Why do you carry a Springfield XD?

Guest Scottech

Guest Scottech

How original right?

To me the XD was safe yet simple. I picked it up, pointed it down range and all the safeties disengaged and it all felt RIGHT! It's done this for me with over 500 rounds down range and I'm sure it would in a stressful situation. Thank the Lord I haven't needed it on the streets yet! I am extremely pleased with this weapon.

The reason I picked the XD is simply because of personal preference. I've done my research and actually planned to purchase a Glock but found the best for me in the XD. There are so many factors. What's behind your selection of the XD?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

My very first gun was an XD40 Service. Like you said, it just felt right when I held it. Very fine weapon. It was my main carry piece until I got my HK USPc.

Like I said in the glock thread, I planned to buy a glock but it pointed horribly for me and my fingers didn't fit the finger grooves on the gen 3's. The guy behind the counter suggested the XD and it pointed perfectly and had no finger grooves and I was sold.

1. Every XD I have ever picked up and pointed, the sights lined right up with my eye immediately.

2. The controls are nicely located and finished (not made out of plastic).

3. Excellent, consistent trigger-pull, compared to other striker-fired pistols.

4. The grip fits my hand more naturally than any other polymer-framed pistol, and most metal-framed pistols.

5. All 3 of the XDs I have owned, and the several others I have fired, have been 100% functionally reliable over a combined round-count nearing 10K. Using many types of ammo, including reloads and some factory loads which other guns choked on.

6. Exceptional accuracy, for a polymer pistol... and very controllable recoil. The gun is easy to shoot, and easy to shoot rapidly.

7. The XD is very quick into action, with no manual safeties, and the magazines & release are very positive, allowing for rapid mag-changes.

8. Simple maintenance, robust parts, lifetime warranty, and plenty of parts & accessories for tuners. Cheap magazines ($19~)

9. Low cost, high value. In the same price range as Glocks, M&Ps and Wathers... oftentimes lower. IMHO the XD is the best in its class.

10. The gun is light and easy to carry, and available in 3 distinct and very usable sizes:

3" SubCompact: Discreet/Everyday Carry

4" Service: Duty/Multi-Purpose

5" Tactical: Range/Competition

i purchased my first xd on research only. it was hard to find one around here at the time so all my research was done online. i read a lot on xdtalk and search many online gun stores until i finally purchased and xd .40 service. from time of interest until purchase was about 10 months. when it finally came in i was extremely pleased. the first day i took her shooting i went with my neighbor who has a glock 19. i won't go into glock bashing here, let me just say i was very glad i went with the xd.

Good outline molonlabetn –

I have not shot the 9mm yet but I believe I may buy one or the 40 cal and switch my G-19 for one of the two mentioned as a carry

What do you guys thing of the 40 cal vs. the 9mm – with the expandable bullets of today it seems more academic or should I consider this issue more seriously

I have been carrying the G-19 and the XD-45

I was surprised how quickly I adapted to the XD-45 – shot it for the first time in a match and shot a perfect score at the end of the day (I’m a bit slow moving around with my knees but the gun really was ready for a second shot)

Guest canynracer

What do you guys thing of the 40 cal vs. the 9mm – with the expandable bullets of today it seems more academic or should I consider this issue more seriously

oh NO, you didnt go there...really?? LOL

let the games begin!!:eek:

Guest bkelm18

I won't carry anything that don't start with a 4!

:eek:

I joke. My personal pref is .40SW. Just what I shoot best.

.40s&w and .357sig create more recoil than 9mm... and they cost more to practice with. But they do hit harder, for whatever that's worth, at the cost of lower magazine capacity.

I carry .357sig... not because I think that 9mm is inadequete, but because I see no harm in carrying a caliber that is more than adequete, which I can shoot and control just as effectively. Makes sense to me... but still, plenty of people have successfully defended themselves with 9mm.

.40s&w is a good round too, for sure... There's no wrong choice, unless you choose something that you can't shoot, or choose something that won't at least penetrate far enough to hit vitals (regardless of how big it is).

.40s&w is a good round too, for sure... There's no wrong choice, unless you choose something that you can't shoot, or choose something that won't at least penetrate far enough to hit vitals (regardless of how big it is).

That has been my feeling and although the 9mm is a capable round I think I will buy the XD-40c as my next purchase and we will see where that takes me

If the 40 works as well as the service 45 then great

Thanks

Guest canynracer
I won't carry anything that don't start with a 4!

:eek:

I joke. My personal pref is .40SW. Just what I shoot best.

its all about the 9mmmmmmmmmmm

:popcorn:

Im kidding too...I have no preference..I do carry a 9mm though...if I found a 40 that I liked, and wanted to carry, I'd buy it

What molonlabetn said.

I pretty much had already made up my mind when I bought my XD9. I researched it like crazy, and liked what I heard.

I started off knowing I wanted something like a Glock. When I went and looked at them, I held the XD and it just felt better in my hand. Every person I have ever spoken to that owns an XD says the exact same thing.

What really drew me to it though was the grip safety. This is my first handgun, and my wife was a little uneasy about owning one. We have grandkids. The safety was just an extra bit of peace of mind for her. By the way, she is now toitally on board with guns, adn even wants one of her own for Christmas.:eek: I also like the indicators that show it is cocked and chambered.

I am very happy with it. The more I shoot, the more I like it.

• Administrator

I have owned an XD 9mm Service (4") model and an XD 45ACP Compact model. My ex has owned an XD 9mm Compact but sold it in favor of an M&P 9mm Compact.

I now own an XD 9mm Tactical (5") model that I will use for gaming and just generally enjoying the heck out of at the range. I put 100 rounds through it a week ago and loved every single one. :eek:

That little gun has quickly become my 2nd favorite toy. The first being the Wilson, of course.

I carry a 9mm XD-SC. Its the pistol I carry daily. I like it a lot but the finish and build quality seem lesser than the glock36 I use for CCW. Also, i really like modular aspect of my XD. I've got 6 mags. 1/2 are subcompact and 1/2 are full sized with spacer. I also like the way the mag pouches, holster and XD light group together.

XD9 Service is what I'm carrying now. I wouldn't mind something a little more narrow, but I'm in no hurry, because that might be an excuse to just own another gun.

I've put about 400 rounds through it and had only one "user error". I thought my slide wasn't locking open after the last cartridge was fired. Come to find out, the way I was doing my two-handed grip was preventing it. I adjusted my grip and was very relieved that resolved the issue. Everything else was as good as I could have hoped for and I didn't want anything to make me feel bad about buying the gun...and so far, nothing about the gun has.

Guest nitrous_mike

My first XD was a SC40 that I bought the 26th of December 05, I was going to buy a gun to carry and it was between a Glock and a H&K. But once I picked up a SA I was in total lust whit the way if actually fit my hands and went perfect on point. I have since put over 10k rounds threw the gun have never had any major problems out it at all, I am so pleased with it I bought a XD 45 about a month ago and have put maybe 500 rounds threw it.

It may just be me I have never picked up any handgun that is "stock" and it actually fit me as perfect as the XD's do. I also love the no fumbling with safeties or hammers feature that they offer but thats just me.

I went in to get a Glock and came out with the XD9 service. It was a little bit cheaper, fit much better, and looked a whole lot better - IMO. All that being subjective, I have to say I am very glad i got the XD over the Glock. Time has proven my choice - if in my mind at least. Plus i avoided the Glock snob image.:up:

Was looking at Glocks, but the grip was just not comfortable for my hand. I had read about the XD's, never shot one. Picked up the XD and loved it. The grip, the balance, everything felt great. So I bought it. Put a little bit of oil on it, went to the range and shot it, still loved it. It has been a year, around 2000 rounds through it, no FTF, FTE, other than misfire drills.

Wow, a year old, and 2000 rounds, I guess it is time to clean it for the first time!:up:

Just kidding:D

About the only negative thing I could say about the XD vs. the Glock, in my personal experience, was the slide rusting problem in the early models. I fixed that by having the slide Duracoated. Since the finish has now been improved, even that reason is gone.

Guest Scottech
About the only negative thing I could say about the XD vs. the Glock, in my personal experience, was the slide rusting problem in the early models. I fixed that by having the slide Duracoated. Since the finish has now been improved, even that reason is gone.

From my understanding the slide corrosion was due to improper (non-existent) cleaning and storage. As any of us know this isn't a wrench that you throw in a toolbox. I learned how to care for and clean a weapon the first day I ever shot one (even before military service). I keep all my weapons free of powder residue, dust and dirt. I use Break Free CLP (as I did in the military) and I think it's the best product on the market to care for any firearm.

Actually, I never had the rusting problem either. I've never had on any of my firearms, even in the jungle, but not everyone cares for their weapons as well as I do.

But the slide rusting problem was one of the few complaints about the XD - so they fixed it.

The slide corrosion problem was very real, but Springfield took care of it very well. Local PD adopted XD40s a couple years back, and after just a few months most were showing signs of rust, and a few were absolutely trashed. Springfield took the guns back a few at a time, put the new finish on the slides, and the problem hasn't resurfaced. I think the new surface treatment is very similar to S&Ws Melonite, which has proven to be superb.

DanO