Got a question about the election tomorrow, I have been following the Restaurant Carry Bill, and did not know that the politics were so screwed up in TN. So my question is who are the best candidates to vote for? I live in Sevierville.

Governor,

Senate,

House,

Thanks,

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Stranger45:___________

To understand TN politics you need to understand that TN is basically divided into three separate and distinct regions (...people and territory--almost like different states...) as follows: East Tennessee-- From the Tennessee River east (...really about the Cumberland Plateau east...) is republican territory; and always has been since the Civil War. Middle Tennessee (...runs from the Cumberland Plateau about to Camden, TN, where the Tennessee River flows north toward the Ohio...) is a mix; with (...in the old days, a distinct Demorat flavor...). Luckily, that is changing due to the buildup of folks in the Williamson Co area (...and other areas im sure...) who are actually trying to better themselves and are capitalists at heart...). The rural areas appear to be a mix of old time "New Deal" Democrats who are slowly finding out the "New Demorats" are selling them into slavery. Notable exceptions to this are the inner city areas of Nashville and the other usual places where folks are "on the dole"; plus the usual boschelvic trash around the colleges. West Tennessee is dominated by the Memphis metro area which is clearly Demorat. To summarize; the further west you go and the closer to the large metro areas such as Nashville; the more Demorat things become. Having said that, there are lots of good folks living in all those areas that are waking up to what the current crop of Demorats stand for.

In modern times, Tennessee has tussled back and forth between "Blue Dog" Democrats and Republicans on the national scene. But the current trend (...since about 1970, i think...) has been that it is becoming more and more Republican at the Federal level. At the state level, things are also turning more and more Republican. The current governor (...Bredesen---) is a Demorat thru and thru, but he won on the heels of a RINO Republican (...Sundquist...) that was a dufus for sure. Bretesen is, for the most part, a pretty good fiscal policy governor; but he is a Liberal Ideologue thru and thru. He is, however, smart enough to keep quiet about it.

Now, regarding your questions:

· Governor --- I like Wamp. He is currently a republican congressman who is for the most part fiscally conservative, pro states rights and progun. I DO NOT LIKE HALSAM. SEARCH THE POSTS ON THIS FORUM FOR THE WHYS.

· Senate--- Hot topic here. Our present Senator is Lamar Alexander. He is a blue nose Republican with overbearing tendencies; but, overall, he is a rabidly partisan Republican. SEARCH THE POSTS ON THIS FORUM FOR SOME INFO AND GOUSING ABOUT HIM.

· Representatives -- The Sevierville area is in the territory of Jummy Duncan. A staunch Republican and fiscal conservative. He is a great friend to gun owners.

I'm sure others will have additional information and opinions as well. This should get you (...and them...) started.

Glad to have ya!

Kind regards,

Leroy

Leroy,

Thanks for the history lesson on TN politics, the way you broke it down is about the same as I thought it was, glad to here that mid TN is turning more Republican, I hope more of the state does the same.

I also like Wamp the more I read about him.

As far as Alexander goes I am beginning to think (as FroggyOne2 says) “I feel he needs to go†but at the same time who do we replace him with, I think with everything that is going on in Washington right now we may be better off keeping him.

As for as Jimmy Duncan goes I will keep him. :eek:

I should have made the question clearer; I was asking about TN reps not federal reps.

Thanks for the welcome.

FroggyOne2,

Thanks for your input.

Guest FroggyOne2

Well I have my reasons why am not very happy with Ramsey.. I really don't like any of the candidates at this time.. None of them are worthy of my vote.. I may seem narrow minded or of vision.. but I do have my reasons.. some would say that my reasons mean that I am voting with my wallet.. but there are some serious changes that need to be made if this state wants to be solvent quickly.. I will be one that is truly adament about one thing.. I am against social programs and welfare hand outs.. get rid of them and the state would be one of the most solvent states in the Union in my opinion..

Stranger:_________

RE: This question:

I should have made the question clearer; I was asking about TN reps not federal reps.

Depending on your address, your rep is either TN8 or TN12. Go to this link to see who is running: Tennessee Secretary of State: 2010 Candidates

For the TN8 race; . The sitting reps bio is here: Representatives - TN General Assembly.

I dem running. See advice re TN 12 below (..sorry, cant read today...). TNH08DemocratMarvin Pratt472 Norton Creek Rd., Gatlinburg 37738SEVIER

For the TN12 race; i like Montgomery (...bio here: Representatives - TN General Assembly

If you live in the TN12 district; there is a choice of Republican or Democrat. My advice, go with Montgomery. I never like to see Democrats come from the Gatlinburg Area (...no indigenous natives up there are dems...). Gary T. Eichmann (...at risk of being accused of profiling; I would opine that "Eichmann" aint a genuine East Tennessee Scotch-Irish name...) is a genuine transplant from the outside (... you get lots of that in Gatlinburg, northern folks coming down, buying property, and bringing their voting habits with them...). Eichmann is running as a Democrat. I'm biased; I never vote for a Democrat no matter how high minded and upright the rhetoric and firm the handshake; but that is just me.

Hopefully, others can post more information based on actual performance.

RE: Unhappiness with alexander. I agree. Check this link out: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/national-politics-legislation/38528-time-lamar-go.html

Check here too: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/282279-post14.html and here:http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/2nd-amendment-issues/21393-alexander-sponsors-anti-gun-bill.html

Hope this helps,

Leroy

Edited by leroy
Added lamar link(s), oops for races in district 8

FroggyOne2

LOL, I agree with you again. My thought is, if we didn’t have all the “social programs and welfare hand outs” state and federal, we would not have a lot of the problems in this country.

Leroy,

I live in TN12, so I will try and keep Montgomery.

“aint a genuine East Tennessee” we have a lot of that in Sevier Co, and I don’t think “profiling” is a bad thing, an I better just leave it at that. :cool:

FroggyOne2

LOL, I agree with you again. My thought is, if we didn’t have all the “social programs and welfare hand outs†state and federal, we would not have a lot of the problems in this country.

Leroy,

I live in TN12, so I will try and keep Montgomery.

“aint a genuine East Tennessee†we have a lot of that in Sevier Co, and I don’t think “profiling†is a bad thing, an I better just leave it at that. :)

I understand. I grew up on the knox county/sevier county line. Sevier county has experienced a population explosion in the last 30 or so years.

Lots of good people come down to east tennessee, fall in love with the area (...and the people...), and move here. I'ts a good thing!!

Again,

Glad to have ya.

Kind regards

Leroy

I like Wamp. He is currently a republican congressman who is for the most part fiscally conservative,

He voted for the Omnibus Spending Bill and both versions of Cash for Clunkers. I don't read that as fiscally conservative.

Guest oldsmobile98
Election rescheduled to Tuesday, May 18 due to flooding in Nashville.

This is true for Davidson County only. All other TN counties are holding primaries tomorrow.

Today's elections are County Primaries. The State Primaries are not until August 5th.

Today you only vote for the local goobers, so there's plenty of time to fuss over who's going to (or staying in) Nashville.

Today's elections are County Primaries. The State Primaries are not until August 5th.

Today you only vote for the local goobers, so there's plenty of time to fuss over who's going to (or staying in) Nashville.

Already did it.

Only went to vote in Rep primary against Hutchinson. Took longer to register than to vote.

It helps that my precinct is kitty corner across the street from my domicile.

- OS

Speaking of elections... does anyone know of a website (or other single source of info) that has a listing of candiates for the various offices and their positions on important topics or other general campaign info? I'd love to find something comprehensive and coherent.

Particularly for the local goobers. I know next to nothing about these people and my inability to find any worthwhile info is frustrating.

:koolaid:

Speaking of elections... does anyone know of a website (or other single source of info) that has a listing of candiates for the various offices and their positions on important topics or other general campaign info? I'd love to find something comprehensive and coherent.

Particularly for the local goobers. I know next to nothing about these people and my inability to find any worthwhile info is frustrating.

:tough:

Here's site that at least lists all imminent state wide elections, mostly with links to their own propagan...um, informational web sites, just to get you started.

Tennessee Elections, Tennessee Candidates and Politics

knoxnews.com and your own illustrious MerVille Daily Times, thedailytimes.com,will have various info links for my/your area candidates/offices.

- OS

Guest MoonMan

Great read, however I'm in the chattanooga/ooltewah area. Do you have any suggestions on who is better than others? I voted today in the local ones and it felt good to have a say so, that is what makes this nation so great

Great read, however I'm in the chattanooga/ooltewah area. Do you have any suggestions on who is better than others? I voted today in the local ones and it felt good to have a say so, that is what makes this nation so great

I'm afraid I've become pretty much an political candidate agnostic, it's been all I can muster to even vote for a lesser of evils for some time now.

Voted Libertarian in 2008, if that gives you any idea.

Our system ensures that by the time a man has a chance to win, he's unfit to serve -- and I really don't expect much difference with a Tea Party endorsed candidate either, at least for some time down the road, if then.

It's rare I even make the effort to vote AGAINST someone anymore, but with this guy Hutchinson, it was sort of personal.

So forgive me if I don't give my take on any of it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest oldsmobile98
Voted Libertarian in 1008, if that gives you any idea.

And we need to go back to the way y'all voted back then: on sheepskin parchment. I always wonder if the voting machines these days are rigged.

And we need to go back to the way y'all voted back then: on sheepskin parchment. I always wonder if the voting machines these days are rigged.

dOH.

But I DID vote for Charlemange's grandson.

- OS

Madison County primary, 6.5% turnout of registered voters.

Good news is, we got a fiscally concervative, very strong supporter of Gun Rights on the County Commission, Adrian Eddleman won the District 9 Position 3 in a landslide. As the other party does not have a candidate in the General Election, the seat is taken.