Anyone familiar with old muskets?

My dad just gave me a 1861 sam colt musket that is in great shape. I am trying to find out if it's authentic or a reproduction. I can post pictures I just thought I would ask here first if anyone could help me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0002-1.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0002-2.jpg

Edited by XxthejuicexX
posting pics
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WestTN_reb

Can you post a pic of the business end of the muzzle. That is the main tell as to whether a rifle-musket is original or reproduction. The originals had thinner barrels, and weighed appx. 2 pounds less than reproductions.

If this is a reproduction, it's what we call a "defarb" in Reenacting. This means that it has had all of its modern markings removed and replaced with period stamps, wood recontoured, barrel refinished with proper technique (not modern blueing, etc.), and stock oil finished. The modern makers marks and serial # are then restamped on the bottom of the barrel where they can't be seen from the outside. The reason I suggest this is because there is a company in Bell Buckle that does this defarbing service to reproduction pieces.

John Spain

Civil War Living Historian

Edited by WestTN_reb

Sure looks like a reproduction to me. The rust freckling is the best giveaway. The originals would have acquired a nice patina to protect them by now. But the reproductions had a habit of developing a light freckling of rust if you looked at them with moist eyes. If it truly is an original in that condition, it is exceptional.

Take off the stock, and I'll bet you find 'MADE IN ITALY' stamped underneath the barrel.

Guest gcrookston

The stock gives it away - it's not American old forest walnut, it's a reproduction. A fine one, but not an original. Betting it's Italian. 2nd growth wood, probably Turkish walnut -- certainly not American old forest black walnut as would be called for. Remove it from it's stock and you should find the appropriate Italian proof marks on the barrel, perhaps the maker. I don't have my books with me, but perhaps the "V P" proofs visiable might be Italian.

The grain would be much more dense and darker, almost a black coffee color. There would be no cross-graining on an 1860's vintage walnut old forest stock - first growth, as is apparent in these photos. This is young wood and certainly not typical of the place and time the orignals were cut.

Edited by gcrookston

So I took the thing apart and there are no markings under the barrel telling me were it was made.... I had a friend of mine who is into civil war reenactments come over and look at it with me as we took it apart and he thinks it's a reproduction he says it's just way to nice to be an original which I believe. It's still a nice piece no mater what.