Here's site that at least lists all imminent state wide elections, mostly with links to their own propagan...um, informational web sites, just to get you started.

Tennessee Elections, Tennessee Candidates and Politics

knoxnews.com and your own illustrious MerVille Daily Times, thedailytimes.com,will have various info links for my/your area candidates/offices.

- OS

Thanks for the link, that's a start. The Daily Times is useless. They list the candidates and party, that's it. I'll check knoxnews.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2
Madison County primary, 6.5% turnout of registered voters.

Did you notice the silence everywhere else as well in the listening area of Knoxville..

Guest oldsmobile98

I gotta confess. I am in school in Nashville, and I'm still registered to vote in Blount County. I had no idea who was running for the county primaries and didn't vote.

But I will vote in the state primaries / general county election in August.

Haslam was a member of Bloombergs "Mayors Against Illegal Guns", a gun control organization. He can't pretend he didn't know the groups agenda so that tells me that he favors gun control. No amount of back peddeling and spinning from him can change that fact. If he wins the primary, I will write in a candidate of my choice just to say I voted even if they have no chance of winning.

Guest archerdr1
Great read, however I'm in the chattanooga/ooltewah area. Do you have any suggestions on who is better than others? I voted today in the local ones and it felt good to have a say so, that is what makes this nation so great

In Chattanooga/ooltewah, for US Congress I am in a toss up. I really like Chuck Fleischmann, but met another guy at the tea party that is running, Rick Kersea. Chuck impressed me while talking to him back last September. I talked to him for an hour or so. Nice guy, he is a lawyer, sounds firm on supporting the 2A, even remembered me when I saw him at the tea party last month! But, while I was at the tea party, I met Rick. Talked to him for a while. He is a STRONG supporter of 2A. His view is that the right to keep and bear arms is a RIGHT, not and ISSUE. He was an air force fighter pilot, strong on national security and border defense. He asked me about some good places to get some range time and we are trying to set up a time to put some rounds downrange. The only concern I have about him is his lack of name recognition. USAF made him retire this year and when he got to town, he said he decided that "I need to earn the retirement pay that they are giving me" EXTREMELY conservative and I like him a lot, again I am just concerned that he doesn't have the name recognition. I do not like Robin Smith, because of personal attacks she made on Fleischmann b/c of the amount of Money he has ( I told her that because she couldn't find anything against his conservative stand, she attacked his money and that made her sound just like the democrats in Washington). Tim Gobble never even took the time to talk to me, he just said "Hi, here is some literature". I wasn't really impressed with him. the only thing I know about him is that he is the sheriff in Bradley county. As far as our TN reps, the only thing I know is that Vince Dean (house) has shown himself through this year and last to be a friend of Gun owners. He has emailed me back very quickly any time I emailed him. Bo Watson (Senate) has voted for us, but his answers were always a bit vague. I emailed him for his support on the guns in restaurants bill and all he said was "I will keep this in mind" I knew how he would vote, but would have liked for him to say how he would. Hope this helps some in what we are looking at in Chattanooga (District 3). Oh, as far as gov., I have been pulling for Wamp, but after hearing about Ramsey from ya'll, and noticing that though he appologized for the stimulus bill, he voted for the Cash for Clunkers as well as talking to his representatives at the tea party, I peeled the wamp stickers off of my truck and replaced them with Ramsey, and as far as Haslam, he makes me sick.

Haslam is the classic "connected" politician. Very slick, polished, and plays to his audience.

Sure does. He finds a way to hedge his statements enough to support both sides of any issue, depending on where he perceives the votes to be at the moment. Traditional double-speak politician.

To me, he has questionable loyalties surrounding the 2A (re: MAIG).

Anyone who joined with Bloomberg in any manner, I see no "questionable" to it.

If you shake his hand, better count your fingers immediately.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
fixed quotess
Guest 6.8 AR
Haslam was a member of Bloombergs "Mayors Against Illegal Guns", a gun control organization. He can't pretend he didn't know the groups agenda so that tells me that he favors gun control. No amount of back peddeling and spinning from him can change that fact. If he wins the primary, I will write in a candidate of my choice just to say I voted even if they have no chance of winning.

I don't want Haslam, either, but consider the democrat candidate when you

do that. A write in will only help the wrong guy. Do you really think Haslam

would veto a piece of pro gun legislation coming from the Legislature? All

those Republicans talk to each other and I think he wouldn't ambush his own

party politics. I still want Ramsey, but I will take any of the Republicans

over a younger, more liberal Ned Ray, or whoever they field.

Guest libertylady

Van Irion is your man for TN03. He says the only carry permit you need is the 2nd Amendment. check him out at Van Irion: Republican for Tennessee's 3rd Congressional District

He is also viable, many say it's a 3-way race right now between Van, Chuck and Robin and we don't want Chuck or Robin! They are both RINO's. They blow with the wind but Van will stick with what the Constitution says every time.

Guest archerdr1
Van Irion is your man for TN03. He says the only carry permit you need is the 2nd Amendment. check him out at Van Irion: Republican for Tennessee's 3rd Congressional District

He is also viable, many say it's a 3-way race right now between Van, Chuck and Robin and we don't want Chuck or Robin! They are both RINO's. They blow with the wind but Van will stick with what the Constitution says every time.

haven't even heard of him.
Guest gjuster

There is only one legitimate candidate that understands the constitution and the real meaning of the 2nd amendment - he has a carry permit, is a constitutional attorney, and has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the health care bill against its constitutionality et al - in fact there are over 30,000 plaintiffs signed up and you can too at Obamacare Class Action - The Voice of "We The People"

His name is Van Irion - according to the national pundits, only 3 people have a chance at winning this election Robin Smith - the party boss, Chuck Fleischman - a good guy that has self funded his campaign with $500,000 of his own money, or Van Irion who believes that the Constitution is his guide if elected. Van is supported strongly be the Tea Parties and gun owners across the district. You can find out more at Van Irion: Republican for Tennessee's 3rd Congressional District If you are pro 2nd amendment the way it was written as protection against an over reaching government - you only have one choice.

Guest archerdr1
There is only one legitimate candidate that understands the constitution and the real meaning of the 2nd amendment - he has a carry permit, is a constitutional attorney, and has filed a federal lawsuit challenging the health care bill against its constitutionality et al - in fact there are over 30,000 plaintiffs signed up and you can too at Obamacare Class Action - The Voice of "We The People"

His name is Van Irion - according to the national pundits, only 3 people have a chance at winning this election Robin Smith - the party boss, Chuck Fleischman - a good guy that has self funded his campaign with $500,000 of his own money, or Van Irion who believes that the Constitution is his guide if elected. Van is supported strongly be the Tea Parties and gun owners across the district. You can find out more at Van Irion: Republican for Tennessee's 3rd Congressional District If you are pro 2nd amendment the way it was written as protection against an over reaching government - you only have one choice.

ok, I have to ask this: why does everyone hang this on his head? What does it matter if he freaking funds his own campaign. This sounds like a play straight from the democrat playbook. They always attack the guy with the money. I think it is great that he funded his own campaign... he was only bought by himself. Nobody can hold over his head that "I paid for your campaign, you better do what I say". Is that really all that people have to say against him? As far as 2A, I have talked to him, he sure seems to me to be very pro 2a.

^^^I didn't see the above as a complaint, but maybe that's just my own biases as I read the words coming into play. Like you, I think it's a compliment. However, lots of people think that making money makes you less "just reg'lar folks", and that's a tag all our state lawmakers desire to have. It's perverse, but being successful can be a hindrance in local politics. If Chuck is a self-made man, that's a real argument in his favor - this state has made itself business and industry-friendly to its benefit. More, please...and if Irion is who you say he is, he may be just as good.

It seems like a lot of good candidates aren't going to get elected this year due to highly competetive primaries. This is a good thing.

Guest archerdr1

I think that we will file in behind anyone that wins the primary since they are better than the alternative. All of these republicans in District 3 show conservative, but this whole beating Chuck has gotten from Robin about how much money he makes just makes me dislike her.

Guest gjuster

The problem with a self funded candidate that has a lot more money than the rest is that most people will never meet or get a chance to listen to the candidates. At the end, a very rich person can buy an election with TV and radio ads that tell you nothing about their beliefs. I have been involved with politics for some time - I hate the money aspect, but without it there is no chance of winning. In the Irion campaign - everyone is a volunteer - in Robin's and Chuck's campaign they pay people to work for them. Not wrong, but it requires a lot more money.

My problem with Chuck is that he is not a constitutionalist and he will not mention that he is a lawyer - he says he is a small businessman. Nothing wrong at all with being a lawyer - unless you are hiding it.

I take Chuck over Robin, and Van Irion over all of them.

And as a final note - I have nothing against rich people and I have nothing against rich people running for Congress. I have a problem with the people once they get to Congress. Being a Congressman should be one of the easiest jobs in the world with basically nothing to do - if you follow the Constitution. The real work is done by the states.

Guest GhostHunter
Well August is the party primary for govenor. We'd better get the right republican in there, at that time. To me it's Ramsey.

:stalk:

is Ramsey a lifelong politician?

If you call being a part time politician lifelong, then possibly. I think he's be in for like 16 years, but seems to vote pretty conservative and still leads fights for issues (unlike our current congressman, John Duncan.)

I would love to hear what people have to say bad about Ramsey. I haven't really found anything I disagree with him on.

Matthew

As Lieutenant Governor, Ramsey is still a part-time politician. Wamp and Halsem are both ambitious and see TN Governor as a step up to bigger things. Ron Ramsey is also the only one of the three that supports a Constitutional amendment prohibiting a state income tax.

As Lieutenant Governor, Ramsey is still a part-time politician....

All TN reps/senators are part time. The job is classified as such.

I believe the current salary is $16,500 / year or thereabouts. The speaker of senate and house get triple that, though.

They also get expense allowance and office allowance.

And of course, all they can steal.

Actually, like all legislators, the big bucks are to made simply by knowing WHAT is going to happen WHEN before you and I do.

Summary from Wiki:

"Part-time legislature

To keep the legislature a part-time body, it is limited to ninety "legislative days" per two-year term, plus up to fifteen days for organizational purposes at the start of each term. A legislative day is considered any day that the House or Senate formally meets in the chambers of each house. If it remains in session longer than ninety legislative days, lawmakers cease to draw their expense money, currently set at $141 per legislative day.

Legislators also receive an "office allowance" of $1,000 per month, ostensibly for the maintenance of an office area devoted to their legislative work in their homes or elsewhere within their district. Traditionally, it has been easier, politically-speaking, to raise the per diem and office allowance than the salary.

The speaker of each house is entitled to a salary triple that of other members. Under a law enacted in 2004, legislators will receive a raise equally to that given to state employees the previous year, if any.

The governor may also call "extraordinary sessions", limited to the topic or topics outlined in the call, limited to another twenty days. Two-thirds of each house may also initiate such a call by petitioning for it."

- OS

Guest oldsmobile98
I would love to hear what people have to say bad about Ramsey. I haven't really found anything I disagree with him on.

Straight up.

Well I have my reasons why am not very happy with Ramsey

I'm all ears. I'm thinking about donating some $ to the Ramsey campaign and would like to hear your grievances.