A Disaster Of Mega Proportions Brewing In Gulf

Guest KarlS

Well, no way to really know, but the flow "looks" like it hasn't diminished at all, just coming out over a wider area around the "top hat".

I understand vaguely that they'll need to close the "vents".

Hope that doesn't blow the whole shebang right off so that things are back to the actually increased flow after the "giant shears".

I remain "pessimistic".

- OS

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, no way to really know, but the flow "looks" like it hasn't diminished at all, just coming out over a wider area around the "top hat".

I understand vaguely that they'll need to close the "vents".

Hope that doesn't blow the whole shebang right off so that things are back to the actually increased flow after the "giant shears".

I remain "pessimistic".

- OS

Me too. They could have lashed the cap down with cables. They could have sealed around that flange (they know the exact dimensions). I'm starting to believe that you have a bunch of engineers that can't fix their own cars. I've known several of those over the years. It seems like there is NO out-of-the-box thinking going on.

They will have numbers once they measure the amount of oil they're collecting, but the flow estimate is so wild that they won't know how much is getting loose.

They will have numbers once they measure the amount of oil they're collecting, but the flow estimate is so wild that they won't know how much is getting loose.

Yeah.

Initially BP was claiming 5,000 barrels of oil/per day total spew.

Then they claimed around middle of May, when they inserted the first tube in, that they were getting 5,000 barrels to the SURFACE per day. When you could tell that the spew wasn't visually reduced AT ALL.

I think that "claim" lasted actually less than 24 hours.

I'm beginning to agree that James Cameron and Bruce Willis might be a better bet.

- OS

Guest jackdm3

To the optimist, the glass is half full.

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.

To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Yeah.

Initially BP was claiming 5,000 barrels of oil/per day total spew.

Then they claimed around middle of May, when they inserted the first tube in, that they were getting 5,000 barrels to the SURFACE per day. When you could tell that the spew wasn't visually reduced AT ALL.

I think that "claim" lasted actually less than 24 hours.

I'm beginning to agree that James Cameron and Bruce Willis might be a better bet.

- OS

I wouldn't hire those guys to design a 100' tower.

Guest 6.8 AR

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said that penalties eventually leveled against BP would be based on how much oil has been spilled, and the government will use its own figures.

That seems real productive. Penalize 'em for working to fix the problem. I'd be worrying about this, later. I doubt a penny of the penalties will go to the gulf coast victims.

Man I stared at them starring for way too long.

Anyway, FOXNews.com - Coast Guard: Cap on Damaged Well Stopping up to 462,000 Gallons of Oil Daily

Sounds like, according to that Admirable, or Admiral as you guys put it, the cap is taking in 462,000 gallons a day, which is way better than none.

If you look at the video, it still looks like it is spewing a ton of oil.

The total estimated output was 700,000+ before they cut the riser. So, they may only be getting half. Isn't half the root word of halfassed?

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said that penalties eventually leveled against BP would be based on how much oil has been spilled, and the government will use its own figures.

That seems real productive. Penalize 'em for working to fix the problem. I'd be worrying about this, later. I doubt a penny of the penalties will go to the gulf coast victims.

They're not penalizing them for working to fix the problem. They will penalize them for creating the problem to begin with. Given the fact that a large number of Gulf Coast residents would lynch them on the courthouse lawn right now, I don't feel that the feds are being overly harsh. Besides, the penalty is statutory.

Guest db99wj
The total estimated output was 700,000+ before they cut the riser. So, they may only be getting half. Isn't half the root word of halfassed?

:dropjaw::lol: