When will Wamp or Ramsey tell the truth?

About Haslam, about his involment in a GUN CONTROL organization?

I'm sick of that Haslam commercial where the dude says he's strong on the 2nd Amendment. Yes, he's strong on weakening the 2nd Amendment.

I wonder why, or when either Wamp or Ramsey will run a commercial telling the truth about Haslam.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate political campaigns more than politicians even. They will say anything. And after they win, win they do a 180, and are caught, it's ok because it was just a campaign promise. I don't knwo much about Haslam, but I imagine with his family money, he must be one of the strongets contenders. I agree with you, if he's weak on 2nd A issues, the word needs to be out there soon.

Guest DeadEye

Remember last yr. when Haslam's Pliot stations were selling 5.00 gas during the shortage?

Even though charges were filled all was swept under the Rug!

Remember last yr. when Haslam's Pliot stations were selling 5.00 gas during the shortage?

to be fair, it was about two years ago and it was not just Pilot.

Unfortunately it will be Haslam on the Repub side. I think Ramsey has pretty much written off West Tennessee. Too bad, but not too shocking I guess. Still voting for Ron.

Not so on him writing off West TN. We have him coming to Union City for a TFA Meeting on Friday, June 11, at Joe's Steak House, 5:30 if you want to eat prior to the meeting, 7:00 the meeting starts. He gets to make his stump speech, then we grill him.

He has been in Session in the Senate, the real campaign starts when they finish up.

to be fair, it was about two years ago and it was not just Pilot.

To be even more fair, the stations that were cited were run by independent franchisers, there were only 3 or 4, and those operators were all fined to the tune of ~$20K each, and had to offer rebates to anyone who still had receipts. At least one was in Ky.

Pilot sold the gas at the same price structure to all it's stations and wasn't responsible for the gougers.

There were a lot more Wiegels cited than Pilot.

It pains me to state all this, as I don't think much of Billy Boy, but you really can't blame the Haslam family for those events.

They certainly wouldn't have gotten involved over such small change anyway.

- OS

I watched the debate the other day on TV here in Knoxville. It may have been a re-run, but I ran across it anyhow. I like Haslem, however I definately won't be voting for him if he's anti-gun. He sounded modestly moderate on guns in the debate...(kind of a joke there). I didn't like it nor was I pushed away by his comments.

In my opinion there is nothing more un-patriotic and un-American than siding against the one fundamental right that has kept this country's fabric together for centuries. Even those who are not necessarily pro-gun should realize that the right is important and failing to preserve it will affect them, possibly more greatly than gun owners.

Anyway, does anyone have any info or links to info online on Haslem's history of Anti-gun support so I can take a look for myself?

...He sounded modestly moderate on guns in the debate...(kind of a joke there). I didn't like it nor was I pushed away by his comments....

That's his style.

He straddles issues so much he's had to put extra material in crotch of his pants.

- OS

Guest PapaB

The follwing questions and answers are from

Tennessee Governor's Race, 2010

and give examples of why I won't vote for Haslam or Wamp. Questions are in italics, bold words in the answer are my area of concern and comments in green are mine.

Bills have been filed in the legislature allowing handgun carry permit holders to carry their guns on college and university campuses. Do you support or oppose this bill?

Haslam:

First of all, I oppose a blanket prohibition. While I support making college campuses as safe as possible, I believe that each individual school has that responsibility. College administrators face a complex security situation and need flexibility to set appropriate rules for students, adult employees, and visitors.

I don't want to be the bad guy. I'll let someone else ban weapons so I can say it wasn't me.

The legislature approved a law last year allowing handgun-carry permit holders to take guns into city, county and state parks — but it gave city councils and county commissions authority to designate one, some or all of their parks off limits to guns. Gun advocacy groups and some legislators say they will ask the legislature to remove the authority of local governments to “opt out†of the law — in effect, opening all local parks to guns whether local governments want that or not. First, do you support or oppose repealing the law that allows guns in state parks? And do you support or oppose removing the “opt-out†provision for local government?

Haslam:

I support the new law allowing handgun-carry permit holders to take guns into parks and I would oppose its repeal. I also favor giving local communities as much autonomy as possible. I’m proud of the fact that Knoxville is the only big city in the state where there is no criminal penalty for legal gun permit holders carrying in parks.

Wamp:

I oppose repealing the 2009 law because we should not pick and predict where law abiding citizens may be called upon to defend themselves against violent criminals. A park is just like any other public place and the same rule should apply to parks that apply elsewhere. While I would support an “opt-out†provision for local governments, I would not vote to opt out on this law because it keeps Tennesseans safe. But just as there is a separation of powers between the federal and state governments, there is also a separation of powers between state and local governments. If a local government wants to opt out, they should be allowed to do so.

Since when can the State give local communities the option to allow a God granted, State and Federal Constitutionally acknowleged right to be suspended? I know they do it but that doesn't make it right, or constitutional.

Are there other changes in state gun laws that you advocate?

Wamp:

Not at this time.

Really? You've got nothing? That's what I call a staunch supporter.

Guest PapaB

In the YouTube link Worriedman provided there is a woman giving a sign language interpretation. For those that don't know sign language, what she signs is:

Yacketty Schmacketty blah blah blah. :D:)

Anyway, does anyone have any info or links to info online on Haslem's history of Anti-gun support so I can take a look for myself?

Bill Haslam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mayor of Knoxville

Knoxville's mayoral elections are nominally non-partisan,[4] but Haslam was known to be a member of the Republican Party when he ran for the office. He defeated Madeline Rogero to win election in 2003,[5] replacing retiring four-term mayor Victor Ashe, and was reelected with nominal opposition in 2007.[6] Haslam had been frequently mentioned as a possible candidate for the 2010 Tennessee gubernatorial election,[7][8] and he formally announced his candidacy for governor in a newsletter sent to supporters on January 6, 2009.

Haslam was formerly a member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition, but resigned early in 2009 and became a member of the National Rifle Association.[9]

Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) is a coalition of mayors that seeks to curb illegal firearms trafficking and make it easier for law enforcement to identify the origin of guns used in crime[1]. The group was formed on April 25, 2006, during a summit held at Gracie Mansion in New York City that was hosted by Boston Mayor Thomas Menino and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg. The CEO of MAIG is Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

There's no better proof he's anti-gun, just as bad as being a member of the Brady Campaign.

Edited by K191145

It's real convienient that he decided in 09 to quit Bloombergs MAIG's and join the NRA, most likely when he decided to run for Governor of TN. He will claim he didn't know MAIG's was a gun control/anti-2nd Amendment organization even though it is headed by NEW YORK CITY MAYOR BLOOMBERG who blames Tennessee and other pro-Bill Of Rights States for crime in NYC. So if he REALLY didn't know it was an anti-gun organization then he's too much of a STUPID IDIOT MORON to be Governor.

There is no way in hell I will vote for Haslam, I will write in a candidate if he's the GOP choice. He will be no different than McWerter, probably worse.

Guest 1817ak47

another thing about this guy's connections that irritate me.

the hwy I live near the gas is about $.16 higher per gallon than if you go 7mi~ south down the same hwy. WTF way to rip of the working man mr I want to be the governator to rape you harder and drier than before:poop:. or like when I go near interstates that $.99 coke is $1.19 instead:rolleyes: he isn't in it for the people, he is in it to take from the people. I never did shady business like that and I don't expect it from anyone back and I really try to keep from supporting it if possible

Won't vote for Haslam for many of the reasons previously listed.

However I will also not vote for Wamp. He voted for TARP and it will cost us more than any price increases from Pilot Oil. He said initially when running for Congress he would only stay for 6 terms. He is in his 7th or 8th term. He said he would not take PAC money. He not only takes PAC money but set up a his own funds generator through the Tennessee Valley Corridor and its associated public relations company whose owner is described as the "gatekeeper" to Wamp. Incidentally, Wamp's son Weston works for the public relations company. Wamp is a real salesman. He talks about keeping Washington out of Tennessee in his "20/20 Vision" but he is the only one in the race who is intertwined with Washington as a congressman. In my voting lifetime two former congressman have been elected governor. One was Ray Blanton, one of the biggest crooks ever. The other was Don Sunquist who almost let TennCare break the taxpayers of Tennessee and tried to get an income tax for Tennessee. Do we want to take a chance on another former congressman? None of them are used to balancing a budget or holding spending in check.

I will vote for Ron Ramsey.

Superposed

Not so on him writing off West TN. We have him coming to Union City for a TFA Meeting on Friday, June 11, at Joe's Steak House, 5:30 if you want to eat prior to the meeting, 7:00 the meeting starts. He gets to make his stump speech, then we grill him.

He has been in Session in the Senate, the real campaign starts when they finish up.

Good to hear. Can't make that date. Hope I see him in Memphis soon.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I'll vote for a Dem. before I'll vote for Haslam!!!!:D

I'm pretty much with ya there seeing how there wont be much difference anyway.

I just hope we can come out in force in the primary and give Ramsey the shot he needs.

Ron may think he cant win West TN, but I am not so sure about that, I have not spoken with anyone here who is supporting anyone else. Then again I dont get out much anyway and when I do it is to gun stores and the likes.

I do still think he should drop that Dog and Pony "Boot" thing from the commercials....maybe its just me but I find it....Well... Dog and Pony'ish.

Guest jimdigriz
Unfortunately it will be Haslam on the Repub side.

Well, at least in that case, I might stop getting spam (that I never signed up for) from Zach Wamp.

I'm pretty much with ya there seeing how there wont be much difference anyway.

I just hope we can come out in force in the primary and give Ramsey the shot he needs.

Ron may think he cant win West TN, but I am not so sure about that, I have not spoken with anyone here who is supporting anyone else. Then again I dont get out much anyway and when I do it is to gun stores and the likes.

I do still think he should drop that Dog and Pony "Boot" thing from the commercials....maybe its just me but I find it....Well... Dog and Pony'ish.

If it's between Hasbeen(wishful thinking) and Son of Ned, i'll write sombody in and hope the legislator's are in an overriding mood.

Guest HvyMtl

here are my issues with the present group of candidates.

Haslam - MAIG member and flip flopper. Ultra rich and out of touch with us middle class people.

Wamp - voted FOR the bail outs while in Congress. Annoying voice.

Ramsey - voted for ever increasing state budgets and government. Can't even say "Washington..."

McWherter - Vandy Law Grad, Ultra Rich and out of touch with us middle class people, zero political experience

So. Um. Who is Joe Kirkpatrick?