Home defense weapon.

Just looking for some advice. My wife and I had our house broken into, and we were robbed a few weeks ago, and last night out alarm went off, and really scared both of us a lot. I couldn't find any signs where anyone had attempted to get into the house, and I don't know why the alarm went off. The pad said that it was the motion sensor in our den that set it off, but there is no way anyone got into the house with the way all the windows and doors were locked when I inspected the house. Anyways, I was just looking to get some advice on pistols for home safety, I don't want to get a shotgun because they're so long, big and bulky, and we have several very tight corners going from the bedroom to the den. I have been doing a lot of research, and am currently looking at the 9x19mm glocks (leaning towards either the compact or subcompact) and keeping glaser safety slugs to use as home protection ammo. I have already taken a few handgun safety courses, and have been through TN's hunters education courses, and I know my way around guns. Any thoughts on what I should use?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

First off, ditch the Glaser junk. It's over-hyped, over-priced ammo. Just get yourself a good hollow point from any of the major manufacturers and you'll be good to go. Secondly, try and find a range that rents handguns and see what you and your wife like best.

First off, ditch the Glaser junk. It's over-hyped, over-priced ammo. Just get yourself a good hollow point from any of the major manufacturers and you'll be good to go. Secondly, try and find a range that rents handguns and see what you and your wife like best.

Ok then.

Sounds like really good advice, I will have to see if I can find a good range that rents guns. Anybody know of one in the Chattanooga area?

I know that I really like Glocks. I have shot the 17, 19, 26, 27, 31, and 33. I personally like the feel and weight of the compact and subcompact over the standard. However, my experience with handguns doesn't go far beyond Glock. The only other handguns I have shot are the S&W 8" .45 magnum revolver, and the S&W snub-nose .357 special (loved both of those guns). Anyone fimiliar with Glocks, and have any opinions on them in comparison to other guns?

Guest strelcevina

Glock are great.

But i would still recommend little .38/357mag snubnose revolver.

it is simple and safe to use, and as bonus it is easy to concealed carry.

img1231714423175.jpg?t=1270859593

Guest bkelm18
Ok then.

Sounds like really good advice, I will have to see if I can find a good range that rents guns. Anybody know of one in the Chattanooga area?

I know that I really like Glocks. I have shot the 17, 19, 26, 27, 31, and 33. I personally like the feel and weight of the compact and subcompact over the standard. However, my experience with handguns doesn't go far beyond Glock. The only other handguns I have shot are the S&W 8" .45 magnum revolver, and the S&W snub-nose .357 special (loved both of those guns). Anyone fimiliar with Glocks, and have any opinions on them in comparison to other guns?

Check out the Springfield Armory XD line of pistols. A lot like Glocks, a bit better ergonomics and safety features. If I were to go the 9mm route in Glock, I'd go with the G19. Fairly compact but still packs a large capacity.

^+1 compare ergos to a couple other popular 9mm pistols. See if a range has an springfield xd, smith & wesson m&p, and a glock 19. If you only want 'one' glock the 19 is the way to go for 9mm. Of course you said you've shot the glocks and if your comfortable with their feel then I wouldn't talk you out of it. Their my favorite, I have a 19 and a 34.

Ok then.

Carter's will rent any used handgun they have.

As far as which one... don't confine yourself to the only gun you have experience with.

They're oodles of handguns in that price range that may suit you and your needs better.

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I tried out several 9mm including Glock, Taurus, Sig, etc. All of these are great guns however I wound up purchasing the Springfield Armory XDm 9mm. This gun felt the best in my hand and I really like the ergonomics and safety features of the gun. I would recommend you give this gun a look.

I have been doing a lot of research, and am currently looking at the 9x19mm glocks (leaning towards either the compact or subcompact) and keeping glaser safety slugs to use as home protection ammo.

1) 9mm Glock would be a great choice...however, since this is a HOME defense gun, why go small??? get a full size (G17)...give yourself every advantage you can. (this goes for any other handgun types as well...revolver, pistol, doesn't matter...don't choose a compact/sub compact handgun for home defense.)

2) as others have said...flush the Glaser. it's a gimmick, and FWIW, it will still penetrate walls. check out Box O Truth.

get yourself some good, quality, JHP ammo that has been through extensive testing for LEO use. any of these would be good choices...

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)

Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

3) there's a lot more to using a gun in self defense than what's covered in safety courses... do all the reading/listening to those with actual combat experience that you can. and it wouldn't hurt to go take a class or 2...;)

sounds like you folks have really been through it lately...:rock:

good luck to you, and I hope you never end up having to use that pistol.

Edited by .45
Guest Bluemax
Glock are great.

But i would still recommend little .38/357mag snubnose revolver.

it is simple and safe to use, and as bonus it is easy to concealed carry.

img1231714423175.jpg?t=1270859593

+ 1 If you are your wife are new to guns and shooting then by all means keep it simple

1) 9mm Glock would be a great choice...however, since this is a HOME defense gun, why go small??? get a full size (G17)...give yourself every advantage you can. (this goes for any other handgun types as well...revolver, pistol, doesn't matter...don't choose a compact/sub compact handgun for home defense.)

2) as others have said...flush the Glaser. it's a gimmick, and FWIW, it will still penetrate walls. check out Box O Truth.

get yourself some good, quality, JHP ammo that has been through extensive testing for LEO use. any of these would be good choices...

9 mm:

Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)

Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)

Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)

Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)

Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP

Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

3) there's a lot more to using a gun in self defense than what's covered in safety courses... do all the reading/listening to those with actual combat experience that you can. and it wouldn't hurt to go take a class or 2...;)

sounds like you folks have really been through it lately...:rock:

good luck to you, and I hope you never end up having to use that pistol.

I want to go small so that I can carry concealed. I am going to have to start walking around chattanooga at night soon, and want a weapon I can use for home defense, and for carrying concealed.

Thanks for the list, that was really helpful.

I will have to look into this as well.

Thanks for all the info everyone, it's very nice information to have.

I want to go small so that I can carry concealed. I am going to have to start walking around chattanooga at night soon, and want a weapon I can use for home defense, and for carrying concealed.

in that case, G19, hands down. (if you're set on a Glock, that is...there are other good choices out there. Glocks are good, no doubt about it...just don't drink the :rock:) ;)

PS - welcome to the forum!!

Guest Daelith

Definitely get your wife to go with you to try some rentals. If you're only going to have one gun, you will want to get something she can use comfortably too. Is she able work the slide on a semi-auto? Can she load the magazine? Also, is she going to take any classes with you? You might be surprised. She might end up liking it. My husband and I found we really enjoy target practicing together.

I also give a thumbs up to the Springfield XDs. Hubby and I both liked it.

If you are not going to be carrying it for SD then get the biggest, baddest handgun she can handle. Don't worry about weight considerations because if she has to use it she will never feel how heavy it is. Take her to a shop or show to let her feel the guns. When she has a few she likes see if anyone you know owns one so she can shoot it or find a shop with a range that rents guns. This way she can see if she likes the way it shoots as well as the most important reason, how well she can shoot with it. What works for you and feels good to you may do just the opposite for your wife.

For most women I recommend something simple without a lot of controls. A revolver would work as well as a pistol as long as it doesn't have any external controls, Glock or something similar would be perfect so long as her hands were big enough to get a decent grip. The advantage goes to a pistol for the capacity and with most modern designs, reliability is on par with any revolver. As far as the caliber, anything is better than nothing. I carry a 9mm everyday and feel confident in its ability but I do have it loaded with 147 grain GDHP's at just shy of 1200 FPS.

You might also consider a pistol caliber carbine. They are very intuitive to shoot for most shooters and recoil as well as noise is lessened by the longer barrel, a definite consideration when firing inside. It also gives you a little more standoff room incase you are in a rural setting. My wife has both a pistol and a 9mm AR but most times grabs the AR if she feels she needs to grab a gun. I have heard nothing but great things about the Beretta Cx4 Storm.

As others have said, stay away from Glasers. There penetration would barely go deep enough on a skinnier person to stop them. On a heavy seat person there is no way it could reach a critical body structure unless it was a head or neck shot. A decent hollow point will work better than the Glaser, just make sure it functions flawlessly in whatever firearm she chooses. Personally, I like the heavier rounds in the winter and lighter rounds in the summer to account for clothing as well as the extra mass of people in general.

Just a few of my thoughts on the subject

Dolomite

Definitely get your wife to go with you to try some rentals. If you're only going to have one gun, you will want to get something she can use comfortably too. Is she able work the slide on a semi-auto? Can she load the magazine? Also, is she going to take any classes with you? You might be surprised. She might end up liking it. My husband and I found we really enjoy target practicing together.

I also give a thumbs up to the Springfield XDs. Hubby and I both liked it.

I want to get two guns. One for myself, and one for her. She is a very strong woman, and is more than capable of handling an automatic, she also isn't skittish around guns, because her daddy taught her how to be safe with them (her dad is a smart man, he believed in gun-proofing the child, not gun-proofing the home). However for her I was leaning towards (as suggested here) a DA snub nose .357 or .40. Easy to use, low maintenance, PLUS you don't have to worry about cycling mags so that you don't get spring wear.

Any class I take, She'll take. Also we will definitely both be going to the range, (hopefully once a month at first, I really would like to get used to the gun quickly, and I want to teach her how to properly shoot a pistol) it shouldn't be a problem though because She likes guns, especially rifles (BIG fan of the 30-06 that she used to hunt with) just have to get her used to pistols.

Hmm, it seems I have going to have to give the XD's a really good look, see what it's like.

BTW - .45 Thanks for the welcome!

Edited by RedSuinit

GT distributers on rossville blvd is where you need to go...they have the best prices, GA tax, and the transfer to TN is only $25 with no wait.

They have GP100, SP101, and Smith and Wesson revolvers right at the $400 mark.

PM me if you want more info, advice, or need a place to shoot them.

Any good brand of JHP will work.

And do find a rental range and see what works for both you and your wife!

She may want or need something different than a Glock.

If one gun for both of you then you both have to agree on it and then get training/practice with it.

Keep safe and be well.

for any defense at all dont settle for a 9mm IMHO and i also say check out the XD line

Don't know if I agree with that. There are better rounds, but a 9 isn't exactly a pea shooter. Some folks handle a 9 better than the bigger stuff, and shot placement is a biggie. I'm a big fan of the .45 ACP, but some don't like the recoil, and it impacts their shot placement.