Any car guys on here?

Guest fourspdRAT

I've got a 60 Willys CJ5 with a lot of air between the parts in my basement, been thinking about digging around on it some recently since my dad passed and he was the one who got me hooked on them.

Now you're speaking my language. I use to be into the old cars, but once I got into the old Jeeps I forgot all about the hot rods. There for a long time I was VP of an offroad club in this area, so I've turned my share of wrenches. I also got my dad into them not long after I did as well, and at one time we had 7 different Jeeps between the two of us. Sadly he recently moved and didn't have room for all of our stuff, and neither did I, so most had to be sold. Engines, transmissions, t-cases, axles, all spare parts were either sold or got pretty much ruined by the floods the other day. Now we're down to his 73 CJ5, our M38, and my TJ.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker
I like fast cars. Mostly Porsche Turbo's. All these are in someone else's hands now. I drive an SUV.

1992 Acura NSX

1986 Porsche 911 Turbo (nearly stock)

1985 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified to about 600hp)

1994 Porsche 911 Turbo (very stock as there are only about 350 of these)

1992 Porsche 911 Turbo S2 (Very Rare, only 18 in US, I totaled mine)

I would absolutely love to own an air-cooled 911. These are pulling in more $ than 997's with similar mileage. Whatever you do, are ya'll hiring?? ;)

I own a few cars.

I went to the dark side about ten years ago and bought a Toyota, after owning domestic my whole life.

I have a pair of Celicas (my main project car is a `90 Celica) as well as a Corolla wagon.

My wife's car is a Buick Regal GS, the one with the 3800 Series II Supercharged.

I also still have some domestic love. My `67 Chrysler New Yorker.

I have had the "carbug" my whole life it seems... I dont spend much time with the cars right now. However, I do hope to have more time in the near future to get back to my car hobby.

My current three:

2003 Cobra Coupe with a few extras :hiding:

2003 Convertible... also with a few go fast goodies :D

1998 Cobra with a good bit of suspension parts

Im usually a car-aholic but my gun hobby has overtaken it at the moment (something about not losing money I like lol).

Cars I have owned:

96 Nissan Maxima 5spd (when your 16 you think its fast)

91 Nissan 300z Twin Turbo ~450RWHP

97 Lexus SC400 (slow but classy)

93 RX-7 twin turbo (project car that never took off)

91 Nissan Maxima (needed a daily)

93 Toyota Pickup (sold it to my friend...he still has it)

93 Supra Twin Turbo (auto....~400rwhp)

97 Supra Twin Turbo 6 Speed....(~400rwhp)

Cars I currently own:

98 Lexus GS400 (still have it...214,000 miles and still runnin strong)

04 Cobra (bolt on's, n20, some other stuff....only 23k on it...work in progress)

Since im just 26 im sure there will be plenty more...

Guest db99wj

Love Jeeps. Drive an 09 JKU. Started with an 89 Jeep YJ when I got out of basic. Lifted it. car car, car, 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee..lifted it, tires. Currently I'm stock. Wife doesn't want me to lift it, so I wont. I will, once money allows, go from the stock tires to a BFG AT or GY Duratrac in a 33" tire. This is my DD, so I don't want to destroy it, but I do like to go places, no extreme rocks or mud bogging.

<------------That's mine.

Love Jeeps. Drive an 09 JKU. Started with an 89 Jeep YJ when I got out of basic. Lifted it. car car, car, 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee..lifted it, tires. Currently I'm stock. Wife doesn't want me to lift it, so I wont. I will, once money allows, go from the stock tires to a BFG AT or GY Duratrac in a 33" tire. This is my DD, so I don't want to destroy it, but I do like to go places, no extreme rocks or mud bogging.

<------------That's mine.

Just be careful, because that "like to go places" part soon turns in to the more extreme side of things. I started out just enjoying riding back roads and trails here and there on the weekends. A few years later my last project was an 01 TJ with a 350, on 1 ton axles and 44" TSL's. When I messed my knee up I went for a long time thinking I would never be able to get down on the ground or in and out of anything big anymore, so I sold everything I had on the extreme side of things. Even though the knee is about back to normal now, I still haven't gotten back in to any kinda mechanic work yet.

Sure do miss it though.....

Guest db99wj
Just be careful, because that "like to go places" part soon turns in to the more extreme side of things. I started out just enjoying riding back roads and trails here and there on the weekends. A few years later my last project was an 01 TJ with a 350, on 1 ton axles and 44" TSL's. When I messed my knee up I went for a long time thinking I would never be able to get down on the ground or in and out of anything big anymore, so I sold everything I had on the extreme side of things. Even though the knee is about back to normal now, I still haven't gotten back in to any kinda mechanic work yet.

Sure do miss it though.....

At some point would love to get a CJ-8 Scrambler for those more extreme times!

I have been a car guy since my upbringing, as my father and grandfather were bodymen by trade. Currently have an 03 F150 Lightning as my fun vehicle. It's mostly stock for now, as most of my money is going towards buying a house, but there are plans for it as soon as I can get the funds.

Guest fourspdRAT
You boys with your cobras. I used to want a cobra so badly. Now I want a 2011 GT. From what I have been hearing, there is already a 2011 GT running 10's N/A.

I don't know about N/A, but there a a few running 10s with minor bolt ons,N2O, tires and a good driver. It's pretty impressive to see a nearly stock car with less than 1K miles jerk a front tire off the ground. :D

Now you're speaking my language. I use to be into the old cars, but once I got into the old Jeeps I forgot all about the hot rods. There for a long time I was VP of an offroad club in this area, so I've turned my share of wrenches. I also got my dad into them not long after I did as well, and at one time we had 7 different Jeeps between the two of us. Sadly he recently moved and didn't have room for all of our stuff, and neither did I, so most had to be sold. Engines, transmissions, t-cases, axles, all spare parts were either sold or got pretty much ruined by the floods the other day. Now we're down to his 73 CJ5, our M38, and my TJ.

I thought I recognized that user name from earlycj5.com...........I haven't paid attention over there in quite a while.

I thought I recognized that user name from earlycj5.com...........I haven't paid attention over there in quite a while.

Yup, that's me. I haven't been on there in a long time either. Still get an occasional email from some of the guys there wanting to know if I'm ever coming back. I started out simply working and rebuilding the older ones, and that turned into working pretty much every afternoon on the more extreme ones, which finally burnt me out on the whole thing somewhat. :D

The point I'm at now is one of those "getting back to basics" kinda things. Whenever I get back into working on them I will concentrate mostly on the M38, and we're also wanting to do another rebuild on my dad's CJ5 to make it a little better. He hasn't really been too happy with the paint job or the wiring mess that it's currently in, so redoing that as well as some brake upgrades are first things on the list.

Edited by MCSCOTT
Yup, that's me. I haven't been on there in a long time either. Still get an occasional email from some of the guys there wanting to know if I'm ever coming back. I started out simply working and rebuilding the older ones, and that turned into working pretty much every afternoon on the more extreme ones, which finally burnt me out on the whole thing somewhat. :D

The point I'm at now is one of those "getting back to basics" kinda things. Whenever I get back into working on them I will concentrate mostly on the M38, and we're also wanting to do another rebuild on my dad's CJ5 to make it a little better. He hasn't really been too happy with the paint job or the wiring mess that it's currently in, so redoing that as well as some brake upgrades are first things on the list.

I never have left the basics. For that matter, I've never left the dang nabbed chair to go work on the thing. Got a lot I could do, after all, there is "a lot of air between most of the parts" now. Need to reduce that spacing considerably.

Guest fourspdRAT
our M38,

I am beyond jealous. I've been wanting one of those for years, but everyone who has one are very proud of them. I found one a few years ago for what I thought was a decent price, but it was too nice and nearly 100% original. I just couldn't bring myself to beat one up that was that nice.

I am beyond jealous. I've been wanting one of those for years, but everyone who has one are very proud of them. I found one a few years ago for what I thought was a decent price, but it was too nice and nearly 100% original. I just couldn't bring myself to beat one up that was that nice.

It's not much to be jealous of in it's current state, but this particular one wont really take much at all to get back to 100% once I finally get back around to it.

One thing the extreme side taught me is that you don't necessarily have to beat one up in order to get where you want to go, you just have to have good patience and a good spotter. I still don't think I'll ever be able to do any big amounts of offroading in this one though.

I never have left the basics. For that matter, I've never left the dang nabbed chair to go work on the thing. Got a lot I could do, after all, there is "a lot of air between most of the parts" now. Need to reduce that spacing considerably.

My "air between most of the parts" got to a point where it was spread out between four counties. Having to run back and forth all the time to get whichever part I needed was another reason that I kinda got burnt out on the whole thing.

Guest drv2fst

JHatmaker,

I also love the Air-Cooled 911's. I had not really liked newer Porsches for a long time. This last models the GT3RS and the new Turbo are looking really good though.

Guest db99wj

Your post is worthless without pics! :(

Your post is worthless without pics! :P

Like I said, the ol M38 isn't much to be jealous of in it's current state, but my dad had always wanted one so this was added to the collection. The only pics I have of it are from the day we got it. About the only things it needed were a hood, windshield glass, and an engine since the PO had put an F134 in it instead of the L134 (that's the reason for them butchering the hood). All of those are easy and fairly cheap to get for the old flatties. It looks rough in the pic, but surprisingly all of the rust was only surface rust except for a little on the passenger side. Still trying to decide if it's going to go OD green, or back to the original AF blue.

I really need to get off my lazy behind and finish this thing up. If I had spent as much on it in the last year as I have firearms, and put a couple months work into it, it would already be in great shape.

dadswillys5fx.jpg

Guest motonut
I would absolutely love to own an air-cooled 911. These are pulling in more $ than 997's with similar mileage. Whatever you do, are ya'll hiring?? ;)
Been a car guy for several decades, my first "real" job was working in a garage in the mid 70's. Although I've worked on a lot of American iron I was always attracted to the European cars, my first was a '67 MGB and the 2nd was a '67 BMW 1600 (I couldn't afford a 2002). Now have a '97 Porsche 993 and a '97 BMW M3 along w/ a couple of others. Do all non-warranty work on my vehicles myself, even have a 48" scissor lift in the garage. Cars are my main hobby, firearms becoming a close second.