• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNHillbilly

shur is purdy, but i don't know if i'd feel right wearing one. It seems to give the "perception" that i have some official capacity.

Also, doesn't this defeat the purpose of Concealed Carry?

Jeff

I read a story on some other forum where a person commented that he was wearing his HCP badge next to his handgun on his hip ( or words to that effect) . Until then I never thought anyone would actually wear one of these things.

There are several sources I have seen for them in magazine ads or internet ads. I think I would have a private chuckle if I actually ever saw somebody sporting one.

Guest bkelm18

A thread very similar to this popped up on another forum I frequent. One user said he wears the badge in the event something does happen, he hopes the bad guy would see the badge, think he's a cop, and think twice about whatever illegal act he is committing or at least make the bad guy think twice or hesitate before attacking said person wearing phony badge. I then proceeded to lay into him about how much of a *bleeping* moron he was and so forth. Needless to say, I think they are a bad idea and would cause more trouble than it would save. Just my :2cents:.

Well the photo came from OpenCarry.org. That might explain some stuff.

I guess if you open carry, you want to reinforce that you do so legally? Of course you could be lying about having a permit and just buy the badge. If I was a cop, I'd probably be more likely to card you if you had the badge.

I just don't understand the purpose of calling attention to yourself as a packer.

Guest bkelm18
Well the photo came from OpenCarry.org. That might explain some stuff.

I guess if you open carry, you want to reinforce that you do so legally? Of course you could be lying about having a permit and just buy the badge. If I was a cop, I'd probably be more likely to card you if you had the badge.

I just don't understand the purpose of calling attention to yourself as a packer.

I don't understand it either. The only reinforcement that you need to carry legally is your HCP, not some poser wanna-be badge.

Guest bkelm18
I wear mine to the mall when I go to ninjitsu class.

Do you also bring your suitcase with the ceramic trauma plates in the event you get bogged down by sniper fire? :2cents:

I had one that someone had given me. I stuck it in the case and put $5 on it. Some guy came in and bought it. He has come back several times since looking for more. I am guessing he carries a gun but doesn't have a carry permit. I would further guess he couldn't pass the background check.

I had one that someone had given me. I stuck it in the case and put $5 on it. Some guy came in and bought it. He has come back several times since looking for more. I am guessing he carries a gun but doesn't have a carry permit. I would further guess he couldn't pass the background check.

Maybe you should have put $55 on it and let him Christian you down?

Guest CrazyLincoln

Geez. I wear one when go out all tacticool. It compliments my ninja outfit and my 12" 357 revolver with a rail, flashlight, and laser. I also enter any building by scaling it with my grappling hook and come in through the roof. For some reason I never get charged with impersonating an officer when they drag me away......

Guest ETS_Inc

Count me firmly in the camp that feels this is a good way to have a cop arrest you for impersonating a police officer.

As for the whole "maybe a bad guy will see it and change his mind" argument, what if that particular bad guy has no problem killing cops who get in his way?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>39-16-301. Criminal impersonation. —

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- Text -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(a) A person commits criminal impersonation who, with intent to injure or defraud another person:

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD> (1) Assumes a false identity;

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD> (2) Pretends to be a representative of some person or organization;

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD> (3) Pretends to be an officer or employee of the government; or

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD> (4) Pretends to have a handicap or disability.

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>(:lol: A person commits criminal impersonation who pretends to be a law enforcement officer for the purpose of:

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD> (1) Engaging in an activity that is ordinarily and customarily an activity established by law as a law enforcement activity; and

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD> (2) Causing another to believe that the person is a law enforcement officer.

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>© (1) Criminal impersonation under subsection (a) is a Class B misdemeanor. However, if the criminal impersonation was committed to falsely obtain a driver license or photo identification license, the maximum fine of five hundred dollars ($500) shall be imposed.

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=5></TD><TD colSpan=3 height=12></TD><TD rowSpan=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD> (2) Criminal impersonation under subsection (B) is a Class A misdemeanor.

</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3 height=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><!-- History -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>[Acts 1989, ch. 591, § 1; 1990, ch. 983, § 1; 1999, ch. 374, § 2; 2007, ch. 355, § 1.]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It's not clear cut, but there certainly is some potential for misidentification which could lead to trouble. Besides that, I personally think that attempting to present a misleading 'official' appearance using badges, lettered hats and the like is silly. And, since I open-carry when it's convenient, I'd prefer to make it obvious that I'm just a regular guy who acts responsibly and appears simply clean-cut... and wears a sidearm. A badge would work against me.

However, I suppose there are some situations which this could come in handy... honestly, if I were ever involved in a shooting I could see one of these being a useful tool to identify oneself as a likely good-guy to responding LEOs... but better carried in a holder or wallet to be shown only in such a situation.

:D

Guest bkelm18
Yea, we've had this discussion. If you wear or even own a Carry Permit badge, you are a toolbag :D

Well, that pretty much sums it up right there. Mods: Close thread, discussion over. Haha. :lol:

I have said it before ill say again.I would like to have one just for slits and giggles to pass around during half-time(footballs almost over,da**it)you can get them custom made for about same price,I would want mine to say something like mall ninja packin...etc

my only problem is when i get some extra dollars I end up buyoing ammo.

but for carry,its not a good idea,IMHO