Need help from Chattanooga guys.

Guest Caveman

Guest Caveman

I am taking my fiancee out of town for a weekend. Due to many different factors I don't want to drive far, but I want to get us out of Knoxville for a bit, so I was thinking Chattanooga. I have only been there once and I spent most of my time (one day) downtown. Basically I would like to be in an area where we can get a nice hotel room and walk to whatever there is to do. So, would you guys fill me in on what there is to do and where I should stay? The help would be appreciated. Also, please let me know where NOT to go as I don't want to end up in the ghetto somewhere.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a nice historic hotel that is right downtown and right off I-24 I would recommend the Read House. Very nice, old and has a great steak house in the lobby. All of Downtown is within a short walk or you can hop on the free shuttle. A couple good bars are right across the street if you are into that. For something different I would check out how much rooms are in the new Delta Queen hotel in Coolidge Park. This is still relatively new so I have no first hand experience here but basically the Delta Queen boat parked here and has been converted to a hotel and restaurant. There are a few other chain hotels by the river and aquarium but for something not run of the mill these are my suggestions. I have more info if you need it, been here all my life, just ask.

Book ahead if possible. Stay at the riverfront/downtown area. Everything there is within safe walking distance.

if it is over 1/2 mile from the aquarium you don't want to stay there. In other words - If King's Lodge comes up on your hotel search....avoid it like the plague.

Downtown is where its at. Aquarium, Imax, a VERY nice traditional movie theatre, good eating places, and some neat shops on Fraizer. Sticky Fingers is one of the better eating places and are running $25 for 2 specials that can't be beat.

Lookout mountain is nice, but Ruby Falls and the incline are very touristy. Point park and Rock City are actually pretty neat.

Edit...if you want something unique for hotel. The above mentioned riverboat or One of the boxcars at the Choo Choo are neat. The choo choo is in a semi - desirable part of town 1 mile away from downtown, but is a safe place and has a free shuttle to the other hot spots. There are some VERY swanky places to eat near the Choo Choo.

Edited by I_Like_Pie

If you want to walk places, your only option is downtown. You can stay in the hotels near the Aquarium or the Choo-Choo. The area around the Aquarium (highly recommneded) is nice with the Hunter Art Museum, riverwalk, baseball stadium, IMAX, riverboat, and Coolidge Park across the bridge. There's a shuttle bus that runs between the Aquarium and Choo-Choo. Unfortunately you don't have to walk far to end up in some potentially unpleasant places. Stick to the renovated areas and you'll be fine.

If you're a history person, Lookout Mtn (Point Park) and Chickamauga Battlefield have lots of civil war history. The Incline is a must ride. Ruby Falls is neat.

Eat at Porkers BBQ and/or the Big River Grill. The Station House resturant is nice if you like a show with dinner. Dinner on the Dining Car is elegant.

If you want a nice historic hotel that is right downtown and right off I-24 I would recommend the Read House. Very nice, old and has a great steak house in the lobby. All of Downtown is within a short walk or you can hop on the free shuttle. A couple good bars are right across the street if you are into that. For something different I would check out how much rooms are in the new Delta Queen hotel in Coolidge Park. This is still relatively new so I have no first hand experience here but basically the Delta Queen boat parked here and has been converted to a hotel and restaurant. There are a few other chain hotels by the river and aquarium but for something not run of the mill these are my suggestions. I have more info if you need it, been here all my life, just ask.

Err... I would avoid the Delta Queen like the plague!

It's an overpriced, old, floating motel that's been docked at the park.

Personally, I would stay at either the Choo Choo, or the Residents Inn across from the Lookouts stadium.

My preference would be with the former as there's plenty to do and see right on site.

Like mentioned, there's a free shuttle that runs downtown so find a nice parking spot and enjoy.

They also have a horse shuttle at the Choo Choo.

Personally I wouldn't want to sit behind a horse all night watching it ****, but the ladies seem to enjoy that, though :)

Guest Travtastik

The Stone Fort Inn is a nice place to stay, but it would be bit longer walk to anything. I too would have to say stay away from the Delta Queen. My brother stayed in their honeymoon suite and said it was tiny. It was a total downer for the wedding day.

There is some nice fine dinning in the area too. St Johns is great and so is Hennans (sp?) but be prepaired to drop $100+ to eat if you go there. There are tons of other places to eat that are alot cheaper and good too, just depends on what you like.

Starting in April (I think) the Lookouts start playing and its $3 seats. If sports are out you can try the Vaudeville Cafe down town. Its a dinner and comedy show that is fun. I lived Downtown for about a year and there is something for everyone.

If you are staying downtown I would like to suggest the Terra Nostra restaurant on the north shore. It is kind of pricey but the food is fantastic. It is a Tapas style restaurant.

Also, if you like wine they usually have a great selection. Ask what they have that isn't on the menu as they buy weekly specials that are usually great.

Mark

Chattanooga Choo Choo used to have some nice package deals available - incl a decent dinner/breakfast (in their restaurant) and admission to the aquarium for a pretty low price.

(It was a big hit with my kids, don't know if it would be with your fiancee....)

Guest tennesseevolz

Read House or Double Tree- Double Tree is right down by the movie theatre and lots of restaurents--- both are nice though.

I was going to mention the Doubletree. It just opened a month or 2 ago.

It used to be a Clarion. They completely gutted it and remodeled it. Truth be told, there are probably a dozen or more class A hotels in the downtown area that you would like. Look for who has the best deal.

Guest JavaGuy

And all you Chattanoogans forgot to tell him to visit the historic site of the very first Krystal restaurant. Grin.. I'd be ashamed.

Teasing about the Krystal aside, you might want to look up Lula Lake, Lula Falls. Talk about beautiful... You've got everything there.. a beautiful stream, several waterfalls, a little lake, mountain top views into the valley.

It's up on Lookout Mtn. Offhand, I don't know when it's open to the public. It's a conservancy type thing. Check it out.

Welcome To LulaLake.com - Lula Lake Land Trust - protecting the Rock Creek watershed

And all you Chattanoogans forgot to tell him to visit the historic site of the very first Krystal restaurant. Grin.. I'd be ashamed.

Welcome To LulaLake.com - Lula Lake Land Trust - protecting the Rock Creek watershed

I am actually looking out my office window right now at that old building. It is at Cherry and 7th street. It is good, but pretty much a greasy spoon diner rather than a Krystal now.

I always thought that Krystal is bonkers nuts not to buy back that building and run it as the original.

Lula lake is awesome if you are into hiking.

Guest JavaGuy
I am actually looking out my office window right now at that old building. It is at Cherry and 7th street. It is good, but pretty much a greasy spoon diner rather than a Krystal now.

I always thought that Krystal is bonkers nuts not to buy back that building and run it as the original.

Lula lake is awesome if you are into hiking.

The closest Krystal to my house (Madison) has/had a picture of that original Krystal. I came spitting close to talking them out of it one day, and then the manager came back to her senses.

I agree that they ought to buy it back. It wouldn't fit their corporate procedures now, but I'd go to it when down that way.

Yeah, Lula Lake is all that and a bag of chips.

+1 for the Read House - Got married there and heard no complaints from our friends and family.