WTF? at Knoxville Expo Center gunshow

I went to the RK gun show today. I have a valid HCP and cleared my weapon, locking the slide to the rear before entering. I handed the officer, who was checking firearms, my pistol and he put a zip tie through the ejection port like they always do. Then the officer asked if I had a magazine, I said yes and he asked to see it. I pulled it out of my pocket and showed him. He then said give it to me, I didn't think anything of it and handed it to him. At that point he began emptying it into a cup. I asked what he was doing and his response was that no loaded ammunition is allowed in the show. I aksed if I could take it to my car and he said no. I told him that the ammo wasn't cheap and another officer piped in saying it was an expensive lesson and not to bring loaded ammunition into the gunshow again. I got a bit upset but I took my empty magazine and walked inside. Once inside I bought a box of LOADED ammo to replace the stuff that they had just emptied into the cup that way I had ammo for the ride home.

These weren't the usual officers, KCSO, that do the security for the shows but some division of KPD.

Dolomite

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84

You should've asked to talk to supervisor on duty and demand the said ammo back to put it in your vehicle.

That's what I would've done, at least if they said no after talking to supervisor, I have exhausted all of my options and will report the incident to RK Shows representatives...

We'll those are the rules, but that's an unfortunate way to handle the situation. I would have just said "no" to the ammo or mag question, but you're apparently a more honest person than me...lol

They could at least have held it for you until you leave. What's stopping someone from buying a box of ammo, hitting the bathroom to open it and loading up a mag.....uhhh not much.

I noticed one of the cops was some young rookie kid about 120lbs soaking wet. He looked like a typical arrogant kid who barely got out of high school and now has a badge and thinks he's king sh*t.

I guess you'll know next time, although I'd be pretty pissed about the way the situation was handled and might not want come back to another show if it were me.

Guest 1817ak47

I woundered how they would feel about having loaded weapons in the show. as it sounded like on the sign that they didn't want any loaded guns. not sure if they are trying to a weed out everyone to eliminate a threat or what. some(not all) of the KPD officers are rookies and are very power hungry and like to abuse there power. i wounder if you asked them if you could have it when you left what they would say???

maybe those cheap scumbags were to cheap to work to pay for there own ammo!

Guest 1817ak47

I noticed one of the cops was some young rookie kid about 120lbs soaking wet. He looked like a typical arrogant kid who barely got out of high school and now has a badge and thinks he's king sh*t.

there are many good cops in KPD. but they are some of the above mentioned who were able to get there foot into law enforcement via KPD. and this is some of what happens. they feel they are king of the world.

Knoxville gun shows are not posted complaint with statute.

Know what I mean?

The white haired tall cop there periodically wanders around and threatens to arrest people doing deals outside the doors, or even INside the doors if they are not IN the actual exhibition area.

It's not any more legal or illegal to do it outside the building than inside it.

If one wanted to do a Kwick and take it all the way to arrest, might be a way to make some real coin from City of Knoxville.

- OS

Guest Glock23ForMe

If one wanted to do a Kwick and take it all the way to arrest, might be a way to make some real coin from City of Knoxville.

- OS

mario_coin_value.jpg

Guest DeadEye
Knoxville gun shows are not posted complaint with statute.

Know what I mean?

The white haired tall cop there periodically wanders around and threatens to arrest people doing deals outside the doors, or even INside the doors if they are not IN the actual exhibition area.

It's not any more legal or illegal to do it outside the building than inside it.

- OS

Great Idea! Why dont U do a Kwik at next Show?

Guest TargetShooter84
I can't believe they kept your ammo. I would have raised hell!!!!

And those cops would have a good reason to take ya in for disorderly conduct....just sayin'

I'd have been quite pissed. They had no right to seize your property. If they didn't want your ammo at the show, they should have told you to take it home or to just leave and not come back. They have the right to do that. Not take your ammo. I'd file a complaint. If they were in KPD uniform, I'd take it up with the department.

Guest DeadEye
I am picking up what you are putting down Verne. ;)

My awareness goes up to 11

Almost sounds like OhShoot and Kwik are theSame?

It was the young kid closest to the consession stand who took the ammo and the older officer next to him who said it was and expensive lesson.

I handed him the mag because I didn't expect it. I have shown other officers at previous shows my ammo, my holster as well as some other tactical stuff, all without incident. That is why I didn't think anything of it. It was almost like a HAHA we got another one type aura about it as they smiled at each other.

Dolomite

Seriously, if I did that to someone while I was working, I'd expect to receive a complaint. And with how clear the law is, I might even get a few days off without pay. It'd be an "expensive lesson".

Guest DeadEye
It was the young kid closest to the consession stand who took the ammo and the older officer next to him who said it was and expensive lesson.

I handed him the mag because I didn't expect it. I have shown other officers at previous shows my ammo, my holster as well as some other tactical stuff, all without incident. That is why I didn't think anything of it. It was almost like a HAHA we got another one type aura about it as they smiled at each other.

Dolomite

He was selling loose ammo in Zip lock bags when i left at around 5 ish!