didn’t get yelled at or bothered, I don’t like it because I don’t like any supervised range. Many people are just the opposite; they want to go to a supervised range…it makes them feel safe.

I don’t think closing this range is the answer. I was impressed with this range, it was large, clean, and well taken care of.

If you are upset with something a range RSO did, either take your scolding and move on, leave and don’t go back, or talk to whoever is in charge.

I don't think they are.

I have shot there, and while I didn’t get yelled at or bothered, I don’t like it because I don’t like any supervised range. Many people are just the opposite; they want to go to a supervised range…it makes them feel safe.

I don’t think closing this range is the answer. I was impressed with this range, it was large, clean, and well taken care of.

If you are upset with something a range RSO did, either take your scolding and move on, leave and don’t go back, or talk to whoever is in charge.

I don't like supervised ranges either, but I don't get pissed when I have to use one. In my teenage years, the range was in the back yard. Those places are hard to find these days.

Stones River gets less regimented with less people. If you're the only one there, they'll even run on your schedule. The schedule gives me a lot more grief than the rules or the RSO's.

Guest mustangdave

I showed up to this party way LATE...I personally like Stones River...never had a beef with any of the RSO's. This Jenny you all speak of...is this "woman" on the tall side...kinda "MANLY"...and shoots a Magnum Research BFR chambered in .30 caliber?

I showed up to this party way LATE...I personally like Stones River...never had a beef with any of the RSO's. This Jenny you all speak of...is this "woman" on the tall side...kinda "MANLY"...and shoots a Magnum Research BFR chambered in .30 caliber?

Kinda "MANLY"? :drama: Don't know what she shoots, but I know she loves guns as much as any of the RSO's. She helped my girlfriend establish a basic grip on my P01, and then gave her a little more instruction when she switched to the 1911. Got no problem with her.

They're all strict when you break the rules, and they're all gonna be loud to make sure they get past the hearing protection and gunfire.

That's her. She also has a Sig Trailside, I believe. I've already given my 2 cents, but I may as well give it again. Stones River is alright in my book. When I shoot at other ranges, I feel compelled to keep tabs on other shooters to make sure they're not doing something retarded and dangerous right next to me. For instance, people shooting as fast as they can at a man sized target 10 yards away with a hand gun...and missing every shot. I watch others less at Stones River.

My only problem with it is that it's not terribly close to me and they shut down early during the winter. Oh, and they don't allow silhouette targets of any kind.

Guest Tull

I think Stones River has to more deligent because of the large amount of new shooters that come there. I don't have a problem with it.

+1. It's just really hard to find yourself as the only one there except when the weather sucks.

Friday afternoons are a good bet if you can get there before 3:30 or so. I've been all by myself more than once, even when the weather was perfect. At 3:00, there's usually only 2 or 3 people on the line.

I shoot Stones River once a month and no complaints. I have met Jenny and she was real friendly. Last week she gave me crap because I shot up the bull’s-eye and the rest of my rounds were passing through the hole. She said, “I needed to spread the rounds in case the "bull’s-eye" isn't a vital organ”. I’m sure she says that 10 times a day, but it was funny.

I shoot Stones River once a month and no complaints. I have met Jenny and she was real friendly. Last week she gave me crap because I shot up the bull’s-eye and the rest of my rounds were passing through the hole. She said, “I needed to spread the rounds in case the "bull’s-eye" isn't a vital organâ€. I’m sure she says that 10 times a day, but it was funny.

Last Saturday (early afternoon) I heard her tell that to someone there. I wonder if that way you? I was 2 lanes to the right with an NRA Freedom hat and a CZ tshirt.

I can't believe I just read all 200 +/- posts. I heard some awful things, but I also heard a few people with lots of class call people out on it.

It's a public range and newbies come out in droves. I am glad to see new people to the sport and that they have a safe place to learn. They have to be strict or someone dies. We're not out there playing cards. We have loaded firearms and not everyone is experienced. True, some of us are, but they don't ask for our shooting resume and give us a little star to indicate we don't make mistakes. I've been shooting for 35 years and if I make a mistake they have a right to call me on it. The key thing here is that, if I do everything safe, I don't get corrected. And like some others have said, yes they DO have to yell...ear protection, duh. If what we do wrong is grossly unsafe they'll grab the mic or walk over (whichever is faster) to make sure we stop that. If it's not something urgent, they'll walk over and tell you individually.

Jenny and Bill are the volunteer RSOs most often when I go and they are awesome! Actually, they all are and they have a tough job. As certified instructors they feel responsible for your safety beyond what is required by their position, so naturally they jump on rule violations (e.g. the guy that shot himself). They give you a copy of the rules on your first visit and you DID agree to follow them when you came in.

I hate that I can't hang a silhouette, though. It's a silly political rule, but it's Hunter's Ed station, not a self-defense school. If they let me hang 4 targets, b/c I can shoot well, the beginners will want to as well and my shoot up the target stands. If I need more to shoot at, I bring the nine-spot targets that are on a single sheet.

Don't get me wrong, it's not perfect. I think I know who the range nazi is and I definitely agree he needs to chill. I wish I had my own place to shoot too or that I could afford a membership where only experienced shooters are allowed to be. Until then, the place is cheap, safe, and close to home.

Guest HvyMtl

Oh, and honestly, IMHO Gun City's indoor range is much worse. Little to no ventilation, and no a/c - shoot on a day like today and its well over 100 degrees...

I've never been to Stones River, but after skimming this thread I imagine I'd be kicked out in a matter of minutes.

You might want to check it out before you say that.

I suspect egos are involved more than anything.

Guest 6.8 AR

mikegideon and I met at Southside, yesterday. I imagine he will chime in here about it,

later. One thing he did say about Stones River which did turn me off about Stones

River compared to Southside, was distance to where you had to carry your equipment

to go shooting. You can literally back car right up to within ten feet away from where

you shoot at Southside.

Currently there are some new RSO's at Southside and they are least more thorough,

primarily because they may not know you. Most of those guys know me and leave me

alone. One RSO, yesterday, stood around at the pistol range, reminding me how much

better a shooter my son was and why wasn't he out there! :hat:

We should do that more often. I had a good time, maybe even get a few more TGO'ers together, next time.