Suggestions Please

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest TNDixieGirl

I currently carry a S&W Sigma 9VE. Have had no problems with it at all, it's a great gun. But now I want something smaller in size (easier to carry). Would love one that could be carried in my pocket, but not sure they make them "pocket-sized". Prefer to stick with a 9mm, and something not too pricey. I'll probably trade in the Sigma. I'd like to stick with S&W, but thats not written in stone, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Semi-auto, DAO, no external safety, budget-friendly and SMALL are my only requirements. If some of that was redundant, I apologize. I'm not great at describing guns. ;)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kel-Tec PF9. I haven't shot one but they are definitely budget friendly, small and don't have an external safety. I am looking at getting one once some other things are taken care of.

They also make a P-3AT (.380) which many members carry as a pocket gun. With the right pocket holster no one can tell you don't just have a wallet back there.

You've just described the PF9. Anything else will be more expensive, larger, smaller caliber, or a revolver.

But you'd be doing yourself a disservice counting out the Smith 442/642 series of J-frames.

I was walking with my wife on Xmas eve. I realized it was cold so I would have my coat. With the coat and jacket on I couldn't get to my regular gun on my side very quickly. So I took my 642 and stashed it in the coat pocket. Problem solved.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I was actually leaning towards the PF9, the size alone seems perfect for what I'm looking for, but I've recently read a few articles/reviews on them saying that their main purpose for use is as a "back-up gun". Well it wouldn't be "back-up" for me. It'd be the main and only gun I have. The reviews kind of confused me by saying it wasn't meant to be fired alot, "not a gun for target use" is how I believe it was worded. Does anyone know if thats true, cause I spend all the range time I can manage trying to get good with the gun I carry.

I don't dislike revolvers, but they've never appealled to me for some reason. Maybe its because I learned to shoot using a pistol, so thats my comfort zone. Who knows.

• Administrator
I was actually leaning towards the PF9, the size alone seems perfect for what I'm looking for, but I've recently read a few articles/reviews on them saying that their main purpose for use is as a "back-up gun". Well it wouldn't be "back-up" for me. It'd be the main and only gun I have. The reviews kind of confused me by saying it wasn't meant to be fired alot, "not a gun for target use" is how I believe it was worded. Does anyone know if thats true, cause I spend all the range time I can manage trying to get good with the gun I carry.

I don't dislike revolvers, but they've never appealled to me for some reason. Maybe its because I learned to shoot using a pistol, so thats my comfort zone. Who knows.

I'd look at the Kahr PM9 (#PM9093N / PM9094N) then. This is their 3.0" barrel version with night sights. The 93N is the stainless slide and the 94N is the blackened slide version.

mdtl_pm9093.jpg

mdtl_pm9094.jpg

Source: http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

Guest TNDixieGirl

I went back to read this older thread regarding the PF9. A few folks stated "not a good range gun", but don't say why. Will it eventually blow up in my hand after I shoot 500 rounds through it? Will it fall apart after a few hundred rounds? What do you think they mean by that? That part keeps jumping out at me because I do like to go to the range as much as possible.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2626

The size, the weight factor. The smaller, the lighter the gun, the less "comfortable" it is to shoot a lot of rounds through. The recoil on the smaller ones are absorbed more by your hand and arm. A bigger framed, heavier handgun will absorb more.

I can put a lot more rounds down range with my XD with a 4" barrel than I can my Rossi 38 revolver with a 2" barrel. It is a very small handgun, almost pocket carry size, but not quite IMO or at least in regards to my pockets.

..... A few folks stated "not a good range gun", but don't say why.....

Could be that a day at the range shooting a small pocket pistol for "fun" wouldn't be kind to the firing hand. :D

Also the PF9 is what I call a good "7 yard gun." Shooting it out pass that at the range won't give you Camp Perry Bullseye groups. I always laugh at the gun rags who try to test such firearms at 25 yards. ;)

The PF9 is an outstanding deep cover concealment firearm. I carry one when something bigger is just too much for what I'm wearing that day. With any of the topline service ammo it will get the job done so long as the shooter does their part.

Just make sure that you get the most currently made PF9. My only concern with any Keltec product is that they tend to let the public do their "Beta Testing" for them with early production guns. :D

I always laugh at the gun rags who try to test such firearms at 25 yards. ;)

Yeah, you just can't hit anything at 25 yards with a pocket gun.:D

DSCN0534.jpg

Anyway, yeah. A small gun like that is not much fun to shoot. You practice at 10 yards or less (more like 15 feet or less), load it and carry it around. I sure wouldn't recommend it for a first gun for someone who wants to learn how to shoot.

I usually try to practice/train on distances that I feel are more likely to be a "clean shoot." 25 yards (75 feet) I think are a bit "far fetched." I am more likely to be looking for cover under those scenarios. I am not saying that I wouldn't shoot, but it is "less likely."

I believe the FBI statistics state that most incidents resulting in the use of a handgun for personal defense are withing 7 to 10 feet. I train out to 30 to be on the safe side. 10 yards or less and I am going to drop you like a wet sack.

I think the Kel-Tec should be more than adequate for that range. See if RangeUSA or Range Master have one to rent. Even renting the P3AT will give you an idea of how the PF9 will shoot.

Guest canynracer
Reliability: Kahr

Economy: Kel-Tec

I'm a reliability kind of guy. I don't care if it's cheap if it won't hold up. :)

I was gonna suggest the Kahr CW9 as well... you can find them fairly cheap...maybe 60-90 dollars more than the pf9

I just bought the CW40 to replace my Sigma 9VE.

Needs a lot of break in, (200rds or so) but I LOVE it, very easy to conceal, comfortable, and reliable. Overall GREAT gun...I have about 600rds through mine, it loves the range.:eek:

If you were closer, I'd let you try mine out.

Comparing Winchester white box to white box, my PF9 seems to have more punch at the trigger pull than the P3-AT does. Just remember, if you do only get to shoot a P3, that the trigger stroke requires a long and solid pull all the way back. The PF9 pull is less lengthy and more to the point. Both guns require a full trigger stroke and are much different than, say, a Glock.

I've also seen some pretty decent groups from a PF9 at longer distances.

Travis

Guest Boomhower

I will agree that the Bersa does feel good in the hand (but I've never shot one), but for it's size, I think I'd have to fall back to the PF9 for the sole fact of caliber size.