Worst Handgun Range in TN - Stones River TWRA

Guest SpoonMan3

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest no_masters
Ok, why don't some of you wealthy fellas open up a private range in the South Nashville area so we have somewhere else to go?

my thoughts exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

I go to the Stones river range, and that very mannish transvestite looking woman always ruins the trip for me. She is the most annoying person on the planet. You will be in the middle of shooting, and she will distract you by trying to start a conversation mid shot. She has also grabbed my other firearms, ammo, and other range accessories without asking mid shot. I realize she has a job to do, and if I am doing something unsafe, she should let me know. I just wish she would leave me alone if i am following all the rules. I left the range early today because she would not shut up. It is very depressing to show up at the range and see her, because you know your trip will be miserable. Sorry for griping, but I needed to vent.

Guest Patty
I go to the Stones river range, and that very mannish transvestite looking woman always ruins the trip for me. She is the most annoying person on the planet. You will be in the middle of shooting, and she will distract you by trying to start a conversation mid shot. She has also grabbed my other firearms, ammo, and other range accessories without asking mid shot. I realize she has a job to do, and if I am doing something unsafe, she should let me know. I just wish she would leave me alone if i am following all the rules. I left the range early today because she would not shut up. It is very depressing to show up at the range and see her, because you know your trip will be miserable. Sorry for griping, but I needed to vent.

I understand, she is kinda unsafe in her own way.

I was there for about an hour today. I didn't see her on the handgun range

Mike,

Oh yeah, John Sevier can be really bad. Don't get me wrong, it's an ok facility and most of the ROs are alright guys. However, you go there on the wrong day and you'll unwillingly receive the biggest earful of father-knows-best inaccurate crap in the world.

I'll go there every once in awhile to shoot on their rifle range and I have been scolded for some goofy @$$ stuff before. Not to mention some of the little nuggets of golden education they will bestow upon you from time to time. Every time I've ever brought my wife (who is a very proficient and SAFE shooter), they treat her like she is just the dumbest thing on the planet and try to stand over her shoulder correcting any minuscule issue regarding her shooting. It's really irritating when I'm just trying to have a good time with the ol' lady. Also, very sexist if I might say so.

Ok, why don't some of you wealthy fellas open up a private range in the South Nashville area so we have somewhere else to go?

I have an idea for a huge range complex and gun shop the likes of which have never been seen around here. Know any millionaires that want to invest? :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Old topic. However, I have to agree w/ many of the comments here. I went here for the 1st time on Mem Day weekend. I will not go back and my son said "please let's never come here again".

What happened? I was on the rifle range friday and saturday

Guest motonut

I go to Stones River once or twice a month at least, I have no problem with their rules. I have no problem with them checking all my firearms before I get to the range and have no problem with them checking the firearms after declaring the range cold.

I've never heard someone being scolded for picking up brass, in fact they tell you to when you're changing targets. The only time I've ever heard anyone scolded is for picking brass out of the buckets, once it's in the buckets it's theirs. Not a big deal.

The only time I've experienced any over aggressive RSO's is when the range is really busy and to be honest with you that's when I want them to be aggressive, I've seen some real idiots (customers) out there. I was there this past Fri. and there were only 2 -3 of us on the rifle side, the RSO's were very relaxed, they had us telling them when we were ready to change targets. It was very low key range session.

No, I'm not an RSO, just a happy customer and I appreciate the facility. One good thing with all the people screaming "they'll never go back", the range will be less crowded for the rest of us.

Edited by motonut

Last Friday, I was on the rifle range by myself at closing time, so I had a chance to chew the fat with my personal RSO. The subject of newbies came up, and he commented about how it gets there sometimes, especially right after a gun show. He told me about one guy that actually loaded the ammo into his mag backwards! Some of these yoyos go out there with zero knowledge of their own firearm, much less the first thing about gun safety.

A lot of their safety practices come from their experience with people that use the range. Most folks that go there are experienced shooters, but all it takes is one idiot. A single serious injury or death could get them shut down.

I just read the first post, the original story and it kind of reminded me of Basic Training and going to the range. Everything you did was dangerous and wrong.

I just haven't experienced that at Stones River. Follow the rules, and you don't hear from them at all. That includes Jenny.

Guest 308Phantom

After seeing some of the stuff that goes on(ie dude shoot himself in stomach). It provides a safe place to learn and shoot yes it gets busy and yes I am sure sometimes they yell, but hey as long as we all go home it will be ok.

I've seen it before. Its called "insect authority", and I have very low tolerance of such.

I have a low tolerance of that too. I haven't seen that at Stones River, but there's no reason for them to show it to me either.

I don't enjoy the rules. But as long as the place is open to the general public, I prefer the rules to getting shot by some goober.

Guest HvyMtl

My experience is they basically have to treat you like you are a "zero" until proven otherwise.

I organized a shoot of a brand of handgun for a different forum there once.

Was advised to have the shoot Sunday, at opening, as it was the least busy day.

15 people showed and they placed us together. No major issues.

Did have an Officer tap me on the shoulder as I was about to shoot. About dropped a different load right then... He wanted to know about the Bersa UC45 I was shooting. Wish he had waited until the "cold" time.

The reason behind them not wanting you taking the brass out of the yellow buckets - this is their Lunch Money. They clean the brass and sell it, then use the money to pay for their food and drinks. They do NOT get paid, and they do NOT get food and drink provided while there. 100% Volunteer.

The rule about CC permit not allowed is simple, this is not the range's rule, but the State's rule as CC is not allowed on the property.

IF you have an issue with one of the Range Officers, get their name, and call back to speak to Tim Turrentine, the Range Manager... If the Range Officer is reported and is a problem, they will be removed...

Personally, I go to Terry Walden's place out in Manchester... Its a 50 mile run from where I live, but it is $5 dawn til dusk, and has zero Range Officers. IF you know what you are doing, it is the place to go. (931) 728-0223. Pistol and Rifle (300m) range...

My experience is they basically have to treat you like you are a "zero" until proven otherwise.

I organized a shoot of a brand of handgun for a different forum there once.

Was advised to have the shoot Sunday, at opening, as it was the least busy day.

15 people showed and they placed us together. No major issues.

Did have an Officer tap me on the shoulder as I was about to shoot. About dropped a different load right then... He wanted to know about the Bersa UC45 I was shooting. Wish he had waited until the "cold" time.

The reason behind them not wanting you taking the brass out of the yellow buckets - this is their Lunch Money. They clean the brass and sell it, then use the money to pay for their food and drinks. They do NOT get paid, and they do NOT get food and drink provided while there. 100% Volunteer.

The rule about CC permit not allowed is simple, this is not the range's rule, but the State's rule as CC is not allowed on the property.

IF you have an issue with one of the Range Officers, get their name, and call back to speak to Tim Turrentine, the Range Manager... If the Range Officer is reported and is a problem, they will be removed...

Personally, I go to Terry Walden's place out in Manchester... Its a 50 mile run from where I live, but it is $5 dawn til dusk, and has zero Range Officers. IF you know what you are doing, it is the place to go. (931) 728-0223. Pistol and Rifle (300m) range...

Can't beat the $5 deal. I keep an annual TWRA membership, so there are no time limits at their ranges. I plan to go to Southside this week, which is supposed to have a couple of 400 yard lanes.

Example:

We went from the rifle range to the pistol range and my buddy asked if they had room and someone barked “no”. We put the rifles back into the car and came back again and there were 3-4 spots open. We get our lane and there was a guy right next to us w/ a “Dity Bird” target that had 4 small targets on one sheet. After waiting for the cease-fire, he put up the EXACT SAME TARGET scenario w/ the exception of (4) 3” targets instead of the same on one sheet. The lady (???) said you couldn’t have more than 1 target on the pistol range as someone might hit the wood target stand.

OK…………How was that different than the guy next to me? So Asked why. She (???) said if someone is a bad shot, they may hit the wood on the target stand. So my buddy walks back the target and leaves just one target that is 3” diameter.

First up, my 11 year old son shoots 10 rounds all in the black (on a 3" target) and better than most of the grown men to the left and right of me, right next to me. All the time, she was watching us. We looked at her shook our heads and left.

I was not impressed with this place.

Something I can say about one of the TWRA ranges I used to frequent. They do have some power trippy people but nothing out of hand and yes some of their policies make you say "WTF". But I don't mind if the RSO's micromanage me ,even though I do have an extensive amount of training as well as practical firearm use, because I know they are micromanaging the guy sitting next to me as well. That is the guy who may not know his ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to firearm safety. Those are the ones I worry about because if the RSO's weren't checking my actions they wouldn't be checking the other guys actions either and that is when someone gets hurt.

I did see something that was very disturbing though. The brass that is tossed in the bucket at the range I frequent is supposed to go to the Boy Scouts so they can recycle it to support them. I was told that early on by a few different RSO's on a few different occassions when I asked about the brass. The disturbing thing I saw was one of the RSO's bringing a big box of brass into a local gun shop and trading it for goods/services. I know it came from the range because I was sitting there when walked in and said he said "this is what we got at the range today" or something similar. He was still in the same clothes that he was in when I was at the range a few hours earlier. I have seen this same RSO do the same thing on a couple of different occasions. I have seen other RSO's picking up brass and putting it in their pockets, a lot of them do that. They then sweep up the steel cased stuff or stuff that they don't want and put it in the recycle bucket for the Boy Scouts.

I witnessed a RSO make a homemade silencer. He asked for my soda bottle when I was done. He slipped it over the barrel of a .22 then duct taped the crap out of it. He fired a few rounds to test it. This was done in front of a small crowd and the RSO had no idea who half these people were.

I have had a few run ins with the overzealous RSO's but I really don't mind it as long as they are doing the same with others who are breaking the rules.

Dolomite

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. The range officers have a dangerous and thankless job. It is hard to tell the idiots from the safe, knowledgeable people. The rules are there for your safety, and probably not written by gun people. The guy who taught my CCW class was the biggest idiot I've ever seen holding a gun. You'd guess for sure he'd know something about firearm safety. I thought my father was going to insert the teacher's gun in his rear orifice once. He had a cocked and locked 1911 pointed directly at my father's head while demonstrating "gun safety". There's just no way to tell who's who. That was the only time I've shot at a public range, and it was a very uncomfortable experience. I couldn't imagine being in charge of one.