Teacher hit student Franklin Co

Guest clsutton21

Guest clsutton21

I searched, but didn't find it here so I was curious about what you all thought about it. This is a story about a teacher in Franklin Co, where I went to high school, supposedly hit a student. You be the judge, my opinions would probably get me banned, but I will say that teacher in our county's school system have had numerous problems with this "group" of students and this man bears the brunt of most of the comments and racial slurs this group hands out. He handled it much better than I would have.

Teacher suspended for hitting, pushing student - WKRN, Nashville, Tennessee News, Weather, and Sports |

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

While I understand where you are coming from and I do realize that there is more to this story than this one incident, he probably went to far. If he would have spread his arms out and "corralled" them over away from the door, that would have been fine, if he would have grabbed her shoulders and moved her where she needed to go, an open hand on her back to move her back to where she needed to be, then fine, but he threw a forearm and grabbed her around the back of the neck. Not violently, but he did do it. I bet it doesn't end well for him.

With that said, I would be willing to bet, that he has put up with more crap than he deserves, before this event ever started. I would be willing to bet, he is a strict, no nonsense kinda of teacher, but has had his dignity stripped from him. The kids today, have no fear, have no respect for teachers, because they know they aren't going to get into trouble, which tells them to have no respect for anyone and is a problem today, and will be a bigger problem in the future.

I hate to see something like this.

Guest 6.8 AR

I don't think Mr Jolly did anything wrong. They wouldn't move away

when he requested, and he didn't get violent with anyone. The students were being beligerent with him by not doing what was requested. He is an "old school" teacher who understands right and wrong and is confronted with students that don't respect

much. When I was in high school, if I did something like that, I

probably would have been grabbed harder and shoved away, too.

That story was aired to give the student and mother a lawsuit.

Shame on them! When are people going to grow up? I also heard by a friend that Mr. Jolly took a spill during the incident. Didn't see that in the video, did we?. So much for that.

I don't think Mr Jolly did anything wrong. They wouldn't move away

when he requested, and he didn't get violent with anyone. The students were being beligerent with him by not doing what was requested. He is an "old school" teacher who understands right and wrong and is confronted with students that don't respect

much. When I was in high school, if I did something like that, I

probably would have been grabbed harder and shoved away, too.

That story was aired to give the student and mother a lawsuit.

Shame on them! When are people going to grow up? I also heard by a friend that Mr. Jolly took a spill during the incident. Didn't see that in the video, did we?. So much for that.

I agree.

If people saw how I got treated by some of the teachers in school, they would probably say I was regularly tortured and/or beaten. My opinion is that I got what I deserved, and each time I did something wrong I knew what I was going to get as punishment. Believe it or not, this taught me the fact that there are consequences for my actions, and that I should have respect for others:stunned:. Personally I think that's one fairly important thing to learn for the future, and it's one that teachers aren't allowed to teach anymore.

Guest db99wj

Just to clarify, I agree with you guys. My point is these kids don't have respect today, and get away with everything, with no consequences. While to me, what he did was no big deal, it will be a big deal on how this plays out. He should be told, "don't do that again" and that's it, but he will probably, at a minimum, lose his job, which is unfortunate.

Just to clarify, I agree with you guys. My point is these kids don't have respect today, and get away with everything, with no consequences. While to me, what he did was no big deal, it will be a big deal on how this plays out. He should be told, "don't do that again" and that's it, but he will probably, at a minimum, lose his job, which is unfortunate.

You're right as well. It always comes down to what SHOULD happen, and what WILL happen being the complete opposite.

Guest clsutton21

I did forget to mention that the grabbing behind the neck thing is how he meets everyone. He's been doing that since the early 70's when my mom had him class.

Also a few facts that I got from teachers at the scene:

The girl pulled on his tie, which you don't see in the video.

After the video was over, the group of them shouted, "We got him! We got him!" It was apparently a set up.

And as for the assistant principal on scene, I had him as a student there. Coach Sons was one of my favorite teachers at the school. He was nice, smart, and respectful. I know he wouldn't have stood by if he thought any wrongdoing was going on.

Edited by clsutton21

He appears to be joking with the girl and it wasn't a WWE-style beat-down by any stretch. But, he put his hands on her multiple times and that is a NO-NO! Bad judgement on his part. A quick and sincere apology on his part just might save his job, but nothing will save him from the impending lawsuit.

I did forget to mention that the grabbing behind the neck thing is how he meets everyone. He's been doing that since the early 70's when my mom had him class.

After the video was over, the group of them shouted, "We got him! We got him!" It was apparently a set up.

And as for the assistant principle on scene, I had him as a student there. Coach Sons was one of my favorite teachers at the school. He was nice, smart, and respectful. I know he wouldn't have stood by if he thought any wrongdoing was going on.

Most likely it was a setup, and the kids were just looking for a chance to cost him his job because he was trying to make them learn something so they could get a job in the future, which most likely none of them plan to do. I don't mean that because of race either, it's just the general way of thinking of alot of kids these days from what I've seen. When I was a kid, we dreamed of growing up to become doctors, lawyers, astronauts, things like that. Kids these days seem to dream of growing up to get on welfare or disability, so they do not approve of a teacher who tries to make them learn and follow rules.

I've been grabbed by teachers in a similar manner before, and usually when they did this it meant that I was doing something I shouldn't have been doing, but they did it in a semi-joking manner as he seemed to be doing in this case. Others have whipped me with rubber paddles, wooden paddles, thrown chairs at me, coffee cups, several other things here and there. Every case was my fault for disobeying simple rules, and the extreme cases were completely provoked by ME, so I never even considered taking any action against them for these things. I can look back on all of it now with them and laugh about it, because they know they were able to teach me lessons about life that I was sometimes to hard headed to try to learn.

Things like this cause the schools to lose what may be a good teacher (I don't know because I don't know him personally), and also take just a little more away from other teachers ability to get students to learn right from wrong. Whether people realize it or not, this is part of why the quality of teachers keeps dropping more and more in the public school system. Teachers these days don't even remember their student's names, even though they have them in class every day.

He appears to be joking with the girl and it wasn't a WWE-style beat-down by any stretch. But, he put his hands on her multiple times and that is a NO-NO! Bad judgement on his part. A quick and sincere apology on his part just might save his job, but nothing will save him from the impending lawsuit.

I agree. The world has gone to hell. I had serious pain inflicted by teachers, and as far as I'm concerned, they had the right.

What I find telling is the so called "victim" siad she only acted the way she did because everyone was laughing. When she got home she was "distraught" and "crying". The only problem is she repeatedly went back time and time again causing the issue and then back into him at the end when he "hit" her. They should have all been lined up and spanked IMO ...... by their parents. Had I been seen on that video the last concern my parents would have had was the teachers actions in that video.

I am old school also. I have had my share of teachers/coaches being physical with me back in the day, but that was me. I don't want anyone laying a hand on any of my kids. My children have been raised right and if they get out of hand (which has rarely happened) their teachers know that I will correct them. Adults keep your hands to yourselves.

Why do you think that they call it the "Me" generation?

These kids are horrible today, but no adult should put their hands on someone elses kid with the exception of a principle giving a paddling for a flagrant violation. I am sure those kids are buttholes (show me a group of teens that aren't), but that guy was out of line. There is no way that I could be a teacher, because I know that I would want to knock the crap out of one of those kids on a daily basis. THEY HAVE NO FEAR!

Guest drv2fst

My favorite teacher paddled me in school for acting disrespectful. I clearly deserved it. I respected him then and even more now. Currently, he is the headmaster at my sons school. I was very happy when he took the job. Kids need parents and teachers to keep them on the correct path. How can we expect kids to turn out well if we won't let anyone raise them with respect and discipline?

I don't care what my kids do, if a teacher ever put a hand on them, I would personally beat them to within an inch of their lives.

Teaching discipline is my job, and my job alone. If my kid can't be handled by the school system they have the option to kick them out of school. They do not have the option to physically discipline my child.

Because I do my job properly, I don't have to worry about it though. My kids know that their teachers aren't to touch them, but if it ever came even close to necessary, they know they would have to answer to me.

I hope the teacher loses his job, and gets an ass whoopin' to boot.

Guest 6.8 AR

And as for the assistant principal on scene, I had him as a student there. Coach Sons was one of my favorite teachers at the school. He was nice, smart, and respectful. I know he wouldn't have stood by if he thought any wrongdoing was going on.

A friend I work with, that lives there, told me the same thing you just posted. :rolleyes:

It just looks like Channel 2 and that lawyer is looking to stir the pot and give someone a payday for no reason.

My favorite teacher paddled me in school for acting disrespectful. I clearly deserved it. I respected him then and even more now. Currently, he is the headmaster at my sons school. I was very happy when he took the job. Kids need parents and teachers to keep them on the correct path. How can we expect kids to turn out well if we won't let anyone raise them with respect and discipline?

I never got spanked at school....yet I still turned out well :rolleyes:

I don't care what my kids do, if a teacher ever put a hand on them, I would personally beat them to within an inch of their lives.

Teaching discipline is my job, and my job alone. If my kid can't be handled by the school system they have the option to kick them out of school. They do not have the option to physically discipline my child.

Because I do my job properly, I don't have to worry about it though. My kids know that their teachers aren't to touch them, but if it ever came even close to necessary, they know they would have to answer to me.

This attitude is what is wrong with schools now. When schools could discipline students you did not see all the things going on that we see today. No one wants their kid disciplined a school anymore and the kids know they can get away with anything.

I agree that discipline is the parents job but in so many cases this does not happen. I got whipped at school many times and got it again when I got home. I deserved it every time and it made me a better person.

This attitude is what is wrong with schools now. When schools could discipline students you did not see all the things going on that we see today. No one wants their kid disciplined a school anymore and the kids know they can get away with anything.

I agree that discipline is the parents job but in so many cases this does not happen. I got whipped at school many times and got it again when I got home. I deserved it every time and it made me a better person.

Don't want to get into an argument on here over this kinda issue, but I have to agree with your stand on it. I understand a parent not wanting any harm to come to their children. However, if you leave your kids with a family member or other type of baby sitter, are they not allowed to discipline your child? By sending your kids to public school, in a way it means that you are trusting the teachers to help raise your kids. With this in mind, if you spank your kids at home, then you should allow and trust the teachers enough to allow them to be spanked as well. If you can not trust the teachers to discipline them in the same way that you would, then you should pull your kids from that school and have them home schooled. I also know that alot of parents don't spank their kids anymore. Things like grounding them from video games for a week, or not going out with their friends, DO work at home. However, these are not punishments that can realistically be used in schools.

On topic of the situation at hand though, I think the actual event in question is getting lost in the thread here. The teacher regularly puts his hand on people's necks. I know several people who do this, even had teachers in school who did this. Pretty much every time, even if I was doing something wrong, when this was done it was done in a joking manner of sorts. This to me is kinda obvious in this case, as everyone was smiling at the time. So to him this situation started out as a fairly easy going situation, but the students chose to change it around on him in order to get him in trouble.

I shall leave now, as I do not have children and my opinion is based solely on my experiences from school and how it taught me important lessons in life and made me a better person in the long run.

I disagree. It's the parents that don't discipline their kids that's the problem. It is not the schools' job to do what parents should be doing. And because of that, if the kids are out of control, send their sorry little butts home. If the parent doesn't rectify the situation, the kid can stay home.

There is only one other person who has a right to lay a hand on my children, and she gave birth to them. Other than that, you better keep your hands in your pockets.

That's great. But 90%+ of kids in school systems don't have a parent who tells them anything ANYWHERE close to that.

Here's my beef. If you don't want your kids disciplined, then don't put them in public school. If you think only you should discipline them, then keep them at home where you can do all their teaching. Teachers, and even more so, administers, are so scared of parents raising a ruckus, even though the kids are badly misbehaving, that they won't even put them in detention. It should be your kid goes over the line and he's out of school. That simple because with discipline, it really is that simple. Seemed to work for my parent's parents, and for me with my parents.

Matthew