Shooting problem.....

Guest Boogieman

Guest Boogieman

Came back from the range today a little upset. I haven't been shooting all of my life or anything but I've had my fair share of range trips with my dad. My wife and I went out to fire her Phoenix HP22 for the first time and I brought my Sigma 9mm to do some shooting as well. For some reason I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my 9mm. Shooting my dads SW99 I am spot on at 7 to 15 yards, the same with his Taurus 45, his Walther P22 and my wifes Phoenix HP22. Is there something about the functionality of the 9mm round that I am missing? The gun itself functions flawlessly so it has to be me. I have heard that the 9mm is a "snappy" recoil where 40 and 45 are more of a "push". Is there something I can do to remedy this? I hate to have a gun that I cannot shoot with accuracy. I plan to move up to a 40 in the future in any case but I'd hate to have a gun in the safe that I can't shoot worth a damn. Any ideas? :D

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely it is the stark difference in the trigger pull of the sigma vs the other firearms you have named. The sigma has a very stout DA trigger pull, and you are most likely just pulling off your shots. Trigger control is paramount on that weapon more so that most. It will soften up over time as you put more rounds though it, but it wont ever be light by any means.

Were you shooting low left with your right hand as the strong hand? If so, you are anticipating the shot and are pulling the gun down when you expect to hear the bang. Get some dummy rounds and mix in with your mag. If you are doing that, the dummy rounds will help point it out when you hit one and flinch. In the meantime, practice dry firing.

What Metalhead said. That Sigma is very difficult to shoot well.

As to the difference between cartridges, the 9 and 45 have a push, the 40 is the one with a snap. The 9 should be the easiest shoot well of all of the defense rounds.

I'm sure it is all you. That said, it is all you because it takes a lot more effort to be proficient with the Sigma than it should as you are finding out. When you move between that pistol and the others you mentioned, it by far has the worst trigger. You are moving the pistol as you try and shoot it because the trigger doesn't break the same as with the other guns.

Guest Boogieman

I tried some dry firing exercises and I am indeed pulling the muzzle down when activating the trigger. I tried compensating with my aim as well as making sure I was squeezing the trigger instead of trying to pull it. It was slightly better but not enough to make me feel good about my accuracy. I love my Sigma but if I cannot get this trigger thing down I am going to end up trading or selling it. My wife has made a bargain with me that if I quit smoking I can get another gun in August. Most likely I am going with a Springfield XD in 40 S&W. I will work on getting my Sigma trigger under control between now and then and if it's still no dice by August I'll trade it towards the XD. Thanks for the advice all.

I will work on getting my Sigma trigger under control between now and then and if it's still no dice by August I'll trade it towards the XD. Thanks for the advice all.

I’m not a fan of the 9mm, but it isn't the round. It is the gun. I am a big fan of Smith & Wesson; they are and will always be #1 in handguns. But in 150 years of making guns you are bound to get a lemon; the Sigma is S&W’s black eye. The trigger is pathetic.

However… don’t turn your back on the top maker because of that dog. :cool:

Check out the M&P. Not only is it better quality than the others; but it is made here not in Croatia. (I don’t know if that matters to you; but it does to me.)

Edited by DaveTN

just another opinion here...

i suspect that it has a lot to do with the sigma trigger... they are not a bad gun, but they are priced there for a reason. as you noted, all other platforms seem to give you no problem.

suggest that instead of pushing, pulling or 'squeezing' the trigger, you try 'pressing' the trigger as if it were a button.

there should be no movement of the gun while 'pressing'.

when squeezing, you are moving all the muscles and bones in your hand. the whole platform will move.

when 'pressing' the trigger, only the trigger finger should move, and only at the the 2nd joint.

good luck to you,

I train a lot of people with a lot of different platforms. The philosophy is "the one the works for YOU is the right one". of the various platforms offered, only ones i would have and do bet my life on are present.

8 out of 10 leave with the XD or the XDM for a reason.

they really are excellent.

Guest PapaB

I haven't seen it mentioned on TGO before so, as a Sigma owner, I'd like to add a different thought on the Sigma trigger. As has been mentioned, the pull is harder than most and will smooth out with use. However, I think we're overlooking another cause of the trigger difficulty, our index finger strength. If you're used to pulling a 4 or 5 pound trigger and get a gun with an 8 or 10 pound pull, your finger may not be strong enough. If your finger isn't strong enough to pull the trigger smoothly you're likely to jerk as you try to fire the gun.

Several years ago I seriously injured my left hand in a fall. After the Doctor moved my index back between my thumb and middle finger (think about that a moment) I didn't have the strength to dimple a nerf ball with my hand. After 2 weeks of therapy I started to see improvement and several months later everything was back to normal. Here's what they had me do. All throughout the day I carried a ball, squeezing it every few seconds. As my strength increased I bought stiffer rubber balls and continued until I could squeeze equally with each of my hands.

The next time you're in a store that has a good selection of rubber balls, take one between your thumb and index finger, making sure it's tucked into the web of your hand, and squeeze it. Try a few until you find one that your index finger just barely dimples. Buy it and start exercising with it in your spare time like when walking or watching tv. You'll see a noticable difference in the feel of the Sigma trigger within 2 weeks.

Guest Boogieman

I was surfing You Tube and came across this Ruger Tactical Tips series of videos. I followed some of the advice from the instructor guy (Dave Spaulding) and wow what a difference. I changed my grip, stance and the way I pulled the trigger and saw dramatic improvement. I wonder what kind of results I could get from a gun with a lighter trigger using this new system (new to me anyway)? I am still going to sell my Sigma and get an SR9c because the SR9c seems like it would be better for concealment. I've also heard it has a sweet trigger on it (almost half as heavy as the Sigma) and it has a manual safety as well. Thanks for all of the advice guys. That and the videos have made me a much happier/better shooter.

I was surfing You Tube and came across this Ruger Tactical Tips series of videos. I followed some of the advice from the instructor guy (Dave Spaulding) and wow what a difference. I changed my grip, stance and the way I pulled the trigger and saw dramatic improvement. I wonder what kind of results I could get from a gun with a lighter trigger using this new system (new to me anyway)? I am still going to sell my Sigma and get an SR9c because the SR9c seems like it would be better for concealment. I've also heard it has a sweet trigger on it (almost half as heavy as the Sigma) and it has a manual safety as well. Thanks for all of the advice guys. That and the videos have made me a much happier/better shooter.

Glad you got something corrected. I know a little help I got from someone who knew what they were doing made a huge improvement for me as well. As for the SR9, its trigger is definitely better than the Sigmas but I've heard it is not the best out there. However it can be improved with springs and such.

A "trick" you might want to use on a gun with a heavy trigger pull is placing your finger further down on the trigger. The Sigma's trigger, like many triggers, is a lever. Placing your finger further away from the fulcrum of the lever will reduce the force needed to move it, but you will need to move it further.

Basically, if you place your finger further down the trigger, you'll get a slightly lighter but longer pull.