What kind of lock box?

Guest m&pc9

Guest m&pc9

My daughter is getting ready to move out. I am going to give her a M&P for protection. I would like to get her a lock box to keep it in while she is at work or away from home. Would a Sentry fire box be enough, But I would like to bolt it down somewhere. Also she will be renting so I dont think bolting it to the floor would be an option.

Any Ideas?

I will make sure I have serial numbers so if anything should happen.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

I've heard guys on here, I think, say that if they can't bolt something to a car, they get those mega-cable locks to attach a box to the mounting rack under the seat, because it's unlikely they brought the right tools to detach the seat from the undercarriage AND they can move it from car to car.

I've heard guys on here, I think, say that if they can't bolt something to a car, they get those mega-cable locks to attach a box to the mounting rack under the seat, because it's unlikely they brought the right tools to detach the seat from the undercarriage AND they can move it from car to car.

Is that what you mean? I've been looking at these for a while now.

In Car Gun Safe

Guest m&pc9

I dont think I made it clear she will have to leave it in her apartment until she gets her permit. But I can see how that box would work. You could run the cable through the bed or attach it the the dresser.

That is a nice looking box.

cable lock is a good idea. I have one in the truck for when i unexpectedly have to leave a handgun in the truck for other than very brief periods. Loops the cable on the seat frame then through the frame of the gun. I am not so sure most smash and grab types carry bolt cutters with them.

I have one of the Center of Mass boxes in my truck, and I think it works great. In an apartment you could lock it to something (like maybe a water pipe?) to keep it secure.

More of value in a car, I'd think, where thief hopefully won't have time or the tools to cut cable. Then again, I guess a pro would probably have the tool.

- OS

I used mine this very morning, as had to go into a federal building (which was unposted with no scrutiny as it turned out).

LSideView1911.jpg

- OS

I've got one of those in my truck as well as my wife's truck. Have also bought one for my father. They're not theft-proof by any means, but it sure helps to hinder their efforts.

Sounds like hiding it might be the best option rather than a lock box .It would be very conspicuous and tempting to a would be thief to see a locked box tethered to some immobile object . And let a decent renters insurance policy cover any fire or theft issues.

We are not talking about her containing a prized collection of antique or irreplaceable guns here we are talking about one home defense tool.

Guest m&pc9
Sounds like hiding it might be the best option rather than a lock box .It would be very conspicuous and tempting to a would be thief to see a locked box tethered to some immobile object . And let a decent renters insurance policy cover any fire or theft issues.

We are not talking about her containing a prized collection of antique or irreplaceable guns here we are talking about one home defense tool.

I think you are on to something with this.

• 4 weeks later...
And let a decent renters insurance policy cover any fire or theft issues.

Sorry for mini-thread revival but,

Careful, I would find out from the insurance company exactly what they will and won't cover and for how much before I assume something, learning that lesson myself the hard way :D

Anybody ever use these or anything from this company..........

Console Vault-Vehicles Products - Worry-Free Travel Gear for your peace of mind - Travel Gear, Anti-theft Travel Accessories & Travel Safety Tips

or this

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/transporter-portable-safe-p-780.html

or even this

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/catalog/security-lock-p-807.html

these look plenty sturdy, more so than the center of mass. The do have a much more sturdy price too, however.........

Edited by hardknox00001
I think you are on to something with this.

You can pull back a corner of the carpet in a closet for a great hiding spot.

It's great for cash, keys, jewelry, or anything else that wont leave a bulge.

For a gun, you might want to throw an old shirt or something over it just in case a thief decides to look in her closet, he won't see the bulge.

Same can be applied to your car with even greater effectiveness.

Every car has it's own bumps and bulges under the caret.

Installing car stereos, I've seen my fair sare of car break-ins.

Never have I seen carpet pulled back by a thief to see what was under a bulge...

Sorry for mini-thread revival but,

Careful, I would find out from the insurance company exactly what they will and won't cover and for how much before I assume something, learning that lesson myself the hard way ;)

Anybody ever use these or anything from this company..........

Console Vault-Vehicles Products - Worry-Free Travel Gear for your peace of mind - Travel Gear, Anti-theft Travel Accessories & Travel Safety Tips

or this

Transporter Portable Safe by Corporate Travel Safety (Free Shipping) - Car Safes/Security - CorporateTravelSafety.com

or even this

Security Lock Box by Corporate Travel Safety (Free Shipping) - Firearm Security - CorporateTravelSafety.com

these look plenty sturdy, more so than the center of mass. The do have a much more sturdy price too, however.........

The console vaults are really nice. A friend of mine has one in his f150.

The console vaults are really nice. A friend of mine has one in his f150.

I was thinking about one for my F250 but I am not sure if I want to lose all that storage space. I have really important things in there, like asprin, napkins, various device chargers, etc. Might look at the one that goes in the spot but doesn't take up the whole area.

Edited by hardknox00001