How many different calibers have you used to kill a deer?

I love to hunt with different guns. I carry different guns depending on my mood. I started thinking about the different calibers I have used to kill a deer. Thought it might be a fun for everybody to list what they have used and which is their favorite. Here is my list:

Pistols:

.45 acp

.45 lc

.44 mag

.30-30 (contender)

Rifles:

.30-30

.30-06

.45-70 FAVORITE

.45 cal muzzleloader

.50 cal muzzleloader

Edited by KahrMan
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

Um. never thought a Silverado was a caliber. Is 30-06 comparable? :)

Seriously, I hope you and your passengers were not hurt in the deer vs truck collisions.

Guest GunTroll

I see you listed caliber(s) but we are listing cartridges.

280 Ackley IMP

270 Win

350 Rem Mag. Current favorite for close range 200yd and less work.

Guest Conrad

12 gauge

222 remington (first deer and more deer than any other caliber)

223 remington

243 winchester

270 winchester

30-06 springfield

338 winchester magnum

45 caliber muzzleloader

50 caliber muzzleloader(biggest buck to date)

100 grain broadhead

Handguns:

.45 Colt

.454 Casull

Shotgun / Rifle

12 Gauge

.257 Weatherby

.270 (All around favorite Deer caliber)

30-30

.30/06

Looking to add the .25/06 as well. Never killed one with a muzzle loader, either. Might be fun to try.

Rightwinger...how do like like that 444 Marlin? Been thinking about getting one.

I loved it but don't own one any longer. The length of the rifle makes it easy to get on target and I only used iron sights. Back when I was using it (in the 80's early 90's) we had not put up the first stand on our land. Sitting on the ground or moving slowly stalking, it's a great rifle. When we started setting up stands, rifles with scopes became the better option. Weight didn't matter any more either.

If you have an AR, you get the same big bullet and better ballistics with the .458 Socom and you just pin it on your regular lower and use standard mags. I only had one deer run after hitting it with the Socom and it only went about 20 yards.

I forgot to add my .50 caliber muzzle loaders. They work well too!

The boy has a 25-06 that I'm starting to really like. That may be an option in my future as well.

My favorite is my Browning Belgium 30-06

12 gauge

30-30

450 marlin

50 cal muzzleloader

44 mag single shot rifle

7mm

30-06

25 wssm

300 win mag

25-06

357 pistol

30 carbine

7.62x39 SKS

I believe that is it.

Oh and my other loaded gun my bare hands ;)