First Time 1911 Shooter

Well, this may sound crazy to many (maybe most) of you, but I shot a 1911 for the first time today. I now understand why so many people love them. I traded my Sig 556 for a Taurus PT1911 Stainless this week (thanks, HanSolo) and finally had a chance to pull the trigger today. Wow! What a wonderful shooter!

I grew up with my grandfather's revolver and got back into shooting several years ago. But I've limited myself to polymer until today. I don't think the PT1911 will be replacing my HK P30 on a full-time basis, but the difference in the guns is quite amazing. I'm almost afraid of getting my hands on anything of higher quality than the PT1911. I know my wife would shoot me with all of my guns if I get into the 1911 lovefest!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Oaklands

Welcome to the group. 1911's are in a class of their own. I love them. Accurate as all get out and a lot of fun to shoot. When you hold them, you know you have a real gun in your hand.

Guest Phantom6

Every man ought to have a 1911 or two (or more).

LINKS2K, is that a Springfield TRP I see in your collection there with that LesBaer Custom? Gotta love those agressive grip panels and stippled front strap.

I hope I don't start a flame war here, but I have a serious question about some of the higher end 1911s. I have two Kimbers (Tactical II Custom HD and Ultra Raptor II). Both of them are very fine guns, but I was wondering how they compare to Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or STI. There are several guns from each manufacturer that I would love to have, but before I shell out that kind of money for one I would like to know if they are worth it. Since most of my shooting will be at a piece of paper, I was wondering if I will get improved accuracy over my Kimbers. Are any of the higher end 1911s ammo sensitive? I typically use cheap Blazer ammo for practicing.

I would suggest that you try one before you buy it. I was extremely happy with my Kimber Ultra carry until I was at a range in Florida and someone let me shoot my first Ed Brown. After that I never looked back and Just Like you I wondered if they were worth the high price tag to me they are worth every cent but this decision must be made by the one spending the money :D

Yes they are sensitive to cheap ammo, the manufacturers recommend using premium ammunition so that is all that I feed mine

Edited by willis68

This is the first 1911 I shot back in 1968 Remington slide Colt frame Dad just gave it to me.

2010_0518Prom0001.jpg?t=1278267814

This was the second 1911 my Moms LLama Extra about 5 min later. I got it about a year ago.

lama.jpg?t=1278268037

Edited by SHbicycle
Every man ought to have a 1911 or two (or more).

LINKS2K, is that a Springfield TRP I see in your collection there with that LesBaer Custom? Gotta love those agressive grip panels and stippled front strap.

Yes, that is the TRP. I have heard that some people have problems with the grips. I must have really rough hands, because I never notice the aggressive panels or the strippling. I am too busy enjoying how well the gun shoots to notice.

Edited by LINKS2K
I hope I don't start a flame war here, but I have a serious question about some of the higher end 1911s. I have two Kimbers (Tactical II Custom HD and Ultra Raptor II). Both of them are very fine guns, but I was wondering how they compare to Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, or STI. There are several guns from each manufacturer that I would love to have, but before I shell out that kind of money for one I would like to know if they are worth it. Since most of my shooting will be at a piece of paper, I was wondering if I will get improved accuracy over my Kimbers. Are any of the higher end 1911s ammo sensitive? I typically use cheap Blazer ammo for practicing.

A Ford and a BMW will both get you from one place to another, but the experience isn't the same. Depending on your needs one will be a better choice than the other. A less expensive 1911 will function, but not the same as a Wilson or Les Baer. My first 1911 was a Colt, my last a Wilson. Each is an excellent pistol, but they are very different.

Guest Phantom6
Yes, that is the TRP. I have heard that some people have problems with the grips. I must have really rough hands, because I never notice the aggressive panels or the strippling. I am too busy enjoying how well the gun shoots to notice.

Well, those pistols are made for professional use and used by folks like the FBI's HRT and other units of the CIRG as well as SWAT units around the world. Those folks usually wear gloves when they work.

Well, those pistols are made for professional use and used by folks like the FBI's HRT and other units of the CIRG as well as SWAT units around the world. Those folks usually wear gloves when they work.

Actually, the TRP Professional (Springfield custom shop pistol) is the model that the FBI uses, it is a heck of a pistol but quite expensive at $2500.00 a piece and over a one year wait for one to be built, there is no difference in the ones that the FBI receives and the one Civilians receive, they are assembled by the same people and the smiths that put them together do not know which ones are going to the FBI. I have talked with the Springfield custom shop at length about this pistol, I will have one someday :D

PC9111.jpgSA_Custom_Pro-1.jpg

Here is the reply I got from Springfield's custom shop when I asked the difference in the TRP and the Pro a few years ago:

The TRP is a factory pistol which has been upgraded with a few features to make it look like the full custom Professional model (FBI SWAT pistol).

The Professional is a full custom pistol that begins with a national match frame which has the oversized slide rails cut into the frame in our Geneseo machine shop. It uses all custom parts, including the Springfield Custom tool steel hammer & sear, Nowlin barrel & bushing, S&A mag well, Wilson ambi thumb safety, Novak low mount rear sight, dovetail front sight, match skeletonized trigger, standard guide rod system, and 6 specially tuned Metalform 7 round magazines. These pistols are hand assembled by custom gunsmiths in our Geneseo custom shop, under the supervision of master gunsmith David Williams. The Professional models meet or exceed all specifications of the FBI SWAT contract, including the accuracy requirement of 1.5" or better at 25 yards with Remington Golden Saber ammunition. The civilian pistols and the FBI pistols are built at the same time, with the gunsmiths never knowing whether a civilian or FBI agent will be using the pistol. These pistols are built approx. every 45 days, with the FBI order being filled first and civilian orders getting all of the remaining from the production run. These pistols do not have front cocking serrations or full length guide rods because the FBI chose not to have these features on their pistols. (Front cocking serrations catch on clothing and full length guide rods require additional tools for disassembly.) These pistols are finished with the Black T finish done by Walter Birdsong in MS.

Deb, Custom Shop Coordinator

Springfield Inc.

420 West Main St.

Geneseo, IL 61254

(800) 680-6866

customshop@springfield-armory.com

Edited by willis68

The TRP is a fine pistol and probably as accurate as I'll ever need. I had reservations about the wait and price of the PRO model, but called Deb at the Custom Shop and ordered one. After I handled it the first time, I was satisfied that it had been a good decision. This is an excellent pistol!

The TRP is a fine pistol and probably as accurate as I'll ever need. I had reservations about the wait and price of the PRO model, but called Deb at the Custom Shop and ordered one. After I handled it the first time, I was satisfied that it had been a good decision. This is an excellent pistol!

In my opinion the TRP is the best "production" 1911 on the market, having said that Springfield armory custom pistols are on a completely different level.

How long of a wait was it for your Pro? I will either get the Professional or Les Baer's equivalent in the S.R.P sometime next year, Congrats they are some of the finest 1911s made

Edited by willis68
Guest Hillbilly Dan

Just wait untill you have run 500 or so rounds through it. It gets even better. Then as others have said, you go up to better builders of the wonderul 1911. It becomes something of a way of life.

Enjoy.

Has taken some 30 years to accumulate what I should have started with but they didn't make next level Baers and Wilsons back then. Sure am glad they do now. ;)

Read one of the post asking if a Wilson is worth the extra cash. Well, for me, once I shot one I could not believe it. The Les Baer Premier II done me the same way. If you pursue tight groups at the range (like me) or you want to dance cans at long range in the backyard (like me), you might just sell 3 pistols to buy one (like I did). It's worth it. :rolleyes: