Chicago travel advice

and "don't go" doesn't count :up:

Me and the Missus were kicking around the idea of a quick 2 or 3 day trip to Chicago to catch a couple of Reds games just before the 4th. We've never been to Chicago, other than flying into and out of O'Hare. Here's my questions......

1) Other than Navy Pier and the Sears (used to be) Tower, what else falls into the "While you're in town, do not miss ____________________" category ?

and

2) Hotel recommendations ? Near Wrigley if possible.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

I cant really think of anything.

I know there is a really nice Waterfront Park but that is probably the Navy Pier you spoke of and if not I can not recall the name of the park.

All of my time there was while driving a big truck and trying like heck not to get lost and to get back out ASAP.:up:

Do enjoy your trip though, I have always loved going somewhere I have never been.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

The Taste of Chicago will be going on soon. Great way to sample all the great food that is to be had in Chicago. Taste of Chicago 2010, Chicago Attraction-Festival event from Chicago Traveler June 25th - July 4th. If I'm not mistaken Chicago has their fireworks on the 3rd of July.

Here is the list of entertainment going on this year at the taste:

06/25/10 5:30 pm Salt-n-Pepa & Bel Biv Devoe

06/26/10 5:30 pm Gavin Rossdale

06/27/10 3:00 pm Emily Osment

06/28/10 6:00 pm Broadway in Chicago

06/29/10 5:30 pm Los Lobos & Los Lonely Boys

06/30/10 5:30 pm Mat Kearney

07/01/10 5:30 pm Trey Songz

07/02/10 5:30 pm Rob Thomas

07/03/10 3:00 pm Steve Miller Band

07/04/10 12:00 pm Passion Pit & Robert, Randolph and the Family Band

Shed Aquarium perhaps. Shedd Aquarium - Chicago | Home

More Ideas, Chicago's Most Popular Tourist Attractions - top chicago attraction list

You cannot forget to get pizza from one of the 3 best pizza places in the city; Lou Malnati’s, Pizzeria Uno or Gino's East.

Edited by StreetWK05

you don't need an agenda really to have a big time in Chicago.

Wrigleyville itself has all kinds of atmosphere. Lots of bars and neighborhood type places to get food.

Ride the el train to the game. That is an experience by itself. And I assume there is still a great little sausage place right near the stairwell where you get off to go to Wrigley.

One bit of advice on going to the game. Watch where you sit in the park. The coldest baseball game I ever went to was on Memorial Day weekend at Wrigley. We sat in the shade on the third base side, it was so cold, but people in the bleachers were shirtless and nice and toasty. Sit down first base or in the bleachers. I always preferred the bleachers anyway, right field, row three.. Leave a lot of time for walking around the place too. They do not make ballparks like that anymore.

The last time I was there was for a company get together. They took us on some sort of "Gangster Tour" on a bus through downtown that was pretty cool. Went to where the St. Valentine's Day massacre happened and some other places. They showed us some bullet marks in some walls around town that they said came from gunfire during the era of the prohibition gang wars, but they really could have been from the night before for all I know.:P

The Navy pier and the Sears tower are okay. Actually, I've spent quite a bit of time in Chicago and there is really nothing there that I gave a crap about except Wrigley Filed.:D

If you have the time, do the Architectural Tour at night (boat ride on the Chicago River and out into Lake Michigan). The Chicago skyline at night is spectacular.

The gun shots brought back fond memories of high school trip to Vietnam!

The few times I've been there were enjoyable, but I couldn't live there.

If you have the time, do the Architectural Tour at night (boat ride on the Chicago River and out into Lake Michigan). The Chicago skyline at night is spectacular.

I was going to suggest the tour as well. If your schedule will only allow a day trip, it's still great. I did it during the day

• 4 weeks later...

We had 4 great days in The Windy City.

Friendly folks, great food, beautiful and clean downtown, and the Reds beat the Cubs in 10 innings at Wrigley. Really fun trip.

Italian beef at Al's, Chicago-style dogs at Portillo's, John Hancock Tower observation deck, Navy Pier, double-decker bus tour, architectural river cruise, and Millennium Park.

We loved Chicago. Going back for a week next year.

Thanks to all who contributed travel tips.