St. Thomas Hospital in Nashville

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

They have the legal postings at all car entrances/entrance roads. That way they can ban them even in their parking lots. Bummer I know.

Guest Broomhead

A good knife works too. Anything under 4" isn't a weapon in TN.

Even better would be a knife that you could attach to your walking stick. That would be bad ass!

Guest crotalus01

Think again. I own a number of switchblades and even the 2 inch blade one is illegal for carry (even smaller than a letter opener and about as dull, but that button/spring combination makes it a Killer just like black and a bayonette lug on a rifle make them Assault Weapons)...

Guest Broomhead
Think again. I own a number of switchblades and even the 2 inch blade one is illegal for carry (even smaller than a letter opener and about as dull, but that button/spring combination makes it a Killer just like black and a bayonette lug on a rifle make them Assault Weapons)...

Whoops, Looks like the Technicality Police have shown up. I'm sorry officer, I should have excluded Switchblades from my post. Take me to Technicality Jail please. Put the Technical Cuffs on me, and put me in the Technical Cruiser. I have done a bad, bad thing.

i must have missed those signs driving onto the property. I have been there almost every day for the last week and have been carrying. I know there are no signs at the entrance to the parking garage or as you walk into the hospital from the garage. I turn on the road between Taco Bell and the hospital that takes you to the parking garage. I have not seen a sign on that road. i will have to double check.

Edited by KahrMan
Guest Broomhead

I'm not sure if it is on that road, being a city street and not hospital property. However, there is one when you turn onto the property from Harding at the light just past/before Taco Bell. It is the same sign that I have seen popping up at parks here recently. White sign, small, black lettering, roughly 10"x12". It is posted on the right side of the road, just past the stop sign, after the light.

Because of the signs on the hospital owned roads, they don't have to have signs at the entrances to either the parking garages or the hospital itself. By law they are covered by the other signs.

Edited by Broomhead
Guest 6.8 AR

Hospitals are off limits to gun carry, or so sayeth my wife. Some federal regulation I think. I don't know about sign requirements, though.

You can bet on all hospitals being a weapons free area, not only because of the narcs but quite simply, it's against their mission. They see enough of the gun and knife club on friday and saturday night in the E.D. If a problem develops inside you can bet on someone getting a shot of lights out medicine

Because of the signs on the hospital owned roads, they don't have to have signs at the entrances to either the parking garages or the hospital itself. By law they are covered by the other signs.

I believe they have to have signs at all entrances to be legal. You can not just have signs on one side of a building. They have to have signs where ever people normally go into the property or building.

Guest Broomhead
I believe they have to have signs at all entrances to be legal. You can not just have signs on one side of a building. They have to have signs where ever people normally go into the property or building.

39-17-1359 - "If the possession of weapons is also prohibited on the premises of the property as well as within the confines of a building located on the property, the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property."

Therefore, they can ban all weapons on their property by simply posting signs at all entrances to the property. This would be all the ways that a car can enter the property.

Yep, but that's one of those letter-of-the-law battles that I personally wouldn't pick.

• 1 year later...

Old thread resurection.

With the new law, doesn't St.Thomas have to show a gun buster sign before they can prosecute you? I have no intention of wearing my gun inside the building, just wondering with the new law if their little sign with small lettering that's impossible to read while going down that road with traffic behind you is still legally binding.

Old thread resurection.

With the new law, doesn't St.Thomas have to show a gun buster sign before they can prosecute you? I have no intention of wearing my gun inside the building, just wondering with the new law if their little sign with small lettering that's impossible to read while going down that road with traffic behind you is still legally binding.

The statute, in part:

--------

" (3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

(:) As used in this section, "language substantially similar to" means the sign contains language plainly stating that:

(i) The property is posted under authority of Tennessee law;

(ii) Weapons or firearms are prohibited on the property, in the building, or on the portion of the property or building that is posted; and

(iii) Possessing a weapon in an area that has been posted is a criminal offense.

© A building, property or a portion of a building or property, shall be considered properly posted in accordance with this section if one (1) or both of the following is displayed in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon possession is prohibited:

(i) The international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle; or

(ii) The posting sign described in this subdivision (:lol:(3)."

-------

No guarantee that a simple "no guns" sign wouldn't get you arrested, though.

On the other hand, we've found no one that has been charged with carrying past a sign yet, period.

- OS

I don't know of anyone who has been arrested either. I really don't know exactly what St.Thomas's says, you can't read it unless you stop your vehicle right beside it and if you do that you will cause road rage from the 5 cars behind you going down the same road.