Shipping a Handgun through UPS...

Guest Boogieman

Ok, it's entirely possible my source (coworker) about Fed Ex has only used them for long guns. I had forgotten to try DHL, I need to remember to check their website and see if they're any firearm friendlier the next time I need to ship one. Can't ship handguns via UPS ground at all either. Has to be next day air, and that brings up the price tag that's for sure.

I think DHL is now dead as far as US to US shipping.

- OS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, got it shipped. Got a little extra insurance on it for obvious reasons. The people at the hub gave me a little trouble at first, but they said they were told by their manager that any firearm shipment had to go to an FFL. They called, and said it would be okay to ship within state to a non-FFL. The woman there was very apologetic about giving me a hard time, and very helpful after finding out that she could in fact ship it. It does have to go next day air though, ran me about $40 after all was said and done, and that was with them giving me the free boxes and bubble wrap from under the conveyor belt. I've since heard that Fed Ex is better to use for firearm shipments and cheaper. What I found really amusing is that the UPS hub off Whites Creek has a circle with a handgun and a slash in the middle that says firearms prohibited on the door. All in all the woman was very helpful once we got the ball rolling, and it seems that the fault is really with UPS and communication issues concerning their own policies. I did bring the page from their website that said the shipment would be okay, so that probably helped.

Looks like the HOURS I spent at that location and on the phone with their their legal department made a difference. :screwy:

Glad it worked for you. I found the clerks were generally helpful, but my first couple visits I think "gun scare" affected them. The last few times they were more business as usual.

I think DHL is now dead as far as US to US shipping.

- OS

Thankfully DHL is dead for domestic purposes. DO NOT USE!:cool:

I think I saw one of their trucks a few days ago.

Yeah, still a small presence, but to my knowledge would be carrying international shipments -- they filed bankruptcy on US operations good while back, and stated they were shutting it all down.

Maybe they still have contract work here, I don't really know.

Haven't received or seen DHL as an option from anyplace in couple years now, myself.

Kinda hard to tell from quick look at their website, but it seems to only mention international.

- OS

Shipping a firearm to another Tennessee resident is legal as long as you notify the shipper you are shipping a firearm.

I tried it with a shotgun and UPS reused to ship it. I went to the hub at Murfreesboro and they got the “Security Officer†since they didn’t know what to do. He said their policy was that it had to go between FFL’s. He said a private individual could only ship if they were sending it to an FFL or manufacturer for repair.

I went home and called UPS HQ. I eventually talked with a supervisor and be said I was not in violation of their policies, but that he would not over ride the decision of a Security Officer at a hub on a firearm shipment.

That guy even first refused to accept a handgun that Smith & Wesson had sent me an overnight prepaid label on. When I asked “So you want me to call Smith & Wesson and tell them you are fusing to ship a gun they are shipping on their account?†He told me to wait a minute and then came back with this BS about it being okay if you are sending it to a manufacturer for repair.

I don’t know if that azzhat still works there, but I have given up on shipping; I just buy and sell locally.

I refused to let his ignorance cause me to commit a crime. Shipping without notification is a crime.

The only crime is not knowing your own stinking policy. Next time send the rifle/shotgun via UPSP. They know their policy a little better.

As for UPS. USE their online billing label it as a gun and drop it at the depot on the counter without saying a word.

I have absolutly no issues shipping firearms using UPS or USPS abiding by their policy or not. It's all in how you handle the situation.

.... but I have given up on shipping; I just buy and sell locally.

Me too. Shipping is such a pain. Lots easier to drive and meet somebody in a public place. So far, TGO meets have been some mighty nice folks. Lots more friendly than UPS folks.