Suppose I wanted to buy a 7.62 rifle of some sort...

TGO David

• Administrator

What would the consensus vote be? I'm guessing an AK platform. If that is the case, which one?

I'm thinking ahead to Nov of 2008 when the philosopher-kings of America decide that we conservative gun owners have had our day in the sun and that our inalienable rights aren't worth the paper they were inscribed upon by our forefathers. What, you think that the GOP will retain power? Maybe. I'm not banking on it thanks to the bumbling of George W. during his second term.

So help me decide! I want a 7.62 to keep alongside my 5.56 and I want one that won't suck.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

There's the SKS if you want to go the old commie route. Of course the AK. You can buy a Russian made Saiga AK hunting rifle (no pistol grip, doesn't take standard AK mags) and convert it into a real AK variant (with pistol grip and AK style stock, will take standard AK mags). Costs about $400 bucks total and you'd have a true Russian AK variant. I'm not uber knowledgeable with AKs so I'm sure others will chime in. Arsenal seems to be the "cream of the crop" when it comes to AKs with a price tag to match.

Yeah, the PTR has been tempting me just because I'm an HK fanboi.

hahaha... I hear you. The only HK rifles I will be owning will be Clones. :cool:

When you think about... they are just stamp metal guns. Why there aren't more people making really good copies is beyond me.

Guest EasilyObsessed

For a fun target rifle in 7.62/308

http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/category.aspx?id=9

My cousin also mentioned that one of the guys on his team uses a Garand w/ an EOTech as his entry weapon :cool:

For a SHTF rifle....cant go wrong with almost any variant of AK47. Mine is a Maadi that I bought used from CHR on here, and it has been reliable through a few hundred rounds so far and is surprisingly accurate.

NEW LIMITED RUN AK OPTION. ROMAINIAN AK-HGM

crletter-135.jpg-crletter%20136.jpg

crletter%20134.jpg

WE TOOK A FEW OF OUR MOST SELECT ROMAINIAN AK RIFLE KITS AND HAD THEM CUSTOM ASSEMBLED FOR US BY HEAVY METAL GUNS INTO THE MOST ORIGINAL ROMAINIAN AK RIFLE VARIATION AVAILABLE TODAY. THESE G CODE RIFLES ARE ASSEMBLED ON ORIGINAL HI-CAP U.S. MADE SEMI-AUTO NODAK RECEIVERS. THESE RECEIVERS ARE ORIGINAL FACTORY HI-CAPS MUCH LIKE THE SAR-1 VARIATIONS WHICH ARE NO LONGER IMPORTABLE. FEATURES A U.S. MADE TRIGGER SET AND COMES COMPLETE WITH 2 U.S. MADE 30 ROUND MAGS. THE U.S. MAGS COMPLETE THE PARTS COUNT TO KEEP THIS RIFLE 922R COMPLIANT. THESE ARE PREMIUM OUALITY RIFLES. WE WERE HAVING SOME OF THESE DONE FROM TIME TO TIME BY REQUEST FOR SOME LOCAL FOLKS AND THEY WERE SO POPULAR WE DECIDED TO DO A SMALL RUN TO OFFER ON THE SITE. ONLY ABOUT 25 AVAILABLE. WITH 2 MAGS, SLING AND OILER

ASK FOR PRODUCT CODE. #ROM-AK HMG..... $349.95

NEW ROM-AK HMG SHOOTERS PACKAGE.

crletter%20138.jpg

SINCE WE INTRODUCED THE RIFLE ABOVE THEY HAVE BEEN WILDLY POPULAR. BUT A LOT OF FOLKS SAID THAT THEY WOULD LIKE AN ALL INCLUSIVE PACKAGE. SO HERE IT IS. THIS PACKAGES SHIPS TO THE DEALER EXACTLY AS YOU SEE ABOVE. INCLUDES THE ROMAINIAN G-CODE HEAVY METAL GUNS RIFLE,

2- U.S. MADE 30 RD PRO-MAGS. SLING, OILER, ROMAINIAN BAYONET WITH SHEATH, AND 100 ROUNDS OF AMMO. ENTIRE PACKAGE SHIPS IN A HARDSHELL CASE. THIS IS THE ULTIMATE SHOOTERS PACKAGE.

ASK FOR THE ROM-HMG S.P. ------------399.95 classicarms.us

My vote would be for an M1 Garand or M1A (perhaps a SOCOM-II)... If the carbine base is already covered, you're just looking for something that will hit hard a long way out, so it makes sense to get a rifle that will do what you ask of it. Another option might be an AR10 type from RRA, Armalite, Bushmaster, or DPMS. The AK FAL and HK91 options would be more desireable if it was going to be your only rifle, and would be more likely to be called upon to do close-in work.

When you say 7.62, are you talking 7.62NATO or 7.62x39? Big difference there.

Do you want a semi-auto or a bolt?

What do you want to do with the gun?

If it were me, I'd look for a Polish underfolder AK with wood foregrip by Ironwood. But that's me.

Price is obviously a big consideration. In .308 the top dogs are the Springfield M14 clones and the HK G3. At the cheap end is the Saiga .308.

In 7.62x39 the cheap end is the SKS (I've got one for $150) while the high end is the Arsenal Bulgarian AKs. CZ makes a bolt carbine in that caliber.

if it were me? I'd get an m1a rifle, or an m1 garand.

the garand might be an old service rifle, but it'll outshoot an ak any day of the week at any range you want it to. It might be more expensive but I can assure you, you get what you pay for.

the same can be said for the m1a rifle.

The reason I would think for 7.62 would be to engage targets at greater than 300 yards with great accuracy. the m1a will do that. so will the Garand.

the ak? not so much.

now me? personally? I would pick the m1a or a good ar platform in 7.62...but thats because I know how to sight them in, they're extremely accurate, while they weigh a bit more its not like you're humping an SA51 (thats an 11lb battle rifle!).

x 54 R: http://www.dragunov.net/rifles.htm

x 51 would have to be a M1A: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?clicktype=rifles

or a DSA FAL:

http://www.dsarms.com/

x39 definately Vepr Good luck finding one..Gunbroker probably your best bet

or Arsenal: http://www.arsenalinc.com/about.htm

The Vepr is a 1.5 MOA Kalashnikov(I have personally done that). The Arsenal is the finest non custom-built readily available AK money can buy. That said, if I could only get one of these choices it would probably be the M1A and then the FAL. If another AWB happens the value of all of these already expensive choices will explode.

Guest DonRickles
x 54 R: http://www.dragunov.net/rifles.htm

x 51 would have to be a M1A: http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?clicktype=rifles

or a DSA FAL:

http://www.dsarms.com/

x39 definately Vepr Good luck finding one..Gunbroker probably your best bet

or Arsenal: http://www.arsenalinc.com/about.htm

The Vepr is a 1.5 MOA Kalashnikov(I have personally done that). The Arsenal is the finest non custom-built readily available AK money can buy. That said, if I could only get one of these choices it would probably be the M1A and then the FAL. If another AWB happens the value of all of these already expensive choices will explode.

I would have to add a SKS or two to that list but other than that +1!

I went with the Saiga option, even though I have a Romanian SAR-1.

The Saiga is a brand new AK action, and can be easily converted to a pistol grip if you prefer. On a rainy day like today, the conversion is a good indoor project. I haven't yet because the pistol grip gets too much attention from LE and politicians. I am leaning toward getting a second Saiga, and converting it to pistol grip.

I have Saiga's in .223 (for all that Wolf ammo I have), 7.62x39 and 2 in .308.

The 7.62 will use typical AK mags, but with a minor change to the rifle or mag. Before you can use normal capacity mags, you have to make it 822 compliant. For me, they are just too reliable, and cost effective not to have.

Yes, .308s are plentiful, but I've always wanted one in 7.62X39. Even DPMS ships 10 round mags with their rifles, and don't even offer anything with a higher capacity. I have seen 25 round mags for 7.62X39 ARs, but they are few and far between.

:bowrofl: My 7.62 X (big azz) DPMS came with two 19 round magazines.

• 1 month later...

My DPMS 308 was just little above your stated amount. I love it. It was voted rifle of the year for 2006 by American Rifleman (NRA) magazine. I got mine from Rabbi at East Side Guns. He is a member of this forum. Knights Armament and DPMS were both

considered for the new Army SASS platform. The Knights got the contract. But my

cronies at Ft. Benning told me they were both equal and rumours of the good ol'boy

network. A lot of guy's in the AMU use RRA in 223 and DPMS in 308.