This picture tells the whole story about Mr. LaPierre!!!

You have a Democratic Senate Majority Leader that sponsored a shooting park, and the went out shooting (at that park) with an NRA exec. How is that a bad thing?

If you are willing to give up the rest of the Constitution, just to save one amendment, then God bless you. I, however, am not.

I guess I'm greedy enough to want the whole enchilada not to merely have crumbs thrown at me in order to gain my support. Compromise has gotten us nothing. It has shown weakness and has invited the liberals back to the table over and over to eat away at more of our freedoms.

I'll invite you to read Saul Alinski's book, Rules for Radicals (I hated buying it because it gives money to the family of a noted communist organizer). It is a key step in understanding the enemy. That is the book that each and every one of these bastards uses to grab at our freedoms piece by piece. I hate to say it, but the guy was a genius. I wish he had been working for us!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet an investigation would reveal that they are pocketing a large % of our $$$...

i doubt you need an investigation for that. They have payroll to meet, overhead to pay for, postage to pay for. Thats where the bulk of your fees go to.

I doubt very many here believe the NRA is anything close to a perfect organization; then again, I would suggest that any organization that is run by human beings and has a membership comprised of human beings is ever going to be “perfect†or anything close to it – likewise, except for organizations who’s memberships have been brainwashed, is going to have plenty of dissent on individual issues and how to address those issues.

However, just because an organization isn’t perfect or takes positions on issues you wouldn’t take doesn’t mean it should be avoided or dismissed.

The Second Amendment; in fact, almost every basic right we hold dear is under constant attack and threats of attack daily – none of us, individually, can do much to counter those attacks so, as incredibly imperfect as ALL of them are, we need organizations like the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, Tennessee Firearms Association, United States Concealed Carry and others to take our collective strength and wage the fight for us an along side of us.

Not all of us can afford to belong/support all of these various organizations but I would encourage all of us to do what we can and support those we can in whatever way we can while we still have a chance to do so and while we still have some rights to protect!

Very well said Robert. I did not post this question to make anyone feel they have to be a NRA member. Maybe if $5 of my $25 goes to help us keep the right we have now, I think "I" have done a little to help. Remember some of our "Law Makers" think the 2nd is "Out Dated" and needs to be revised.

I doubt very many here believe the NRA is anything close to a perfect organization; then again, I would suggest that any organization that is run by human beings and has a membership comprised of human beings is ever going to be “perfect” or anything close to it – likewise, except for organizations who’s memberships have been brainwashed, is going to have plenty of dissent on individual issues and how to address those issues.

However, just because an organization isn’t perfect or takes positions on issues you wouldn’t take doesn’t mean it should be avoided or dismissed.

The Second Amendment; in fact, almost every basic right we hold dear is under constant attack and threats of attack daily – none of us, individually, can do much to counter those attacks so, as incredibly imperfect as ALL of them are, we need organizations like the National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, Tennessee Firearms Association, United States Concealed Carry and others to take our collective strength and wage the fight for us an along side of us.

Not all of us can afford to belong/support all of these various organizations but I would encourage all of us to do what we can and support those we can in whatever way we can while we still have a chance to do so and while we still have some rights to protect!

Good post. The NRA isn't perfect but without them I think we would have a lot more restrictive gun laws than we have now.

Glenn

Guest walkingdeadman

I do not really see the point, and I am sure that all of you can help me understand though. On the other hand $25 a year...neh. Much less $35 a year for TGO...but that's a whole other thread.

It is worth the price to just to hear Jackson Councilman Brooks gnash his teeth over the "NRA nuts" who beat his Resolution to Ban HCP Carry in Parks. NRA did not have a thing to do with it, but if he wants to rant about how the NRA is the "boogie man" so be it.

We should all be glad that we have the NRA fighting for our gun rights. I am a life member of the NRA. I am kind of disappointed in people who own guns and go hunting that are not members of the NRA. $25 or $35 for a yearis well worth the money. $25 is what a half a tank of gas, a meal at ocharleys a carton of smokes. I also get tired of people complaining about the priceof admission to gun shows. You should be proud that you live in a state that still allows gun shows. Just my 2 cents.

I would join but I want to save up for a life membership since that is the best deal. The only problem is anytime I save up that amount of money I inevitably spend it on seomthing firearm related. I don't think the NRA can really blame me for that one.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Odd that I see this thread today. Last year I joined the USCCA, NRA and this fine place.

I talked a friend into also joining the NRA at the same time. He immediately started receiving his magazine American Rifleman I believe while I had picked the 2A one.

Well I have never received anything except the card and sticker. I have been meaning to ask them about it but always forgot.

Just today or yesterday I finally get a email news letter from them, so I decide to email and ask about the mags. I take out my card to have the number avail and realize it expires the first of next month.

I sent them an email this AM asking about the mags and told them I would most likely be joining again for another year. But that I was still concerned about not recieving what I was supposed to.

And I do find it very odd that I have not gotten any other news letters by email nor any snail mail stuff from them this whole time. ????

But even so I will use the link here to renew in the next month or so......

NO I dont think they are perfect nor are any of the others but they are all we have between us and the "Court of Support" formerly known as Congress in defense of our rights.

Everyone has the Freedom to join or not to join, with the huge difference in numbers of Gun owners in this country and members of the NRA, I would expect there are just as many reasons as to "Why Not" as there are people who do not join.

Why do you ask?

Probably because it is my right to choose whether i spend my $ on a membership( If and when I do choose to join i would choose the lifetime), but like previous posters stated, hard to get that kind of cash together at once. Because no matter what i do, something else needing my immediate attention the cash available is spent toward that thing, repair, etc...

I'm sure they can do without my $ for a little while.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

I was a member at one time, but that time has passed.

The NRA does not care about the issues I want to see addressed such as the Hughes amendment (86 machine gun ban), the 1968 GCA, or the 1934 NFA. In fact I have never read any official NRA literature regarding a desire to repeal any of these laws.

For $25 I would rather load up some 9mm and grab a brick of bulk 22LR and take two new friends to the range that do not have any firearms experience. Winning of hearts and minds.

Guest cheez

Well I cannot speak for the ones who are not members but I am a member because I value my second ammendment right and truly believe it would have long since been gone without the NRA.

It is sort of like voting. If you don't vote then you can have little gripe about politicians.

The only reason to compromise is to give the opposition something they aren't strong enough to take on their own. The leaders of the NRA are masters of this (giving in to the opposition at gun owners expense). I was a member for almost 30 years but realized they weren't my friend but just someone who wanted my money so they could keep their jobs, just like politicians.

A reasonable analogy...I'd even suggest that more than politicians; the NRA is almost like a political party.

Regardless of a person's political philosophy we are pretty much stuck with the two parties we have have - one will usually come closer to our personal position than the other one will yet even at that, they may be well off the mark for our tastes.

However, we know that a third-party will usually only siphon votes from the party the is the next most compatible with our views and insure a win by someone who hods to virtually none of our views.

I would suggest that our best chance for getting the "NRA" we want is to keep pressuring them to come around to our views; they've been around too long and hold too much power to simply ignore them and/or try to start over.

Okay, I missed the latest Sarah Palin Pearls of Wisdom. Where in the Holy Bible and the U.S. Constitution does it say you have to belong to the NRA?

Nowhere, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the 10 commandments that you can't use Sarah Palin and wisdom in the same sentence.

While I very much disagree with the Sara Palin slight/put-down, I will concur that no one said anything about it being mandatory to belong to the NRA or any other organization.

All of us can belong or not belong to any organization we chose to...if someone doesn't want to belong to the NRA that's fine; I happen to belong to it and several other organizations because I chose to do so and because I believe that each of the organizations I belong to, despite their faults, can do more to support and protect my/out gun rights than I or anyone else can do alone. :biglol:

While I very much disagree with the Sara Palin slight/put-down, I will concur that no one said anything about it being mandatory to belong to the NRA or any other organization.

All of us can belong or not belong to any organization we chose to...if someone doesn't want to belong to the NRA that's fine; I happen to belong to it and several other organizations because I chose to do so and because I believe that each of the organizations I belong to, despite their faults, can do more to support and protect my/out gun rights than I or anyone else can do alone. :biglol:

Look at my profile block on the left. I have been a member of the NRA for several decades. I just get upset when other people start saying any of us have to belong to any organization.

As a Southern Conservative Independent, I am also tired of the arrogance and self righteousness of the Republican Party in believing that it is okay to put down Democrats but somehow sacrilegious to make remarks about Republicans. If you can accept remarks against Obama and Pelosi on these forums then you must learn to accept remarks about Rush and Sarah, if you are to really remain fair about it. None of the above are holy saints. I was a staunch Republican for 4 decades btw. Now, I just lay claim to being an American voter and I am more concerned with being a good American Citizen than I am about any party affiliations. I believe the U.S. Constitution still allows me to do that.

However, I do respect and defend your individual right to be upset at remarks about people you respect personally, as long as you allow others to do the same.