Restaurant carry official! - Public Chapter 1009

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct on no differentiation as of now. Did anyone notice, however, that Curry Todd this session was also sponsoring a law that would create a separate class of license for those who derive most of their income from beverage sales alone? I think the figure was ten or fifteen percent only from food. If that law passed/passes, I could see a re-visit in the future that might aim to strip the "fifteen-percenters" out of the legal carry locations.

That law did pass.... and I doubt we'll see any serious attempt to add anti-gun laws to the books...

For a vast majority of legislators, suggesting an anti-gun bill of any sort is a quick way to loose an election.... It's one thing to oppose restaurant carry because of crazy not-likely-to-happen stuff... it's totally different to suggest banning something that is currently legal.

But, we all should focus on retiring more anti-2a/gun legislators this election season, and focus on getting a good solid pro-2a into the governors office this year.

Wow....none of the places like hardware stores etc... have the international symbol around here..

Just curious, which Home Depot around Knoxville has the international "no gun" symbol posted? ..
I think they mean for sale?

Yes, sorry, guess I wasn't clear.

I meant places to BUY generic signs, everything from Keep Off The Grass to No Smoking, etc.

- OS

Guest crotalus01

Living in Memphis, the new wording of the law regarding the circle/slash being a legal posting has definitely screwed the HCP holders here. When the original law was passed a ton of places here posted the (non-legal) circle/slash signs, which I (and I am sure many others) simply ignored.

At any rate, its better than nothing so I am not really going to complain...

Guest friesepferd

a law like this is always going to be bad for somebody. There is bound to be a permit holder out there that does not eat out, and the local hardwear store happens to have a circle-slash sign, for example. But for me, this is just great. I like to eat out around once a week, and the large majority of places to eat around here do serve alcohol. In my area there are very few places that post. I actually don't think I have ever seen one since moving down here. So for me, this is absolutely wonderful.

I certainly dont expect the number of posted places to increase. The sign issue was not talked about in the news hardly at all. I doubt they even know. There are of course places that already had posted the circle-slash that are now off limits, but as said, for me those are few. The only places I expect to see new circle-slash signs are resteraunts that serve alcohol, and I couldn't go in there before, so no big deal.

Of course I would love to see the circle-slash sign law gone and hope they can get rid of it soon, but I am jumping up and down about this going through. Its about time. Very few states dont let you carry in at least resteraunts that serve.

And on that note... I carried in a pizza place that serves on Friday and carried in a local Italian place that serves on Saturday before going to a movie. Neither time did I see alcohol, run over and drink it all, and go shoot people.

Guest wildcatbrownhound

I live in Rutherford county and have been watching some restaurants do a lot of blowing about this law and I have not seen any no weapons signs anywhere around here or in Nashville not to say there are none. I think and am hoping that the fear of losing business will prevent a lot of them from pasting signs. The IDIOTS who do post them will be I think few and far between and I will not starve to death going down the street. The guy in Nashville who was one of the main ones last year getting the law ruled unconstitutional has a hole in the wall crap joint that while I was watching him on TV, the entire time I was thinking how far he could stick his dump where. All that was a stunt to try to get some people to come in the dump to eat. Bet on it; I will not go in any place that takes my rights away from me I need to hush. I am pissing myself off. LOVE YALL :blush:

Guest lci419

More people die every year at Bonnaroo (an event which is heavily pushed by the Tennesseean and it's subsidiaries) than have been killed by HCP holders in bars in Tennessee. Perhaps we should ban Bonnaroo...

Guest Drewsett

Just as an fyi, I'm a restaurant server and I feel safer now that legal carry is allowed. I am seeing what I can do about making sure we don't post and if Rayburn wants to trot out his servers who are supposedly filing suit, I'm sure I could trot out some servers who feel similarly to me.

I had to spend an hour by the side of I24 around midnight the other night after blowing a tire.. I was returning home after having dinner at a restaurant that served alcohol. Sure glad I didn't have to leave my gun at home this time!

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I had to spend an hour by the side of I24 around midnight the other night after blowing a tire.. I was returning home after having dinner at a restaurant that served alcohol. Sure glad I didn't have to leave my gun at home this time!

EXACTLY! Rayburn needs to hear these kind of stories.

Rayburn needs be concerned that he could become one of the victim stories.

No, he gets to carry in his establishments regardless. As the Owner, he is not under the same restrictions that the patrons are, he, and any one he names as responsible for 'security" can carry without needing a permit, or going through a background check.

It is just us average 'ol citizens that he does not trust to know how to act.

No, he gets to carry in his establishments regardless. As the Owner, he is not under the same restrictions that the patrons are, he, and any one he names as responsible for 'security" can carry without needing a permit, or going through a background check.

It is just us average 'ol citizens that he does not trust to know how to act.

That entire part of the law was done away with... Unless I'm mistaken... Now only LEOs, HCP, and persons who fall under some other exception can carry. The requirement to do if for 'security' has been done away with.

That entire part of the law was done away with... Unless I'm mistaken... Now only LEOs, HCP, and persons who fall under some other exception can carry. The requirement to do if for 'security' has been done away with.

Correct.

"39-17-1305. Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served"

has been entirely deleted.

- OS

Correct.

"39-17-1305. Possession of firearm where alcoholic beverages are served"

has been entirely deleted.

- OS

39-17-1308(a)(3)(:up: still applies which is a defense to 39-17-1307 for a business owner....regardless of what the business is.

Edited by Fallguy
39-17-1308(a)(3)(;) still applies which is a defense to 39-17-1307 for a business owner....regardless of what the business is.

Well, good point.

I wonder if "a person's place of business" " has ever been defined?

Like, owner, manager, or in extended connotation, even just an employee?

The "owner" probably is not present very often at many, if not most, businesses.

It's not in the definitions part of the weapons statute, but may be defined elsewhere in TCA, dunno.

But regardless, the extended concept of a person

" who is the employee or agent of the owner of the premises with responsibility for protecting persons or property; "

is gone.

- OS

Edited by Fallguy
Fix error in quoted post
Well, good point.

I wonder if "a person's place of business" " has ever been defined?

Like, owner, manager, or in extended connotation, even just an employee?

The "owner" probably is not present very often at many, if not most, businesses.

It's not in the definitions part of the weapons statute, but may be defined elsewhere in TCA, dunno.

But regardless, the extended concept of a person

" who is the employee or agent of the owner of the premises with responsibility for protecting persons or property; "

is gone.

- OS

I too am not sure how far down the food chain of employees "place of business" applies to, but in Rayburn's case I think it for sure would apply.

The reason for the exception in 39-17-1305 before is because without it, it would have been illegal for even the owner to have been armed in there.